Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20621 Discussions

i7-5930 GPU and graphics

Siouxwarrior
Beginner

I have an i7-5930 on an Asus x-99 motherboard and presently running 2 Nvidia 980 video cards. Games have finally progressed to where I'm looking at upgrading my graphics card. All the info I can find about the 5930's compatibility is old and previous to post-1080 cards. Can the 5930 use a higher performing card? Which ones? Could I be bottle-necked with the 5930? I'm going to massively upgrade in a year but want to see if there might be some room to improve before then. Thanks for any info!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You can use this processor with practically every graphics card that is out there. Will it poke in some games? Of course, but that's to be expected; the latest games are being developed with 11th and 12th gen processors in mind and you have an 8-year-old 5th gen processor (even if it was one of the better ones).

The question I have for you is: considering the horrid cost of graphics cards today, are you really sure you want to upgrade this year? I would make this system last another year. You'll likely have more money in your pocket for that whole-system upgrade than you will if you purchase that horridly-priced graphics card now.

...S

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Siouxwarrior,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.  

Due to this product being discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, I am glad to see that fellow community members have the knowledge and they jumped in and helped. You may also find the Discontinued Products website (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/discontinued-products.html) website helpful to address your request.  

You can get the specifications and verify this product's discontinuance status at the Intel® Product Specifications website > Product Status > "Discontinued". https://ark.intel.com/ 

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos