Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

trying to install 3rd monitor on wifes laptop. HP Pavillion 17-g149ds s/n 6cf5511ttj, 8 gigs, intel hd graphic 520, 10.17.2017, version 22.20.16.4836. 520 see 2 monitors, onboard display & HDMI, not USB to VGA monitor. Do I need a USB to VGA driver?

bkarl3
Beginner

is there something I m not doin right? I called the Intel control, ctrl alt f12, and no 3rd monitor. please advise.

Billy

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You are correct that your only way to add a third monitor to this laptop is via a USB adapter. Always use USB 3.0 adapters; never USB 2.0. Now, these adapters usually come with a driver CD or a link to a place where you can download the necessary drivers. Did you not get such a CD or link?

...S

0 Kudos
bkarl3
Beginner
Thank you very much, I will tackle that today and get back to you asap. A question, after usb/vga driver install will the monitor come up in the Intel control panel, or through Win 10 display settings? Just want to know what to expect. Thank you very much, Billy
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Your primary configuration will be through Windows 10 Settings​ (Settings | System | Display). Whether the driver will come with a Control Panel applet is unknown, since I do not know the one you purchased. I guess you'll find out when it arrives.

...S

0 Kudos
bkarl3
Beginner
Thank you it all worked out with with driver I found online, then it crapped out (Chinese), I went to Bestbuy and purchased their USB/VGA adapter and downloaded their driver FOR Windows 10, I am going to her office later and will try again. I'll let you know outcome. Billy
0 Kudos