Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

i7-1195G7 causes Photoshop to crash?

wpcoe
New Contributor I

I recently bought an HP Spectre X360 14 with an i7-1195G7 (and 16GB RAM & 1TB SSD with Optane cache) running Windows 11 Pro (21H2, build 22000.438.)

Photoshop (v.23.1.1) crashes when doing something as basic as applying a Smart Sharpen filter unless I disable Graphics Acceleration, specifically using OpenCL, within Photoshop.  I'd like to be able to experience the benefits of Graphics Acceleration in Photoshop.

Today I updated the Intel graphics driver on my device from:

b.gif

 to

b new.gif

and Photoshop was auto-updated two days ago, but the problem persists.

I don't see any other reports of such problems, but would like to know if there is any way to resolve this.  I live in Mexico and had flown to New York City just to buy this computer, and I'm considering flying back to NYC to return it.   Do I have a defective computer, or can this be fixed?

0 Kudos
20 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @wpcoe

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to review this further, could you please provide us with the following information?

1- Did the system work fine before or are you experiencing this issue since the first day that you have the computer?

2- If this worked fine before at any moment, were there any recent hardware or software changes that might relate to the point when the issue started? (For instance, Windows*, driver, BIOS, or app updates?)

3- Is the issue observed using the customized graphics driver provided by the computer manufacturer (OEM) HP*? 

4- Please fill up the Template for submitting a Graphics bug available in the link.

5- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system:

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.

To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
wpcoe
New Contributor I

1- Did the system work fine before or are you experiencing this issue since the first day that you have the computer?

I bought the computer new on 14-Jan-2022, the first time I attempted to use Photoshop on an image was earlier this week.  So, AFAIK, Photoshop never worked correctly on the computer.

2- If this worked fine before at any moment, were there any recent hardware or software changes that might relate to the point when the issue started? (For instance, Windows*, driver, BIOS, or app updates?)

N/A

3- Is the issue observed using the customized graphics driver provided by the computer manufacturer (OEM) HP*? 

AFAIK, I never used a customized graphics driver.  In Device Manager it showed:

b.gif

until a few days ago, when  I updated to:

b new.gif

4- Please fill up the Template for submitting a Graphics bug available in the link.

Done.   File attached.

5- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system:

• Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".

Done.  File attached along with a Intel Graphics Command Center (Intel GCC) report and a screenshot of Photoshop as it crashes after applying a Smart Sharpen filter.

I usually use an external monitor (Dell P2415Q, 4K), but since the Photoshop problem also occurs when the monitor is not being used – i.e. the problem appears when using only the built-in laptop screen – I detached the USB-C hub through which I connect the Dell monitor while running the tests/diagnostics just to reduce the number of factors involved.

0 Kudos
wpcoe
New Contributor I

@AndrewG_Intel :

I replied with extensive details, but I don't see them now in this thread.  Did you receive them???

0 Kudos
wpcoe
New Contributor I

@AndrewG_Intel :  Oh, what the heck, I'm not doing anything else right now, so I'll repost:

Bought the computer new on 14-January-2022 and first used Photoshop this past week, and it crashed from the very first time.

N/A

3- Is the issue observed using the customized graphics driver provided by the computer manufacturer (OEM) HP*? 

AFAIK, I never used any customized graphics driver.  Device Manager showed:

b.gif

until a few days ago, when I updated it to:

b new.gif

4- Please fill up the Template for submitting a Graphics bug available in the link.

Done.  File attached.

5- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system:

Done.  File attached as well as the results of Intel Graphics Command Center (Intel GCC) and a screenshot of Photoshop as it crashed.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello wpcoe

Thank you for your response and for all the details.

In this case, we would like to recommend trying a clean install of the graphics driver to discard issues related to the graphics driver and/or driver installations. Since the driver or software for your Intel® component might have been changed or replaced by the computer manufacturer (OEM) and OEM drivers are handpicked and include customized features and solutions to platform-specific issues, the usual recommendation is to use the OEM driver as the first option. 

Please follow these steps: 

1- Download the latest customized driver from the HP* website and save the file on the computer: Intel High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver 27.20.100.9664 Rev.B.

2- Disconnect from the internet to make sure the driver will not be automatically updated by Windows.

3- Right-click the Windows Start button. Select Device Manager.

4- Expand the section Display adapters and look for the Intel Graphics entry in Device Manager (e.g.: Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics).

5- Right-click on Intel Graphics and click Uninstall.

6- In the device removal dialog box, check Delete the driver software for this device and click OK.

7- Restart the computer after the uninstallation is complete.

8- Open Device Manager once more.

9- Very Important: Expand the Display Adapter section again:

• If the graphics entry still displays Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics or similar, repeat steps 5-8.
  • If the graphics entry displays Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, run the previously downloaded file to install the driver.

10- Reboot the computer when prompted. After reboot, you can reconnect the Internet.

If the issue persists, you can repeat the process using the latest Intel® generic driver (.exe file) from this link: Intel® Graphics – Windows* DCH Driver Version 30.0.101.1191.

If none of the drivers solves the problem, please let the Windows Update service install a proper driver:

1. Go to Device Manager >> Display Adapters 
  2. Right-click on Intel Graphics and click Uninstall making sure to check the Delete the driver software for this device checkbox.
  3. Right-click on Microsoft Basic Display Adapter >> Update driver >> Search automatically for updated driver software.
  4. Reboot the computer.

Please provide details about the outcome of the steps in case the issue still persists. Also, please let us know if you have reviewed this with Adobe* Support team and if they have provided any feedback.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
wpcoe
New Contributor I

@AndrewG_Intel :

• After rebooting with Microsoft Basic Display Adapter in Device Manager - Photoshop crashes
  • After rebooting with Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics (6/1/2021, v. 27.20.100.9664)* - Photoshop crashes
  • After rebooting with Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics (12/3/2021, v .30.0.101.1991) - Photoshop crashes
    *That's the version of the driver that loads from the HP site's video driver download

>>"3. Right-click on Microsoft Basic Display Adapter >> Update driver >> Search automatically for updated driver software.

4. Reboot the computer."<<

Step 3 reports that the best driver is already installed.  However, after a reboot, Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics (6/1/2021, v. 27.20.100.9664) is shown  in Device Manager.  (Should I again install the later (12/3/2021, v .30.0.101.1991) version now?

I have indeed contacted Adobe and you can see here what we've accomplished (Not much.) However, I did report to them some experimenting that went badly, but at one point I had Photoshop installed without any crashes.  That reply, for some reason, is not currently visible. Basically:

I wanted to use Windows System Restore to revert to the earliest restore point to see if Photoshop crashed, and if it didn't, to step through later restore points to see at what point the crashing started happening.

System-Restore.jpg

I restored to #1 in the image above – and Photoshop didn't crash! I noted at that time that it was Photoshop v. 23.1.0. I then moved to a later restore point (#2 in the image) and Photoshop was already crashing.

However, it appears that Microsoft has "enhanced" System Restore so that it (a) removes all earlier restore points once you've used one and (b) no longer lets you "roll back" a System Restore action. I was a bit angry, and did a Windows Reset, and the second thing I installed (after Vivaldi browser) was Photoshop, and of course it installed v.23.1.1. It crashed.  I'm not sure whether it's the new version of Photoshop, or Windows Updates that auto-installed, or something else that re-triggered the Photoshop crashes...

Here's what pops up in Photoshop when it crashes.  I found that in addition to a Smart Sharpen filter, also that the Image Resize command also crashes Photoshop:

PS error 01.gif

PS error 02.gif

...and clicking the "Click here" link leads to this page 

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello wpcoe

Thank you for your response and for all these details.

In regards, to your inquiry:

"after a reboot, Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics (6/1/2021, v. 27.20.100.9664) is shown in Device Manager. (Should I again install the later (12/3/2021, v .30.0.101.1991) version now?"

This is a common recurrent behavior of Windows* Update Service and it is due to how Windows* "interprets" which "the best driver" is for a system. In those scenarios, the recommendation is just to install the latest DCH driver over the existing driver (no need to follow the clean installation steps). This is documented in the following article: Windows* Update Reverting to an Older Graphics Driver.

Let's try that with the Intel® Graphics – Windows* DCH Driver Version 30.0.101.1191 just to make sure we can properly test the latest driver and Photoshop. Please just download and install the DCH driver and run the .exe file. Then, reboot the computer and test.

Note: For testing purposes, we may pause Windows* Update to avoid it from rolling back to a previous driver version so you can test with the latest DCH driver:

1. Open Settings.
  2. Click on Update & Security.
  3. Click on Windows Update.
  4. Click the Advanced options button.
  5. Under the Pause updates section, use the drop-down menu and select how long to disable updates.

Please let us know the outcome once you try this.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
wpcoe
New Contributor I

@AndrewG_Intel :

Okay, I paused Windows Updates until 3/7/2022, installed the newer Display Driver (see screen shot below), rebooted, and yes, the Photoshop problems still continue:

wpcoe_0-1643663279977.png

Thanks!

0 Kudos
wpcoe
New Contributor I

@AndrewG_Intel :

A new issue deserves its own discussion topic, but I'm bringing it up here in case the Photoshop issue plus this additional issue triggers any new ideas to pursue.

At the same time I've been dealing with Photoshop, I've also been dealing with Anker because a USB-C hub with HDMI 4k60Hz capability was only giving me 30hz.  (I tried an assortment of cables, including a brand new one advertised to support 4K60Hz.)

In the very beginning (before I even bought the Anker hub) I had been using a USB-C-to-DisplayPort cable and am 99% sure I had 60hz being sent to & displayed on my Dell P2415Q monitor.   As a part of my troubleshooting that, today I reconnected the USB-DP cable and now it only shows 30Hz (29.98Hz, actually, though I can change it to 30Hz).  I'd read that sometimes the two TB4 ports on the Spectre X360 14 don't both support 60Hz, so I tried both ports, with lots of rebooting in between.

Just to eliminate the Dell monitor as the culprit, I reconnected my Microsoft Surface Pro 6 via DisplayPort, and sure enough, it shows 60Hz using the rather old Intel® UHD Graphics 620.

I'm considering doing yet another Windows Reset to check the USB-DP cable and start fresh with everything.  The last Reset, I didn't test the HDMI on the Anker hub, because I wanted to eliminate it as a factor in the Adobe troubleshooting.  Today, I got tired of not using my larger monitor and reconnected the Anker hub.

So:  With the Photoshop crashes & now the inability to send a 60Hz video signal from my Spectre X360 14, does that ring any new bells?

PS:  I tried the 6/12/2021 and the 12/3/2021 Intel display drivers, and there was no difference.

0 Kudos
wpcoe
New Contributor I

@AndrewG_Intel :  Okay, I found the culprit for the Photoshop crashes:

open-cl-gl-compat-pak.gif

I had done another Windows Reset.  Photoshop still crashed.  I started down the list of  Apps & Features in Windows and one-by-one uninstalled almost all of them with a reboot after every 5 or 6 and tested Photoshop.  When I finally worked my way down to OpenCL and OpenGL Compatibility Pack and rebooted – voila! – I could apply a Smart Filter and Resize Image with no freezes or crashes.

Now my concern is:  what am I giving up by not having that compatibility pack installed?

I'm still not sure if this is an Intel, Adobe, HP or Microsoft problem, but at least I got Photoshop to behave.

I still haven't solved the with the 30Hz/60Hz display issue.  I will open a new discussion about that.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello wpcoe

Thank you for your response and for all these details, we are glad to know that you have found the root cause of the issue pointing out to the "to OpenCL and OpenGL Compatibility Pack".

We will review this internally to see if we have any information related to this. However, we believe the said package might be installed automatically by Windows* Update or Microsoft* Store.

We will be posting back as soon as any additional details are available.

Note: Yes, we do agree that you open a new thread for the other issue with the refresh rate so we can focus on one issue at a time, and also due to the fact that we handle only one issue by thread. Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
wpcoe
New Contributor I

@AndrewG_Intel :

Thanks.  I definitely did nothing to install it.  After I did a Windows Reset – which apparently reverts the system to HP's as-delivered state – it was already on the list of Apps and Features when I went down the list uninstalling everything.

My concern now is whether I'm kneecapping my system, or any part of it, by uninstalling that pack.

PS:  I started a new thread  about the 30Hz/60Hz issue.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello wpcoe

Thank you for the additional details, we really appreciate it. We're still working on this and will be posting back as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello wpcoe

We are still checking on this issue. However, we have also released a new driver. In the meantime could you please test and verify if the same behavior happens with driver version 30.0.101.1340?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
wpcoe
New Contributor I

@AndrewG_Intel :

- I downloaded & installed the new video driver & rebooted

- I re-installed the OpenCL and OpenGL Compatibility Pack & rebooted

- Photoshop still crashes ☹️

- I uninstalled the OpenCL and OpenGL Compatibility Pack & rebooted

- Photoshop does not crash 🙂

Thanks for the updated video driver 👍, but it didn't resolve the Photoshop crashing/freezing issue.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello wpcoe

Thank you for your response and for testing with the new driver. We will continue working on this matter and once we have more details available, we will be posting them here in the thread.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello wpcoe

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

After investigating and testing this further, our recommendation is to retest with driver 30.0.101.1340 and if the issue persists this should be reported first to Adobe* for additional assistance since disabling the recommended options fixes the issue, thus it can be a hardware limitation with this software.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello wpcoe

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to retest with driver 30.0.101.1340 or to report the issue to Adobe.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
wpcoe
New Contributor I

Yes, I tested driver 30.0.101.1340 – scroll up to see my post on ‎02-14-2022 @ 03:03 PM.

I have been chatting with Adobe but haven't heard from them since 02-02.  I guess I should post again to see if I get a response.

I assume I will never know if the OpenCL and OpenGL Compatibility Pack is something I should be using or if it's nothing I need.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello wpcoe

Thank you for the response and details.

In regards to your inquiry about the need for the OpenCL and OpenGL Compatibility Pack or if it is not needed, for this question is better to check with Adobe* so they can let you know which packages you need to install since based on the article Where Do I Find and Install an API Driver? it says:

• OpenGL*, OpenCL*, and Vulkan* drivers must be installed separately, and are only distributed with the game or application that requires it.

In this case, we recommend continuing working with Adobe* Support and also addressing that inquiry to their team so they may provide more assistance.

Having said that, we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos