Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20620 Discussions

can I increase dedicated video memory?

arshad07
Beginner

I have a MI notebook ultra laptop with intel i5, intel iris xe graphics and 16 gb of ram but only 128mb of dedicated video memory. I did try to increase it by registry editor method (didn't work) and also the BIOS one (doesn't seem to have that option in bios) . I would like to increase my dedicated video memory or would like to know if is it even  possible to so.. and thanks for your help

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You are in the wrong forum.

Also, dedicated  memory will do nothing for you, or for windows, and there is no registry setting that will help, regardless of you may have heard,  Windows will allocate up to 50% of your system memory for graphics usage.   Any games that talk about dedicated video memory are old and/or broken.   It is time to upgrade them to new, modern games.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
arshad07
Beginner
Thank you for your help
I didn't know much about the forums i choose the first one..

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @arshad07 

Please read How much graphics memory does my computer have? to have  additional explanation about Graphics Memory in Intel Integrated GPU.

Leon

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

While we are at it, let's talk about what you are asking for in general. People typically ask this question when they have had a piece of software (mostly older games) complain that there is not enough video memory to run properly. Unless your system is under-equipped (i.e. 4GB of memory (RAM) or less), you can have plenty of video memory available to you (up to 50% of the available RAM can be allocated as video memory). It is thus the software that you are running that is incorrectly making the claim that there is not enough video memory. If it is also refusing to run, then it is even buggier. You need to contact the developers of this software and have them provide you with a version of their software that has this bug fixed. There is no other solution available; they (the software developers) are responsible for this issue.

Sorry, reality bites,

...S

0 Kudos