Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

cl_khr_d3d11_sharing causes tearing and artifacts on DG2/A380 and DG1

nyanmisaka
Beginner

Hello there! I got some tearing and artifacts when sharing textures between the D3D11 and OpenCL. As you can see, there's a noticeable tearing in the image.

212116439-a032fc87-b96a-4ef3-8cc0-1602c1cfc271.png

212118927-95a130b4-8fd3-4f1b-bfc8-b7755fb43938.png

Here's the main procedures to decode and share a video frame in FFmpeg used in our software:

1, hwcontext_d3d11va
- Create D3D11 device on A380, set ID3D10Multithread_SetMultithreadProtected to true.
- Create ID3D11Texture2D texture array with D3D11_RESOURCE_MISC_SHARED.

2, hwcontext_opencl
- Create the OpenCL context with CL_CONTEXT_INTEROP_USER_SYNC=0 on same D3D11 device.
- Use subresource to create Y and UV images from the ID3D11Texture2D texture array with clCreateFromD3D11Texture2DKHR and the cl_intel_d3d11_nv12_media_sharing extension.

3, d3d11va hwaccel decoder
- ID3D11VideoDecoder decode a frame as NV12 or P010 to the ID3D11Texture2D texture array.

4, hwcontext_opencl
- Accquire the image from ID3D11Texture2D texture array with clEnqueueAcquireD3D11ObjectsKHR and wait the event.
- Copy the image to host for debugging.
- Release the accquired image with clEnqueueReleaseD3D11ObjectsKHR and wait the event.

5, uninit and cleanup the decoder and hwcontexts

Once I set the decoder thread count to 1 "-threads 1" in FFmpeg, it gives me tearing and artifacts in the output image.

I only notice the issue on DG2/A380 and a few Xe graphics such as DG1 Max, both are Gen12 platform with the latest WHQL driver 4091 installed. For comparison I also tried the same CLI on an AMD GPU and it works fine.

So I suspect there are some flaws in the Gen12 Windows driver since the cl_khr_d3d11_sharing extension claimed that the driver is responsible for providing the synchronization guarantee if I set CL_CONTEXT_INTEROP_USER_SYNC=0 on context creation.

The test video is taken from http://www.larmoire.info/jellyfish/media/jellyfish-120-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit.mkv and here's the test command for FFmpeg:

./ffmpeg.exe -init_hw_device d3d11va=dx -init_hw_device opencl=ocl@dx `
-hwaccel_device dx -filter_hw_device ocl `
-hwaccel d3d11va -hwaccel_output_format d3d11 -threads 1 `
-c:v hevc -i "jellyfish-120-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit.mkv" -an -sn `
-vf "hwmap=derive_device=opencl,format=opencl,hwdownload,format=p010" `
-c:v hevc_qsv -preset veryfast -global_quality 30 -g:v 120 -t 30 -y "tearing_artifacts.mp4"

You can try the command with our pre-built FFmpeg or build the FFmpeg from source with this patch applied to enable the MISC_SHARED flag for D3D11 sharing.

The attachment file is the output video from my A380 and my OS is Windows 10 22H2 19045.2546.

I posted this in compute-runtime repository last month but didn't get a reply. Hope you guys can help me solve it.

Thanks in advance!

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jean_Intel

Hello nyanmisaka,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing tearing and artifacts when sharing textures between the D3D11 and OpenCL.

We want to investigate this issue. Please, provide us with a report using the Intel®️ System Support Utility (Intel®️ SSU). This report will gather information about your system, such as Operating System Built, Driver, BIOS versions, etc.

• Download the Intel SSU
  • Open the application and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel®️ SSU will take you to the "Summary View." 
  • Click on the menu where it says: "Summary" to change it to "Detailed View." 
  • To save your scan: click "Next"; then "Save." 

Best regards,

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
nyanmisaka
Beginner

Thanks for you instant reply!

The required SSU log is attached.

In the mean while, I updated the driver to the beta version 31.0.101.4123 with no luck.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello nyanmisaka,

Thank you for the information provided.

Let us look into this and we will get back to you at our earliest convenience.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello nyanmisaka,

We appreciate your patience.

We were unable to reproduce this issue, and since you are a developer, please, create an account to submit your inquiry in our Intel®️ Developer Zone, as the document you refer to comes from this website. So, you receive further troubleshooting support and get access to documentation. 

Intel®️ Developer Zone - Contact Page 

Best regards,

Jean O. 

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello nyanmisaka,

We hope you are doing fine.

We have not heard back from you. So we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards.

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos