Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20627 Discussions

railroad tycoon 2 platinum stalling on .SMK file play

gwr3650
Beginner

I have seen lots of people have been having issues with this game hosted on steam and running on intel gpu's. Until last night i had this issue, but solved it by rolling back to a previous driver version. if you have a later driver than this installed the game will stall (and possibly crash the system) at the intro movie for the scenarios.

i think the issue is there is a codec missing from the newer driver version that does not support the .SMK file format used in the game animation files.

i am running the following system specs

HP Notebook - 14-am026na (ENERGY STAR)
Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version: 19042.789
Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N3060 @ 1.60GHz
Intel(R) HD Graphics
1366 x 768
driver ver: 20.19.15.4531 (29/09/2016)

could anyone verify this and is this somthing intel would be looking into to fix in a new driver update.

many thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You are running on an older build of the graphics driver. The latest driver available for Braswell processors is 15.40.47.5166, which can be downloaded from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29971. Please try this version.

...S

0 Kudos
gwr3650
Beginner

@n_scott_pearson 

hi thanks for the reply, yes I know there there is an update.

Maybe I didn't word it very clearly. I'm saying that with the most recent driver installed the smacker files in the game crash both the game and after a while windows. with the version in my specs above the game runs fine. 

how can I save a copy of the earlier driver I am currently using so that I can reinstall it if updating to the newer one doesn't work?

thanks

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You've tried all of the available versions? This includes:

I also have a few others in my archive that I could upload for you:

Let me know if you want to try any of these.

As for saving just the current driver, there is no way to save it AFAIK. You can roll back an attempt if you created a save point, however.

...S

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @gwr3650

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello gwr3650

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos