Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

XE graphics stuck on 750mhz

Ziranei
Beginner

i own Asus flow Z13 with 12900h and asus does not provide newer drivers than 101.1631 and i cannot update xe graphics drivers to intel ones,because they will run at 750mhz when idle instead of 100mhz. 

Is there any settings i can change so they will run normally or i am stuck with old asus ones?

I can see gpu sometimes dropping to 100mhz, but it is only for 1sec, boosting up to 1450mhz is not problem.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

Ziranei, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this matter, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Is this a new computer?

When did you purchase it?

How are you detecting that the Intel® graphics drivers are running at 750mhz when idle instead of 100mhz? Please provide a screenshot.

Besides that, is there any graphics problem with your machine?

Did you notice this problem with the Intel® graphics drivers before?

If not, when did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this problem?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Ziranei
Beginner

Not new computer, over 6 months old.

I am using usually hwinfo to monitor, but Intel Arc Control is showing same.

There are no graphics issues, but i notice higher fan activity and lower battery life.

Yes, i tried drivers 3222 when they split from HD graphics and there was same issue.

There were none hardware changes.

Windows 10

It happens no matter where.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Ziranei, Thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

For this scenario, it is important to mention that when using mobile devices, such as laptops, everything is customized by the manufacturer of the computer, they can enable/disable BIOIS settings as well as features and functions of the machine in order to comply with the functionality they advertised for their products.

Perfect, it is great to know that there are no graphics problems with your computer. According to the SSU document, the graphics driver version currently installed on your computer is 31.0.101.3790.

We always recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform. I looked on ASUS website and there are no drivers for Windows* 10. The graphics driver version available is V30.0.15.1278 which belongs to Nvidia and it is for Windows* 11:

https://rog.asus.com/laptops/rog-flow/rog-flow-z13-2022-series/helpdesk_download/

Just to confirm, is there any specific task that you do, or applications or tools that you are running that cause the XE graphics to get stuck on 750mhz, or does it happen also when the machine is in an idle state?

Please provide a detailed description of the steps that you follow that produce the issue.

In this case, we suggest to verify the Windows Power Settings and make sure the power mode is set to: "High Performace". 

Also to get in the BIOS and check if there is a setting that might be restricting the GPU or the processor from going higher than 750mhz.

If the issue remains, please run the tool in the link below, it does a GPU stress test. While running the program, open "Task Manager" to confirm that in fact the processor is stuck at 750mhz and please provide a screenshot of "Task Manager" with the results:

https://www.matthew-x83.com/online/gpu-test.php

Third-party tools like hwinfo might not be that accurate in the results. In order to rule out a possible hardware issue with the Intel® processor, we recommend to install and run the Intel® processor Diagnostic Tool, it does an overall test on the unit and if it passes the test it means it is working properly:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15951/intel-processor-diagnostic-tool.html?wapkw=intel%20processor%20diagnostic%20tool

Once you get the chance, please let us know the results.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Ziranei
Beginner

Problem is not boosting up over 750mhz, it is getting under 750mhz when idle. GPU will stay at 750mhz as minimal frequency no matter if it is idle, browsing web or watching videos. 

There are no gpu options in bios that i can change that control performance.

As for asus website, if you click on show all you will find intel drivers there, in past there was windows10 section but it was removed but all drivers for windows11 work fine for windows10. With those drivers from asus gpu will stay at 100mhz when idle.

Intel® processor Diagnostic Tool is passing fine but there never was issue with CPU, only with GPU.

As for hwinfo, i like to use it more than intel arc control but here you have screenshot with it, but for some reason if i leave it running in foreground gpu frequency will start jumping up and down like crazy.

0 Kudos
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

If your GPU is stuck at medium frequency, something  might be calling DirectX12 SetStablePowerState

Find the culprit via Windows clean boot

eg i can see MSI Afterburner on the screenshot

0 Kudos
Ziranei
Beginner

If i do clean boot gpu is still stuck on 750mhz. MSI Afterburner is only for tweaking nvidia gpu and most of time is not running.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Ziranei, Thank you very much for sharing those aspects and the pictures.

We will do further research on this matter. As soon as I get any updates, I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Ziranei, 

Based on our test, this seems to be happening to the integrated graphics. As a test and to compare results, please try to install an old driver's version from Asus and share the results.

Thanks for your comprehension.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
Ziranei
Beginner

When using old ASUS drivers gpu will go to 100mhz when idle or just browsing web. I added hwinfo and ssu log.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Ziranei, 

Thanks for the information and comprehension. I will continue with the investigation in order to help you further with this matter. I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Ziranei, 

Thanks for your patience. Based on your issue, I recommend you use the latest drivers from Asus as they guarantee the expected behavior by the manufacturer (ASUS).

In case you would like to update and there isn't a driver posted by Asus, you can get in contact with them to request a newer customized driver.

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos