Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

graphics card replacement-Can I , & which intel one would you recommend?

Lafite1968
Beginner

Gentemen/ Ladies,

Once again I am writing for advices. Please first see the attached youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyUzACH8KVw&feature=youtu.be vertical line screen problem - YouTube

If I am not mistaken, i think my laptop's graphics card is dying, and needs a replacement. Since Intel makes great products, I would like to buy a intel graphics card to replace the famous faulty Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT. The question is, which one would you recommend?

My laptop Spec: Sony VAIO VGN-AR770

RAM: 4GB

SSD x2 = 500GB

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.6 Ghz

Intel RAID, currently setting RAID-0

Original OS Vista 32 bits Ultimate, now 64 bits Windows Pro SP1

Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT

I ran the hardware diagnostic, the CPU is good, all other hardware(s) are also good, except "video section" which has a "error". I am trying to avoid a replacement of motherboard.

Thank you in advance,

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlHill
Super User

Is your operating system Windows 10 or Windows 7?

Your processor model number will be one of these:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9500 (Configuration 1),

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9300 (Configuration 2),

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T8300 (Configuration 3),

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T8100 (Configuration 4)

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7250 (Configuration 5)

Your graphics is nVidia:

NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT GPU with Total Available 512MB Dedicated Video RAM

And your chipset is"

Mobile Intel® PM965 Express Chipset

This information came from : https://docs.sony.com/release//specs/VGNAR770CTO_mksp.pdf https://docs.sony.com/release//specs/VGNAR770CTO_mksp.pdf

This means your laptop is from around 2007. The processor and chipset are not supported on Windows 10. And, because this is a laptop, it is extremely unlikely that you will be able to change your graphics card, nor can you add Intel graphics.

Getting a replacement board for your laptop is also not a good path to follow.

The best option for you is to get a new laptop, with Windows 10. But, before you do anything, please make certain that you have your data backed up some usb stick or cloud storage. And, if you need to retrieve product keys for any Microsoft Office or Adobe software that you may have purchased, please do so along with the install media.

I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but the laptop is too old to try to repair at a reasonable cost and your chance of success is limited. Plus, it is not supported on Windows 10.

You will then have full support for the hardware, software, and a warranty. And, if you are a gamer, better performance. Just be certain to get a laptop that supports switchable graphics, and not just Intel graphics. This will probably cost more, but you will be glad you did. If you cannot, and are a gamer, please check the version of Intel graphics on your new laptop and check to see if it is supported by your game(s).

Also, if your graphics are going bad, then your motherboard and/or processor may be well on the way to failure as well. Thus, the reason you should make a backup of your data now.

Sorry, I cannot help more.

Doc

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Is your operating system Windows 10 or Windows 7?

Your processor model number will be one of these:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9500 (Configuration 1),

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9300 (Configuration 2),

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T8300 (Configuration 3),

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T8100 (Configuration 4)

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7250 (Configuration 5)

Your graphics is nVidia:

NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT GPU with Total Available 512MB Dedicated Video RAM

And your chipset is"

Mobile Intel® PM965 Express Chipset

This information came from : https://docs.sony.com/release//specs/VGNAR770CTO_mksp.pdf https://docs.sony.com/release//specs/VGNAR770CTO_mksp.pdf

This means your laptop is from around 2007. The processor and chipset are not supported on Windows 10. And, because this is a laptop, it is extremely unlikely that you will be able to change your graphics card, nor can you add Intel graphics.

Getting a replacement board for your laptop is also not a good path to follow.

The best option for you is to get a new laptop, with Windows 10. But, before you do anything, please make certain that you have your data backed up some usb stick or cloud storage. And, if you need to retrieve product keys for any Microsoft Office or Adobe software that you may have purchased, please do so along with the install media.

I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but the laptop is too old to try to repair at a reasonable cost and your chance of success is limited. Plus, it is not supported on Windows 10.

You will then have full support for the hardware, software, and a warranty. And, if you are a gamer, better performance. Just be certain to get a laptop that supports switchable graphics, and not just Intel graphics. This will probably cost more, but you will be glad you did. If you cannot, and are a gamer, please check the version of Intel graphics on your new laptop and check to see if it is supported by your game(s).

Also, if your graphics are going bad, then your motherboard and/or processor may be well on the way to failure as well. Thus, the reason you should make a backup of your data now.

Sorry, I cannot help more.

Doc

0 Kudos
Lafite1968
Beginner

Hello Al,

First of all, thank you for yr reply.

Second, you impressed me, as other Intel guys and gals here, as always, i only told you a little info about my laptop, but you could pretty much know my situation already...Bravo !

To answer yr question:

Yes, I am running on Windows 7 Professional 64 bits, not Windows 10.

Yes, the chipset is Intel PM965 Core 2 Duo T9500/ 2.6Ghz

I always appreciate when people gives me a straight talk...yeah,...although it is sad to hear...and i just recently replaced the old 2 hard drives with SSD drives-$200+. This old lady was worth over $3000+ back in 2007, a customized model. Runs great until the blue color columns vertical lines appear.

So,...no way could I replace the graphics card itself?? I remember sometime last year i opened the laptop, removed the heat-sink and applied thermal paste, I remember seeing the graphics card....can I unscrew to unplug the piece and pop a new one in ??

Thanks,....

p.s. it's not the $$ issue, one 1 hand, i have another sony Z series small laptop, it's just these days, i can't find some truly "real" laptop, not a big fan of apple stuff, not a fan of tablets, not a big fan of windows 10- too much problems with privacy issues and drivers problem(s) Thank you

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

If the laptop nvidia graphics is able to be removed and replaced, you will have to get the maintanence document from Sony on how to do this. You will have to check with Sony to see if the card can be replaced only with the exact same card, or if there are other models of cards that can be used.

Doc

0 Kudos
Lafite1968
Beginner

Hi Al,

Sorry for the delay, i took longer time than I expected....I believe you are correct, the Nvidia graphics card does not have screws on 4 corners, the one on the left is intel one, that has a flat screw,....i removed the thermal paste and used alcohol to clean them up, the alcohol wetness was still there when the photo was taken.

Is there any "unofficial" street type suggestion(s) you can share with me, how do i go by in trying to "rescue" this graphics card or "extend" her life a little longer??

Truly truly appreciated,

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

The Sony field maintenance documents or the Sony user support forums would be the best place to look for these answers. Here, you are asking about a Sony device with an nvidia card, neither of which are familiar.

Doc

0 Kudos
Lafite1968
Beginner

Hello Al,

Once again Thank you so much....

Best regards,

Dickson

0 Kudos