Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

i82801aa audio controller Win98SE?

idata
Employee

Have installed 'inf. update' utility recommended for this problem and other updates on same Intel page but only Linux and XP (both unsuitable) will find and run the sound, which is onboard, and not a sound card. Hardware Properties driver update yeilds nothing from Microsoft. (The Intel graphics driver works fine.) This is a Win.98 logoed base unit (making the ostensible unavailability of this driver very puzzling.) Compaq Deskpro i815 Solano chipset PIII 800mhz (Coppermine) 512MB RAM Additional AIDA32 info available on request. (Also posted on 'Graphics and Chipsets.')

0 Kudos
13 Replies
HERBERT_H_Intel
Employee

hold on. are you sure that the chipset has an integraded sound controller? I find it very strange that the intel Boards which had the same 815 chipset include an Analog Devices Inc. Controller ( http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=510&OSFullName=Windows*+98+SE&lang=eng&strOSs=18&submit=Go!) and they provice drivers for that. I think it would be bes to actually find out what sound card the board has (perhaps using XP or linux) before you search for drivers because you may be looking in the wrong place.

OJ

idata
Employee

Thanks - this looks promising. Good point about it being onboard though that's how it's generally reported. I've never seen this page you link to before. Win98SE reports an unspecified missing update is required to install Sound Max so I'll get it as soon as I can. Meantime I'll give you the exact wording of XP's Device Prop's entry for it. Please stand by.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

XP reports as follows:-

Device Manager: Intel(r) 82801aa AC97 Audio Controller.

Sound and Audio Devices: Intel Integrated Audio.

Driver Ver.(XP): 5.1.2535.0 (Bearing in mind I have to use Win98.)

0 Kudos
HERBERT_H_Intel
Employee

try and go to the properties of each of these devices and go to the details tab and get the hardware IDs for them. The first line should do.

OJ

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sorry - I don't understand; please specify the path consistent with XP menu and title bar labelling. Is it the individual driver files themselves you're after?

0 Kudos
HERBERT_H_Intel
Employee

http://www.raymond.cc/images/cdrom-hardware-id.png

hardware ID uniquely identify the device. just because its called intel audio whatever that doesn't mean it really is. the hardware id allow us to see what excatly the hardware should be.

OJ

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks - point taken; but your link gives a '403' error. Maybe some kind of login is needed for the site?

0 Kudos
HERBERT_H_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks - now I understand. There isn't a 'Details' tab in Device manager - Properties on my machine. However there IS one on the fully updated internet XP machine (same system disc) upstairs I'm now using. I'm going to install the 3 service packs one at a time on mine downstairs (which has the problem) and see if this provides me with a 'Details' tab specifying the info. required. If you know of a potentially quicker way to achieve this please relate it. Please stand by.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

SP2 did it - here goes: Hardware IDs:- PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2415&SUBSYS_B1BF0E11&REV_02 PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2415&SUBSYS_B1BF0E11 PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2415&CC_040100 PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2415&CC_0401

0 Kudos
HERBERT_H_Intel
Employee

here's a whole bunch of drivers that match that device ID

http://listing.driveragent.com/pci/8086/2415/80862415

i'm sure one of them for windows 98 will work

OJ

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

These are all for different architectures and most are codecs. The Realtek AC'97 driver crashes the system irretrievably and all the links point to a mandatory download called DriverAgent which will not run with pre-WinME systems. If it did I'd have run it and probably solved this problem some time ago. Thanks for the suggestion though.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

please send sound setup to me.

0 Kudos