Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

i7-8705G Vega M GL GPU Clock Speed stuck at 535 MHz

AAlle3
Beginner

Hi, I recently bought an HP Spectre 15 x360 with the Vega M GL GPU and have been troubleshooting some issues with it. I am experiencing two issues that often occur simultaneously though sometimes separately; The CPU clock speed momentarily reduces to 0.8GHz and/or the GPU clock speed permanently reduces to 535 MHz, with the only fix being a restart (until the issue repeats itself). I assume the occurrence of these issues is related to power states but I haven't been able to identify the trigger. I'm using HWMonitor to monitor the variables while benchmarking in Unigine Valley and there doesn't seem to be any relation to voltage or temperature, though I could easily be wrong.

By undervolting/underclocking the CPU and playing with the hidden CPU power options under the power plan I have managed to all but eliminate the CPU clock speed lockups, but the GPU locks persist.

I have only been able to complete two full runs of Valley without the GPU getting stuck at 535MHz; these two runs were conducted one after another without a restart in between. I have been unable to replicate the result since restarting.

I would be grateful if anyone who has experienced this or a similar issue could comment to show the extent of the problem, and especially if they've found a long-term solution.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Savvra,

Thank you for posting in our Intel ® Community.

I understand that you are facing a couple of issues with the clock speeds of your unit.

In order to address your questions we will need to gather the following information:

-To attach a full https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600 Intel® System Support Utility for Windows* report to check current system status.

-Verify the functionality of your Intel® Microprocessor through our https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool

-Screenshot of CPU reported speeds through our https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/7838/Intel-Processor-Identification-Utility-Windows-Version Intel® Processor Identification Utility - Windows* Version

To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Diego Sanchez Campos.

Intel (R) Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel (R) Corporation

0 Kudos
AAlle3
Beginner

Hi, thanks for the quick response. I think I've attached the information you've asked for correctly, please let me know if you need anything else.

I also submitted this information via the support ticket site, wasn't sure which was the correct method.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Savvra,

Thank you for your response.

Based on the latest report and the screenshots that you sent, we noticed that the reported CPU speeds are normal and the test performed by our Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool does not reveal anything out of the usual, making us think that you might be facing a BIOS issue with your system.

Your current BIOS is the version F.21, while on the https://support.hp.com/emea_middle_east-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-spectre-15-ch000-x360-convertible-pc/16779588 HP Customer Support portal the latest BIOS for your machine is reported to be the F.37 Rev.A.

We strongly suggest you to contact your system manufacturer to consult on how to perform a BIOS update, and the possible positive impacts of the update in your system.

I hope this helps, please let me know the outcome.

Regards,

Diego Sanchez Campos.

0 Kudos
AAlle3
Beginner

Hi, thanks for the reply but the BIOS you listed is for a different product series. My laptop is the HP Spectre 15-ch000 x360 as opposed to the HP Spectre 15-bl000 x360 Convertible PC; mine has the Vega M GL GPU and the other has an MX 150.

Thanks again for the suggestion though.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Savvra,

Thank you for your response.

I do apologize for the misunderstanding, my bad.

Based on your report, your BIOS is up to date.

According to the troubleshooting done (through the OS settings, drivers) and the reports that you sent, even if the BIOS is up to date we suspect that the issue that you're experiencing might be BIOS limitation on the actual system, as our reports did not reveal anything out of the usual.

We strongly suggest you to contact your https://support.hp.com/us-en OEM support for issue replication or warranty options if necessary.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Diego Sanchez Campos.

Under Contract to Intel (R) Corporation

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Savvra,

We just wanted to double check if you need further assistance?

I hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
AAlle3
Beginner

Hello Diego, thanks for the question.

Based on what you've said and discussions I've had with other members on the forum, I'd agree that the issue I'm experiencing is either due to limitations set in the BIOS or a hardware default.

I'm currently in contact with HP support to repair or replace my device and will try to remember to update this thread with the outcome for those who are interested.

Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
AAlle3
Beginner

For anyone interested, after sending my Spectre back to HP and having them replace my motherboard, its now performing to spec with no frame drops or significant clock speed decreases. Whether or not this is a motherboard issue for other complainants is anyone's guess, but I'd suggesting RMA'ing your laptops is at least worth a shot.

0 Kudos