Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

banding and/or washed out colors.

SLumm
Beginner

Hi, i have banding on intel 630 on my laptop screen. Display should be decent enough to show banding test without banding, I am using old version of driver because when i use usb-c to hdmi converter i get washed out colors on my external monitor, but old driver doesn't suffer from this. I suspect the problem is that driver doesn't allow to set quantization range or something else.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello neithermanner

Thank you for joining the community.

Could you provide me with a video of the banding test that you are running on the system?

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
SLumm
Beginner

Here's video of the issue and photo of the end result. It's bit hard to see in the video but it sort of adjusts to final banding after you open the image or move it by scrolling.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello neithermanner

Thank you for your response.

Please try to update the graphics driver with the driver version provided by the Lenovo to your system (https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/cr/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/yoga-series/yoga-720-15ikb/downloads https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/cr/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/yoga-series/yoga-720-15ikb/downloads) once the drivers are downloaded, I would recommend performing a clean installation of the graphics driver.

Please follow the steps below to uninstall the graphics driver:
  1. On the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R, then type in devmgmt.msc
  2. Expand the Display Adapters section.
  3. Find the Intel® Graphics Driver. The driver can also be called the Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver (Intel® GMA Driver).
  4. Right-click the Intel Graphics Driver and select Uninstall.
  5. Select the checkbox Delete the driver software for this device.
  6. Do not reboot the system
  7. Find the NVIDIA® graphics driver
  8. Right-click the NVIDIA® graphics Driver and select Uninstall.
  9. Select the checkbox Delete the driver software for this device.
  10. Reboot the computer after the uninstall process has finished.
Once the reboot is completed install the graphics driver, first install the Intel® HD graphics driver, restore the system, and complete the installation of the NVIDIA® graphics driver.

Note: complete the Uninstall/install of the driver with the system out of internet connection to avoid any automatic update.

Does the issue happen if you use a different video connection ( HDMI® to HDMI®, DP to DP, USB-C to DP)?

Best Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello neithermanner

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further help. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
SLumm
Beginner

I have had that driver, but I would be just trading banding on internal screen, to having washed out colors on external one. Only usb-c is available, no HDMI, or DP.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello neithermanner

Thank you for your response and for the formation provided, could you provide me with the information on the following link: /thread/77761 https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761 to continue the investigation your case.

Best Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello neithermanner

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further help. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
SLumm
Beginner

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Banding on internal display.

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%):

Often (51-99%):X

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Lenovo Yoga 720 15 inch

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Nvidia 1050 also

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

LFP, see .dat file

<tr st...
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello neithermanner

Thank you for the information.

Have you tested the Quantization configuration on the system, advice to complete the configuration without the external display connected, once the configuration is completed test the system behavior

Reference link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000029572/graphics-drivers.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000029572/graphics-drivers.html

By the way, please let me know the model of the display that you are using.

Hope this help.

Best Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
SLumm
Beginner

setting is not available on this driver neither without or with external monitor plugged in. When I had newer drivers I also tweaked the video range when on usb-c to hdmi with unsatisfactory results in terms of colors. This thread has similiar results

Display model: Chi Mei [Unknown Model: CMN15E8] N156HCE-EN1 CMN N156HCE-EN1

Also this week after unplugging external monitor, internal monitor didn't have banding on test, but so far I haven't been able to replicate that.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello neithermanner

Thank you for the information.

Please provide me with a video example of both displays behavior and step by step to replicate the system behavior/issue.

Best Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello neithermanner

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
SLumm
Beginner

I managed to fix to issue by disabling adaptive brightness in intel settings. Thanks for help regardless.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello neithermanner

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos