Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

white screen crash during gaming

sechernbiw
Beginner

Hi-

I just purchased a brand new HP envy laptop, which has a intel Iris Xe graphics.  while playing a game through steam - specifically stellaris, but also have experienced problems with EU4 - the game will crash suddenly, the screen will go white, and I will get dumped out.  I have sent a number of files to the tech guy at paradox, and after looking at my files, suspect it's something with the graphics or video.  does anyone have an idea what to do?  thanks

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AlHill
Super User

So the Intel support engineers can have more information about your system, Download, run, and save the results of this utility as a text file:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Then ATTACH the text file using the instructions under the reply window ( Drag and drop here or browse files to attach ).

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

sechernbiw
Beginner

thanks for the advice.  hopefully i did that right

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello sechernbiw, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

Please provide the following details so we can assist you further: 

1. Try these instructions in order to play legacy games in Windows 10:  

Run the game as Administrator: 

1. Right-click the game executable file. 
  2. Click Run as Administrator. 
  3. When prompted by the User Account Control (UAC) click Yes. 

Run the game in Compatibility mode: 

2. Click Properties
  3. Click the Compatibility tab. 
  4. Enable the option Run this program in compatibility mode for: 
  5. Select the compatible Operating System from the drop-down menu. 
  6. Click Apply

Use different Compatibility settings: 

2. Click  Properties
  3. Click the Compatibility tab and enable any of these options (one at a time): 
  • Reduce color mode 
    • Run in 640x480 screen resolution 
    • Disable display scaling on high DPI settings 
    • Run this program as an administrator 

2. Try a clean installation of the graphics drivers in order to test 2 different driver versions:  

1. Download the DCH drivers and save them on the computer: 

2. Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update. 

3. Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Command Center from Control Panel Programs and Features

4. Restart the computer. 

5. Confirm in Device Manager > Video Adapters the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2 through 4. 

6. If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Programs and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager

1. Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device' 
  2. In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked. 
  3. Click on 'Uninstall'. 
  4. Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter') 

7. Install the driver downloaded on step 1, try first the newer .9168, test, and then go ahead with the .8783. 

8. Restart the computer. 

9. Reconnect to the Internet. 

3. Try uninstalling and reinstalling the games back. 

4. Can you confirm if other games in Steam besides these ones work?  

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
sechernbiw
Beginner

Hi Sebastian-

thanks for you help

1a. still crashed when i ran it as administrator

b. in compatibility -> properties, there is no change when i run in compatibility mode for windows 8

c. none of those changed anything, and run in 640x480 screen resolution was greyed out.

2. tried this and for some reason i can play for a much longer time before the game crashes.

3. no change

4. other games seem to work just fine.  i dont play them as much as stellaris or eu4, but none of them have crashed.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello sechernbiw,  

Thank you for your reply. 

We will validate this behavior internally. Please allow us some time to replicate the issue and do our testing. 

Kindly wait for a response. 

In the meantime, can you please specify which driver version caused the game to stay longer before crashing? Is it the newer version 27.20.100.9168 or the older 27.20.100.8783?

Also, approximately how much does it take for the game to crash? And is it random or at any specific part of the game? If possible, please provide a video so we can compare our results.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M   

0 Kudos
sechernbiw
Beginner

hi sebastian

so far it has kind of run longer on the newer version - .9168

there doesn't seem to be any particular spot or time for the crash.  sometimes it's 5 minutes after starting. sometimes and hour or more.  i will try to get a video, if i can.  the screen will go black for a second, then the stellaris window is white and timed out, and i have to use task manager to close it.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello sechernbiw,   

Thanks for the update. 

Please remember that we will be trying to replicate this internally, we will come back with more information once we have an update.  

Regards,   

Sebastian M    

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello sechernbiw,    

Thank you for waiting.  

We tried replicating this behavior on our end with the exact same CPU, integrated graphics, OS, and driver version, in a different computer, we experienced no issues. 

Based on that, we will recommend you to check with the game developers or the platform provider (Steam) for any additional help. You may consider that the game requires DirectX 9.0 SDK.  

Regards,    

Sebastian M     

0 Kudos
sechernbiw
Beginner

thanks for taking a look.  both the game developers and steam said there was a problem with the computer, and since i've had the game running on half a dozen laptops over the last couple years, i'm inclined to agree. regardless, i returned the laptop in question and replaced it with one that has no issue. thanks

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello sechernbiw,     

Thanks for the update. 

It is good to hear that you got a system that is working as expected. 

Based on that, we will close this inquiry from our side. If you need further help, please submit a new question and we will gladly assist you. 

Regards,     

Sebastian M

0 Kudos