Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discusiones

igdkmd64.sys causing Windows 7 to resume slowly

GWeav
Principiante
2.695 Vistas

"Resuming Windows" in Windows 7 became extremely slow a month or two ago. Windows Performance Information and Tools keeps reporting "These drivers are causing Windows to resume slowly" and listed only the Intel Graphics Kernel Mode Driver, igdkmd64.sys. However the "time taken" was 1.2 seconds. If that is the time, that is the time for every frame of the "Resuming Windows" animation that comes up and slowly flips frames on the animation for what seems like forever. Once Windows is fully loaded it is no longer slow. I checked and have a lot of hard drive space on both volumes, so that is not the problem.

I thought there might be a virus or other malware because the whole family uses the computer, but I've run a full Bit Defender scan,booted from/ran the Kaspersky Rescue Disk full scan after updating, anti-rootkit from Kaspersky and Malwarebytes, etc. Malwarebytes scan, etc. and have only Bit Defender installed, so it isn't that multiple AV tools are running at the same time.

I also tried booting into safe mode, but it is still super slow, so I'm trusting Windows for the moment that igdkmd64.sys may be the culprit. I installed the latest igdkmd64.sys and all of the other latest drivers from the intel site that it found that I should use after examining my system. The newer version of the driver may be the cause as it says, but I don't know how to get the original version without reinstalling Windows 7.

I've currently disabled Device Manager -> Display Adapters -> Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 and am just using the default display, so even with the resolution turned up, it can only get to 1024x768, so it does not look at good as it used to, but at least it is much more responsive now. I'd rather be using the Intel driver, though.

Is there an downloads archive, and if so, which download should I use to get the original version of the display driver for this laptop? How would I determine which version that I should use?

Note: I ran the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool and it said I have the i7-2670M which is in the Ideapad Z570 model 1024. I'm not sure whether this helps or not but here is the full report:

---------------------------

--- Testing Processor 1 ---

---------------------------

--- IPDT64 - rev 1.29.0.0.MP ---

--- Start Time: 10/03/2013 07:59:58---

--- Skipping Config ---

--- Reading CPU Manufacturer ---

Expected --> GenuineIntel

Detected --> GenuineIntel

Found --- Genuine Intel Processor ---

--- Temperature Test ---

Temperature Test Passed!!!

Temperature = 46 degrees C below maximum.

--- Reading Brand String ---

Detected Brand String:

Intel Core i7-2670QM 2.20GHz

Brand String Test Passed!!!

--- Reading CPU Frequency ---

Expected CPU Frequency is --> 2.20

Detected CPU Frequency is --> 2.22382

CPU Frequency Test Passed!!!

--- FSB NOT Supported on this Processor ---

--- Running Base Clock test ---

Detected Base Clock --> 101

Base Clock test Pass ---

..QPI rate Test not supported..

..Skipping QPI rate Test..

Skipping QPI rate Test

--- Running Floating Point test ---

Million Floating Points per Second, MFLOPS --> 345.6

Floating Point Test Pass ---

--- Running Prime Number Generation Test ---

Operation Per Second--> 4.65205e+006

Prime Number Generation Test Pass ---

--- Reading Cache Size ---

- Detected L1 Data Cache Size --> 4 x 32

- Detected L1 Inst Cache Size --> 4 x 32

- Detected L2 Cache Size --> 1024

- Detected L3 Cache Size --> 6144

Cache Size Test Passed!!!

--- Determining MMX - SSE capabilities ---

--- CPU FEATURES DETECTION FOR ---

--- MMX SSE ---

MMX - MMX Supported --> Yes

SSE - SSE Supported --> Yes

SSE2 - SSE2 Supported --> Yes

SSE3 - SSE3 Supported --> Yes

SSSE3 - SSSE3 Supported --> Yes

SSE4.1 - SSE4.1 Supported --> Yes

SSE4.2 - SSE4.2 Supported --> Yes

--- MMX SSE - capabilities check complete ---

MMX Test Result --- PASS

SSE Test Result --- PASS

SSE2 Test Result --- PASS

SSE3 Test Result --- PASS

SSSE3 Test Result --- PASS

SSE4.1 Test Result --- PASS

SSE4.2 Test Result --- PASS

MMX SSE Testing Passed !!

--- Determining AVX AES PCLMULQDQ capabilities ---

--- CPU FEATURES DETECTION FOR ---

--- AVX/AES/PCLMULQDQ ---

AVX - Advanced Vector Extensions Supported --> Yes

AVX OS Support - AVX Operating System Supported --> Yes

AES - Advanced Encryption Standard Supported --> Yes

PCLMULQDQ - Polys Carry-Less Multiply Supported --> Yes

--- AVX AES PCLMULQDQ capabilities check complete ---

AVX Compare Test Result --- PASS

AES Test Result --- PASS

PCLMULQDQ Test Result --- PASS

AVX AES PCLMULQDQ Testing Passed !!

--- Reading Memory Size ---

Detected Memory Size is --> 8.00GB

--- Integrated Memory Controller Stress Test ---

--- Integrated Memory Controller Stress Test Pass!!! ---

Integrated Memory Controller Test Pass!!!

--- Platform Controller Hub Test Disabled ---

--- Querying for Intel(R) Integrated Graphics Device (IGD) ---

..Detected 8086 as Vendor ID on Device 2 on Intel(R) processor..

..Intel(R) Integrated Graphics Device Presence Detection Passed..

..2D Graphics Visual Display Passed..

..Graphics Visual Display Passed..

..Rotating Display Passed..

--- CPU Load ---

--- Load Level = 8

CPU Load Passed!!!

--- Temperature Test ---

Temperature Test Passed!!!

Temperature = 11 degrees C below maximum.

--- Test End Time: 10/03/2013 08:03:57---

0 kudos
4 Respuestas
DArce
Colaborador Valioso III
1.113 Vistas

Booting slow in safe mode may indicate a different problem as video drivers are not running in that mode, hence igdkmd64.sys should not be loaded.

Just to get some additional information on what you report, what are the driver versions from our web site that you tested with?

In the other hand, you can test using the customized drivers that are provided by your computer manufacturer. These drivers are available here:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?&DocID=HT072735 Drivers and software - IdeaPad Z570 Notebook

Have you updated the BIOS for that system as well? A BIOS update is available on that same web site.

GWeav
Principiante
1.113 Vistas

Tried updating bios but didn't help. I found this answer related to Win XP hibernation, which indicated that slowness could be related to the amount of memory used, etc. but in this case it just started happening at one point, so I don't think that is it for me:

http://superuser.com/a/48549 windows - Very slow after hibernation - Super User

I've seen related threads about Win 7 hibernation recovery slowness. It seems common:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2190000 http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2190000

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=229469 System very slow to resume after Hibernating--Plzzzz help... - MajorGeeks Support Forums

Thought it might have been that I disabled Lenovo EE Boot Optimizer Software in msconfig, but that wasn't it.

GWeav
Principiante
1.113 Vistas

Ok, figured it out enough I think.

In Driver Manager, when I disabled Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000, it booted to Win 7 login in 2 min 52 seconds vs. 1 minute 18 seconds with it disabled (using VGA). But things were still slow.

I re-enabled Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000, then permanently disabled hiberfil.sys (ability to sleep//hibernate) for good (for now at least) with:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/tr-dojo/delete-hiberfilsys-by-disabling-windows-hibernate-function/ http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/tr-dojo/delete-hiberfilsys-by-disabling-windows-hibernate-function/

That sped boot to login to about 2 min 6 sec. Then I went into msconfig and disabled a number of services (including several intel services) that were starting, and disabled Intel(R) Common User Interface (all 3) in startup, and disabled Lenovo EE Boot Optimizer. Now it boots in ~1 min 10 sec.

So- I still think that the Intel display drivers and other startup programs are responsible for some slowness in startup. It would be nice to know which are critical and which aren't.

DArce
Colaborador Valioso III
1.113 Vistas

If you need to check what would be critical to your system operation then you should check with your Original Equipment Manufacturer, Lenovo who installed such software in your system.

From our side, I suggest you check using the drivers provided by your system manufacturer in order to troubleshoot this.

Disabling a bunch of services and applications from msconfig may not be practical to find a root cause. If your pint would be to test the video driver then you should consider testing other versions of even try a fresh operating system install with the driver version you consider problematic to replicate the behavior you have in that computer.

Responder