Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20628 Discussions

XE graphics shown as UHD

OldAgeAde
Beginner

I recently purchased a new Lenovo all-in-one desktop with a 12th Gen Intel Core i5-1240P processor which according to the spec has XE iris graphics but it is being shown as UHD graphics on the system. The system has 8GB of RAM in a single channel. I believe it should only be seen as UHD if there are less than 80 EUs but this processor has 80EUs. Is there any way to implement XE graphics in this setup?

OldAgeAde_0-1680946650150.png

OldAgeAde_2-1680946739029.png

OldAgeAde_1-1680946687788.png

0 Kudos
17 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You've only shown CPU-Z examples and CPU-Z is a third-party application and thus subject to bugs and misinformation. What is being shown in Device Manager (for example)?

...S

0 Kudos
OldAgeAde
Beginner

...same thing in device manager...

OldAgeAde_0-1681031697887.png

0 Kudos
OldAgeAde
Beginner
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

<<< Sarcasm enabled >>>

Well, if the drivers say it, it must be true!      ;^)

<<< Sarcasm disabled (well, to the extend my sarcasm can be) >>>

Sigh! Intel Customer Support is going to need to look at this...

...S

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @OldAgeAde  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

I am sorry to hear what is happening with your PC, I will gladly assist you here. 

We have a forum for those specific products and questions, so we are moving it to the Graphics Forum.

Could you please confirm if this is the model of your PC? 

ThinkCentre Neo 30a Intel (24”) All-in-One 

Also, please run this utility and provide us with the report: 

Intel® System Support Utility for Windows. 

Note: Make sure to mark the box that says "everything" before pressing the Scan button. After that, click on "Next>" and select "Save" and then, attach the .txt file. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
OldAgeAde
Beginner

Hi Jocelyn,

the model of the PC is IdeaCentre AIO 3 24IAP7.

I've attached the text file from the System Support Utility.

0 Kudos
OldAgeAde
Beginner

....just a bit more info on the model, the full title is LENOVO IdeaCentre AIO 3i 23.8" All-in-One PC - Intel® Core™ i5,
512 GB SSD, Black 20% 1 £549.00 £549.00 

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @OldAgeAde  

Thank you for the information provided. 

I have found the Specifications PDF of the IdeaCentre AIO 3 24IAP7 and in the Graphics section, page 2, it indicates that "Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics capability requires the system to be configured with dual-channel memory. On the system with single-channel memory, Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics will function as Intel UHD Graphics." 

graphics.JPG

Your processor has Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics Eligible, which means that if you have dual-channel memory, it will work and show as Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics, however, you have single-channel memory, that's why it will function as Intel® UHD Graphics. 

processor.JPG

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @OldAgeAde  

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. If you need additional assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us back. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
OldAgeAde
Beginner
It seems my issue has been dealt with on two separate threads, neither of which has resolved the problem. The other thread was dealt with by Nerja.
Basically the upshot of the dialogue is that I am claiming I was sold a product with an incorrect description. The pc was bought from currys but they would have taken the specification from Lenovo, which states that the pc has Iris xe Graphics when in fact that is impossible because it only has single channel ram.
So would you agree that I have been sold a product which does not match the specification?
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I don't agree with your assessment. IMHO, you *do* have an Iris Xe graphics engine; it just doesn't operate up to its fullest potential because only single-channel memory is available. To me, it is a curiosity why Intel would use single- vs. dual-channel memory to differentiate in the description string (likely marketing blather).

You can improve the performance by increasing the memory to dual-channel. You chose to go with a cheaper solution that did not include dual-channel memory. Feel free to upgrade the memory yourself when you can afford to do so. It will then call itself Iris Xe.

Just saying,

...S

0 Kudos
OldAgeAde
Beginner

..yeah, but the point is the product is advertised as "...having Iris Xe graphics...", which to means it has Iris Xe graphics available out of the box. Nowhere does it specify that it will need extra ram installed to enable Iris Xe graphics. Surely you can see where I'm coming from on this matter?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Nope, sorry, I don't think you have a case. It *has* Iris Xe graphics. It is available right out of the box. It's being called UHD Graphics and its not running at its full potential, but that's just semantics. If you really want the full potential, I say quit your whining and add some  additional memory. You get what you pay for and you obviously didn't pay for Iris Xe performance.

Sorry, I gotta calls 'em like I sees 'em,

...S

OldAgeAde
Beginner

My apologies, I am getting my threads mixed up. My beef is with Lenovo (who I mistakenly thought I was talking to),  they advertised the PC as having Iris graphics out of the box, and clearly this isn't the case because they have failed to install dual channel memory. I fully accept this isn't an Intel issue, I have a laptop with exactly the same processor which has dual channel ram and Iris graphics is functioning as expected.

Sorry for the confusion.

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @OldAgeAde  

We are sorry to hear that you had other expectations about your laptop. 

We recommend you to contact your Laptop Manufacturer regarding their information or if you need assistance with the memory setup, in case you want to set it up as dual-channel memory. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Heromao
Beginner
My Lenovo laptop i5 12th (single channel memory). Also show like this . I don't know what Intel thinking about . This is not fair . I have power iris xe graphics. But I can't use this power.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What's not fair is us having to listen to you whining about the bad purchase that you made.

Intel details that Iris Xe Graphics support is not available in designs with only single-channel memory - that Graphics support will degrade to UHD if only single-channel memory is available.

I would be returning this laptop for a full refund. It has single-channel, non-upgradeable memory yet Lenovo is advertising it as having support for Iris Xe Graphics. That's a false statement. This is grounds for demanding a full refund and, while I am no lawyer, it seems to me that this is grounds for a False Advertising lawsuit. If you can prove that Lenovo is knowingly doing this, well, that would be grounds for a Class-Action lawsuit.

Just saying,

...S

0 Kudos