Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

bandwidth exceeded on custom resolution

CJonk
Beginner

Hello!

I have just bought a new monitor. The information Center show the monitor can display 2560 by 1440 (60 Hz):

But then when i try and make the custom resolution, I get the following message: "The custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity."

I do have a custom resolution of 2560 x 1440 (40 Hz) working... I'm not sure if 60 is supposed to be better or anything, but since the information center is telling me it should be 60 Hz, I kinda want it to be 60 Hz.

Is my HD Graphics 3000 simply not capable? Could that be it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, Yonkor:

In this case, the way to go would be using 2560 x 1440 (40 Hz) which is the resolution supported, with possible future updates of the graphics panel, the capabilities of the device would be updated.

If you require any further information or support, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C

View solution in original post

3 Replies
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, Yonkor:

In this case, the way to go would be using 2560 x 1440 (40 Hz) which is the resolution supported, with possible future updates of the graphics panel, the capabilities of the device would be updated.

If you require any further information or support, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C

CJonk
Beginner

Hi Esteban,

thank you very much for your answer. Since I have no real understanding of computer screens and how they work, I do have a few follow-up questions:

- Could using a lower frequenty (Hz) harm my screen in any way?

- In what way would the screen perform better if the frequenty would be set to 60Hz.

- Is a possible future update likely to happen?

- The highest frequenty I can set it to is 44Hz. Is higher in this case better? Or should I leave it at 40Hz?

I hope you can find some time for me to answer these questions.

Kind regards,

Yonkor

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, Yonkor:

I would like to provide you with some additional information about refresh rate and how it does it work.

Please check this video related to this matter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCWZ_kWTB9w Monitor & TV Refresh Rates as Fast As Possible - YouTube

I am current to this channel, they are always providing with simple and consist explanations of different techish things.

-No, it would only affect the frequency of the images refreshed in your display.

-It would be better in certain situations as explained in the video (gaming).

-I cannot assure an update would be released for this.

-This would be of your choice, if 44Hz is available, I would go with that.

I'm positive that this information is useful for you, if additional support is needed from our end, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos