Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1790 Discussions

144Hz Monitor stuck at 120Hz that was previously working at 144Hz

Joadix100
Beginner

I have a 1080p 144Hz monitor conected to my Intel Arc A770 16GB LE, and from when i bought it to arround a week ago, it was working perfectly fine, running 1080p 144Hz and VRR enabled, but after some driver updates and Windows 11 updates, my monitor only goes up to 120Hz, than i did not change the Cable or anything.
According to the Intel Command Center, my monitor supports 144Hz but the setting its just not available on Windows Settings. I have tried installing the driver again with a clean install and also DDU and latest driver but no luck. i am using an HDMI 2.1 Cable limited to HDMI 1.4b by the monitor´s own port.

I ran a SSU and added al Info abut my system, i added captures of the problem too.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
20 Replies
H_Mlysgeek
New Contributor I

I think, the reason behind your 144 Hz monitor being stuck at 120 Hz , it can be many including non-supported port or cable, limiting refresh rate on graphics settings, old and less powerful GPU, etc. The other bizarre cause may be the retailer gave you the wrong monitor altogether. While the latter fix is totally understandable, the other technical reasons need some discussion and analysis so that your monitor starts to run at the intended 144 Hz refresh rate.

Follow the steps below to change the monitor graphics settings,

1: Go to advanced display settings under the display settings.

2: Then click on the display adapter properties.

3: From the pop-up window, tap on the monitor tab and choose 144 Hz from the list.

Is your monitor still stuck at 120 Hz? Then I must say that your hardware is not capable enough to collaborate well at that kind of refresh rate. You would need a graphics card that has a higher FPS, producing a minimum of 144 frames per second.

Thanks.

Harry Bill

0 Kudos
Joadix100
Beginner

Hi, thanks for your advice but thats not the case, the monitor was working just fine at 144Hz for months, with the same cable, in the same port both in the monitor and in the Graphics card, it was working at 144Hz without a single problem, but then some day when i turned my PC on, it was working at 60Hz and the highest refreshrate that was available in the Windows settings was 120Hz. for some reason the 144Hz option just dissapeared, and the cable is fine, in fact, its a new cable, HDMI 2.1 certified cable.

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, Joadix100.

I trust you're doing well.

I have not heard back from you we will close this inquiry now. If you need further assistance, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Von M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Joadix100
Beginner

Sorry for not answering, i did not recieve any message or mail to inform me that someone posted a reply on my issue, so i didnt check on time, if you can, i would like to have my inquiry re opened since the problem is yet to be solved.

0 Kudos
Joadix100
Beginner

Extra info, i also tried using my iGPU (Intel UHD 750) and the same, the highest option available is 120Hz. so the problem is either the cable (which i really doubt because its new and it worked at 144Hz just fine previously) or a driver issue, and i think its the driver issue.

0 Kudos
NormanS_Intel

Hello Joadix100,

I appreciate your thoroughness in detailing the refresh rate issue with your monitor. It's commendable that you've proactively taken steps to address the concern, including a clean driver installation and system checks.

The fact that the Intel Command Center acknowledges the 144Hz capability of your monitor, yet this setting is absent in the Windows configuration, indeed points towards a potential discrepancy in the driver or system updates.

In addition to the measures you've already undertaken, here are some further actions to consider:

• Update Windows: Ensure that Windows 11 is up to date with all the latest updates, as sometimes a patch can resolve such issues.

• Try a Different Port: If your monitor has multiple HDMI ports, try using a different one to see if the issue is port-specific.

• Test with Another Cable: Even though the current HDMI cable is new, it's worth testing with another cable if possible, as sometimes cables can be faulty.

To assist in pinpointing the exact cause, could you please share the brand and model of your monitor? Additionally, it would be helpful to know the specific graphics driver version you are currently using. According to the information provided, you have driver version 31.0.101.5330 installed, but there is a newer version available, 31.0.101.5333. If you haven't updated to the latest driver, I suggest doing so to see if it resolves the issue. Here's the link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/785597/intel-arc-iris-xe-graphics-windows.html

I understand the inconvenience this issue has caused, and I hope one of these suggestions helps restore your monitor's performance to its full capability. If you need further assistance, please feel free to reach out.

Best regards,

Norman S.

Intel Customer Support Engineer

0 Kudos
Joadix100
Beginner

Hello NormanS, 

i tried your possible solutions, but sadly none of them worked, my Windows 11 install is completley up to date and i keep it that way by visiting Windows Update perdiodically, also, i have the latest Intel Arc drivers, i update them as soon as there is a new version available.

My monitor has 2 HDMI ports and one DP, over the second HDMI port i got the same results, 120Hz max, and over DP... well, the screen was just black, i know DP worked because before using HDMI i used it just fine, only switched to HDMI for a problem the monitor had that the backlight would randomly turn on when on standby.

I also tried a known good cable, but the same results.

The only thing that i didnt try yet is another PC but i did try the Integrated Graphics and the same happened, it looks like an intel driver problem, because the iGPU is an Intel UHD 750.

I also have installed my monitor drivers and icm profile. Uninstalling them manually or with DDU did not solve de problem.

Sincerely,
Joaquin "Joadix100" Olivera.

0 Kudos
NormanS_Intel

Hello Joadix100, 

I appreciate the details you've shared so far. To ensure we address the issue accurately, may I request the specific make and model of your monitor? This information is crucial for us to understand the situation better. Additionally, it would be immensely helpful if you could generate a fresh SSU log of your system. This will allow us to examine your system configuration thoroughly. Here's the link on how to generate the new SSU logs: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057926/memory-and-storage.html

Furthermore, upon reviewing your previous logs, it appears that the exact model of your monitor was not specified. From the screenshot you've shared, I came across a reference to a Nitro VG270 Widescreen LCD Monitor. Here's the link: https://www.acer.com/my-en/monitors/gaming/nitro-vg0/pdp/UM.HV0SM.003

Once you have the new SSU log, please attach it to this thread, and we will proceed with the review.  

Best regards,

Norman S.

0 Kudos
Joadix100
Beginner

Hello NormanS,

Sorry for not specifying the model of the monitor, i forgot to do it in my previous answer.

The monitor is an Acer Nitro VG270P (P stands for Pbiip) Product Support - VG270 | Acer United States

The new SSU diagnose is attached to this reply.

Sincerely,

0 Kudos
NormanS_Intel

Hello Joadix100, 

I appreciate your prompt reply and the details provided. Rest assured, we will conduct a thorough review of the situation and will update this thread with any new information as soon as it becomes available. Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Best regards,

Norman S.

0 Kudos
NormanS_Intel

Hello Joadix100, 

I'm creating another post because upon reviewing your case and to ensure we address the issue you've encountered following the recent update, it would be beneficial to test different versions of the graphics driver. Could you kindly try installing the following driver versions and observe if the issue persists? Your feedback on each version's performance will be instrumental in isolating the cause:

By comparing the outcomes with these versions, we can better determine whether the driver update is at the root of the problem. We eagerly await your findings.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Best regards,

Norman S.

0 Kudos
Joadix100
Beginner

Hello NormanS,

You landed right on the spot, theese are the results of the tests:
After Uninstalling the drivers with DDU i installed the drivers you told me and got theese results.

1) 31.0.101.5085_101.5122 WHQL Certified: 144Hz Available and Working properly ☑
2) 31.0.101.5194_101.5252: 144Hz Available and Working properly ☑
3) 31.0.101.5379 (Latest): 144Hz NOT Available, 120Hz MAX ☒

The screenshot i included is from when i tried driver N°1 (5085).

As far as i can remember, this started with driver 31.0.101.3330 and later drivers suffer from this issue, uninstalling them with DDU and installing them again does not fix the issue, so this means that the issue is driver related.

Thanks for the assistance you provided, i hope this problem is elevated to the driver team up there and solved.

Sincerely,

0 Kudos
NormanS_Intel

Hello Joadix100, 

I'm grateful for your prompt reply and the valuable information provided. It will greatly assist us in pinpointing the underlying cause of the problem. We are committed to conducting a thorough investigation and will ensure to post any updates on this thread as soon as they become available.

We appreciate your patience and understanding in this matter.

Best regards,

Norman S.

0 Kudos
Joadix100
Beginner

Hello NormanS,

Thank you for your support, i will patiently wait for a solution, in the meantime, can i do anything to help solve the issue?

Thanks

Yours sincerely,

0 Kudos
Saveno
New Contributor I

Had the same issue on Display Port Cable. One day It just stopped showing 144hz but when I switched to HDMI Cable 144hz worked. 

0 Kudos
NormanS_Intel

Hello Joadix100, 

We appreciate your patience as we conducted thorough testing with drivers 101.5333 and the recently released 101.5379 across various monitors, confirming their correct functionality at refresh rates of 144hz and 240hz. This leads us to believe that the issue may be specific to the Acer Nitro VG270P monitor.

Addressing compatibility concerns with individual devices can be complex and may not be immediately prioritized by the development team. Therefore, we recommend keeping your drivers up to date, as enhancements are continuously implemented. Additionally, reaching out to Acer's support team may provide further insights or alternative solutions.

@Saveno, could you confirm if you are experiencing this issue with the same model of the monitor? For a more focused discussion and assistance, it would be beneficial to initiate a separate thread. This will enable us to engage with you directly and address your concerns more effectively.

Thank you for understanding. 

Best regards,

Norman S.

0 Kudos
Saveno
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
NormanS_Intel

Hello Saveno,

I appreciate your reply. For an in-depth analysis, it would be helpful to initiate a dedicated forum thread tailored to your specific issue. This will allow us to concentrate our efforts and provide you with the best possible support. Additionally, experimenting with various driver versions could shed light on whether the drivers are contributing to the problem. If you find yourself in need of prompt support, I recommend reaching out to our Intel Customer Support. They are accessible via phone, chat, or web ticket for issues that may require more intricate assistance than what can be offered in a forum setting. Here is the direct link to contact our Technical Support team: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-intel.html#support-intel-products

Thank you for your understanding. 

Best regards,

Norman S.

0 Kudos
NormanS_Intel

Hello Joadix100, 

I have not heard back from you so I will close this inquiry now. If you need further assistance, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Norman S.

0 Kudos
Kru1cif3r
Beginner

Hi Norman, I have the same exact problem on my msi laptop. But for me i lost my 144hz refresh rate when i updated to windows 11. I gained the same options, 120, 60 and 50. I updated my windows 11 around early 2023 and i gave up on getting my 144hz back since i never found a solution. Until now i understand its a driver issue but i still cant fix it. I have tried to rollback my driver to all sorts of version but nothing worked. I even went back to a version from 2022 and still didnt work. Im forever stuck on 120hz on my 144hz monitor

0 Kudos