Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

iGPU Colors appear limited on external display, fine with eGPU

Nichy
Novice

Recently I bought a Framework laptop, 12th Gen version, for graphical work. I draw digital art and sometimes like to use an external monitor. The laptop supports swapping out so-called expansion cards so you can turn any port on it in what you want it to be, with the base connection being USB4. (Soon Thunderbolt 4 once the new BIOS update drops for this device.) I only have expansion cards for HDMI, and the monitor I use is HDMI or DVI-D only. (So, I'm using HDMI-to-HDMI.)

I also have a GPU enclosure that I can put my GTX 1080 in and connect that to the laptop, and then connect my monitor to the GPU directly. When I do this, I notice a clear difference between both outputs.

GTX 1080GTX 1080

Intel Iris XEIntel Iris XE

Both images were taken right after each other with my phone's camera set to manual, fixed ISO, White Balance, Environmental Value, Shutter Speed, Focus and I had HDR disabled.

I tried finding a setting in Intel Graphics Command Centre along the lines of Limited Range colors, as this behavior looks similar to when I first hooked Nvidia cards to HDMI, where they would limit the color output to 16 - 235 instead of the full 0 - 255, any setting related that I could find were in Video Playback settings and didn't seem to affect normal use at all. I also tried the Beta version of IGCC, but there seems to be little that has changed and the output still appeared limited.

People have suggested to me to get the *.icc profile of the monitor, but it seems Acer (this panel being the R241Y bmid) doesn't provide one for this display. Also, if it is indeed limited, it'll only stretch out the existing range and not adhere to the goal here, getting as accurate as possible colors.

So, my question is, is there something that I'm missing, is this a known issue, is there something that I can do to fix this? I've been looking everywhere and only found some older posts speaking of a bug with older versions of a driver where indeed colors would look washed-out when using a type-C connection, but those posts seem to be from 2018, and with Intel HD Graphics 630 for example, while here I have Intel Iris XE, so I don't think they're relevant? Is anyone able to help me out here?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
22 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello Nichy, Since we have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, please post them on a new thread so we can further assist you with this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Nichy
Novice

Hello Alberto, 

I was caught into matters in my daily life that kept me busy and unable to reply within a timely manner, I would like to ask to reopen the case again. Also, I believe I already mentioned the steps to reproduce the issue? Or is there anything else needed?

0 Kudos