Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

hi, I use an i5-4570 based PC and an i5-8350U based HP laptop. both are connected to the same ASUS monitor at 1920x1080 using a Lindy KVM switch. The laptop recognizes correctly the ASUS monitor, works with it, the PC doesn't work.

HZwec
Beginner

The detail I found out is: The laptop Win 10 device manager reports the ASUS monitor correctly. The PC Win 10 device manager says "no monitor".

It seems to me that the KVM switch provides the correct monitor info, the laptop graphics system accept it, the PC graphics system ignores it. The PC grahics driver version is 20.19.15.4835. Any suggestion how to solve the issue ? Best regards, Harald

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Connect the PC to the monitor directly. Does it work? If yes, problem is with the cable and/or the switch.

Doc

0 Kudos
HZwec
Beginner
Yes, if I connect the monitor directly with the same cable I use to connect the PC to the switch it works. Let me explain, why I don't believe in a switch problem: Connect the same monitor with a cable from switch to monitor, and connect the same switch with a - that's true - different cable to the laptop, it works. So monitor - cable 1 - switch - cable 2 - laptop works. Monitor - cable 1 - switch - cable 3 - PC, PC graphics doesn't work (Win 10 device manager tells me "no monitor"). Monitor - cable 3 - PC works. I'm not an expert in Intel graphics HW or driver, but I still think that the driver has an issue. Example (just a thought, not a fact): The switch delays the transfer of the monitor type message from monitor to the graphics system in the PC. If the graphics system uses a time out, to avoid endless waiting for an e.g. unknown monitor type, the graphics driver would also ignore the late message being routed through the switch. The laptop driver doesn't have the problem, it must deal with the situation that someone does hot-plugging. But as I said, just guessing .... Best regards Harald
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

The problem is the quality of the cable, or the switch.

Doc

0 Kudos