Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

why does going into fullscreen in a non native resolution switch to centered mode?

cshep2
Beginner

for the past few hours i've been trying to figure out why when i played any game in full screen with a non native resolution the screen would shrink down to the resolution i set it to, but wouldn't scale up the image. it was just surrounded by black space. like this:001.jpg

(i simulated this image in paint because when i take a screenshot, its the correct resolution with no black area)

the monitor is 1920x1080 but the game is 640x480

this is what it should look like:

002.jpg

(again another simulated image from paint)

this is my display settings in the intel hd graphics control panel:

003.jpg

as you can see the "maintain display scaling" option is selected but for some reason its acting like "centered" is selected instead whenever i go into full-screen. i suspected it was changing when i went into full-screen but changed back when i exited automatically. but that means i couldn't alt tab and check it. so i went into the compatibility settings on a program and forced it to run in 640x480 mode.

3_5.jpg

i ran the program and it shrunk the screen just like before BUT now i could alt tab without it changing back, i checked the Intel display settings again. here's what it looked like:

004.jpg

its hard to see because its all scrunched up due to the low screen resolution but it shows "centered" is now selected instead of "maintain display scaling". i can click on the other one, and it works, the image scales to fit the screen like it should, so i have determined that it IS switching between them when i go into full-screen, now this is my problem. i cant alt tab out of a full screen game to change it so i need it to stop automatically changing in the first place.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello cshep2

Thank you for posting in the Intel Community.

·        This behavior can be related to the emulator and the game could you let me know what other games do you have the same behavior?

·        Please attach to this thread the TXT file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

·        Steps to save the report:

1-   Run the utility.

2-   Click on “Scan” to get the scanned system.

3-   Once the scan is complete click on “next”.

4-   Use the “save” option, save the report to your desktop.

5-   To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box.

Regards,

Leonardo C.                        

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
cshep2
Beginner

hi thanks for taking the time to help me, the text file you requested is attached.

its not just the emulator or the game, im also having it happen with minecraft, and old pc games like halo, and half life 2, it seems like any game that lets you change the resolution does it. even programs that aren't games, if you force them to run in 640x480 mode it happens. if its a non full screen application that i forced to run in 640x480 for compatibility reasons i can switch over to the intel panel and fix it, but relaunching the application causes it to happen again.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello cshep2

Thank you for the details and the information about the games that you are using, this behavior that you are having seem to be related to a compatibility issue with the game and your system set up, you can try the steps advised here Running Older PC Games on Windows® 10 and Intel® HD/UHD Graphics (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000030981/graphics-drivers.html) or you can also try getting advice from Microsoft® or the game developer.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos