Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Yes, you can install Intel's drivers, even if your computer complains

TTee0
Beginner

My post here is not a question, but a comment. I ran into a problem with instability on my Dell Precision 7540 laptop that seemed to be graphics related. At least that is what the cryptic blue screen messages seemed to indicate. Dell was several versions and many months behind on repackaging Intel's drivers. My machine also has an NVidia Quadro card.

Various people have suggested that forcing an installation of Intel's latest drivers on a machine with dual cards could lead to unspecified bad things. I have not found this to be the case. In fact, installing the new Intel drivers, despite the machine's protestations and online warnings, has seemingly solved the problem. The Adobe suite works fine and the blue screens have (fingers crossed) gone away. I am currently on the 1909 release of Win 10. I realize this is just an anecdotal report, but for those waiting on manufacturers to release repackaged drivers that may never come, I used Intel's latest drivers on my dual-card machine and I am glad I did. I used the method detailed here which references the new .inf files packaged with the DCH drivers.

https://medium.com/@amitgujar15/fix-for-driver-being-installed-is-not-validated-for-this-computers-issue-install-intel-dch-5e91fea009da

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Thank you for this information.

Leon

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Nothing special. The procedure is called the "have disk" method, and has been used many times.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005629/graphics-drivers.html

And, what you and Amit missed was that this is not recommended:

"Can I do ‘INF/Have-disk installation’ for the graphics Windows DCH Driver?

No. This method bypasses the Intel installer, which is designed to install the new DCH graphics drivers. Doing this can result in minor to catastrophic issues on your system and system instability."

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000031275/graphics-drivers.html

You certainly want to avoid those catastrophic issues.

Doc

0 Kudos
TTee0
Beginner

> Nothing special.

Thanks for this compelling insight. Truly. It is deeply appreciated.

> The procedure is called the "have disk" method, and has been used many times.

Indeed, and even more frequently when the Intel tool says "You cannot install this driver," the answer that is given here is, "Well, you are out of luck. Talk to the manufacturer."

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello @TTee0​ ,

1. I'm sure that it wasn't Scott's intention to disparage your valuable information that you shared with the Community. The thing is that the way you have done this update is not the recommended method.
  2. Every day we are reading in this forum, people complaining not be able to install the DCH Graphics Driver. Every day we are giving answers for them for example you may see the last thread, I've answered a day ago. The correct way to install this driver in case that you are going to uodate a legacy driver to DCH, is a clean installation.

Regards

Leon

0 Kudos