Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20623 Discussions

XPS L501x freeze randomly because of HD intel video card driver

shimodd
Novice

Hi

From few months i have a random freeze issue.

I changed, HDD to SDD, i changed memory and reinstall win10 from scratch but issue still there.

It happens randomly, screen freeze and keyboard and mouse are unusable.

After many tests i found 2 ways where it does not freeze.

1. unconnect power supply qnd run on batterie (also tried a different power supply but same problem).

2. disable intel graphic card driver and use win10 default driver (works even with power supply connected).

I tried many old graphic drivers but i was not able to fix this issue, can you please help, I'm out of idea...

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AlHill
Super User

So the Intel support engineers can have more information about your system, Download, run, and save the results of this utility as a text file:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Then ATTACH the text file using the instructions under the reply window ( Drag and drop here or browse files to attach ).

0 Kudos
shimodd
Novice

Thanks for your answer. I attached report.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Well, that is the IDSA report, not the SSU report.

Moving on, your processor i5-560M (from 2010) is not supported on Windows 10.  More importantly, your HD graphics are not supported.  You will be using the Microsoft generic driver which lacks performance and features.  There is no updated driver from Intel.

However, your nvidia GT 420M may save you, but its driver is severly out of date - 2010.  But, nvidia has a driver from 2018 that supports Windows 10:

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/132841/en-us

If you install this driver, and set the graphics options to use this driver, you "should" be ok.  How to do this, I do not know.  Check your nvidia options.

Really, the best option for you is to get a new(er) machine that is supported on Windows 10.

As always, all standard disclaimers apply.

0 Kudos
shimodd
Novice

Thanks for your answer.

As you may understand i don't want to spend money since my computer is working perfectly (exept this issue) and is powerfull enough (do not do game)...

Moreover, it was working very well under win10 for years. just recently (update?) it got this problem...

I checked what you said about nvidia card. But seems that nvidia is just a co GPU and intel card is still needed anyway to connect video data to screen.

I tried some test, and actually when i deinstall intel graphic it is not really deinstalled, it just use generic video card driver. And in this case it works without issue. I could have stay like this but resolution is very bad...

So it is obviously an intel graphic driver issue since with the generic one i have no problem.

Any idea how to fix this driver issue? Looks like they force me to buy new device....

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

There is no "new" driver.  It is time to retire your device and get a new(er) one.

0 Kudos
shimodd
Novice
i don t think so.
1)
why when i use it on batterie mode there is no problem?
try to put same power profile than batterie but does not work.
2)
why generic driver is ok?
i m ok with generic driver if i can have an appropriate resolution.
any idea for a generic driver working at 1920*1080?
0 Kudos
shimodd
Novice
not sure what is the purpose of your comment...
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Do not worry.  He is a spammer.  I flagged his post.

0 Kudos