Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20621 Discussions

igfxem module denies access to my folders

idata
Employee

Attached is the status of the drivers for my Intel HD Graphic 530, all up to date using Intel Driver Update Utility 2.6. Plus, a Speccy text of my laptop.

So this started happening recently, even after reinstalling Windows 10.

I am logged in as the administrator, and I couldn't even delete it even when logged into elevated administrator account. Tried Command Prompt "takeown" and changed owner ship of the folder to no avail.

Guess what, igfxEM is handling this folder. To be clear, this is a folder for a Steam game installed outside of C:\ to evade UAC while playing. Yet, igfxEM is somehow handling almost ALL of the folders in this D:\ drive.

And when I ended the process tree...

The folder just DISAPPEARED, and then I could rename, copy, move, any folders in the D:\ drive (not all folders in D:\ are handled by the module, but a vast majority is).

My questions are:

-How can I fix this? This hadn't happened before during the entire year I own this laptop, until I used CCleaner to "clean" my registry. REGRET.

-And is it important? Can I just remove it?

Thanks for reading and appreciate any help.

47 Replies
PFIXM
Beginner

Package extracts then drops straight to error window.

This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software.

Please advise,

i56600k

gtx980ti

z170pro

Also using process explorer as shown in the first image, I have no igfxem or igfxem.exe reference anywhere, I don't think this process is running.

0 Kudos
APiaz
Beginner

I've tried installing the driver both automatically and manually and they both failed. It says that "the best drivers for your device are already installed"

The driver currently installed is version 21.20.16.4550 and is dated 11/11/2016. I don't have the option to roll back the driver as this is the driver my computer came with and the "roll back driver" button is greyed out.

I've disabled the thing and that seems to have fixed the problem.

the chip is an HD graphics 630

i5-7400

GTX 1060

Windows 10

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi pleasefixme,

The issue you are having may be related to the fact you have a discrete graphics card (GeForce GTX 980 Ti), therefore; the Intel® HD Graphics 530 won't install because they are disabled, this is also why you don't see the igfxem or igfxem.exe, because they belong to the built-in graphics.

If your motherboard supports hybrid graphics (contact the manufacturer for information), you can enable the option in the BIOS and then install the Intel® HD Graphics 530.

I hope this helps.

Best

Juan V
0 Kudos
RNewt1
Beginner

Update to the issue.

Yes the new drivers work.

To those that have manufacturer driver issue.

Download the manual version (The Zip version)

Extract it in locatable folder.

Now navigate to device manager (May use Cortana to find, which is the search engine on your windows)

When that is open

In Device manager -

Navigate to Display driver

Go to your Intel graphics driver (In my case it was a 520 graphics)

right click - update driver software

Should open another window - Browse computer

Should open another window - Let me pick from a list of devices drivers on my computer (Do not browse from here)

In this new window click "Have disk"

In this new window click browse - Go into the extracted intel folder - Go to Graphics - Look for the igdlh64(32 if you're running the 32 bit version). Double click.

Shoudl bring you back to the window with the "have disk" option however only presenting your graphics card. Click next. It will now install.

0 Kudos
LLink1
Beginner

I made an account just to say thank you for the instructions Heartyace; I couldn't have figured out myself how to fix this issue. And most importantly thank you to Intel for releasing a driver that fixed this problematic issue.

0 Kudos
ADog
Beginner

Looking good so far. Thank you for actually trying to resolve this issue -and doing it! Looks like Intel actually cares. I guess that's the reason I only buy intel processors for my organization. Well, other than they are awesome.

0 Kudos