Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1620 Discussions

Arc a770 & WSL2

KNSKNS
Novice

Hello,

I hope this is the right place to post.

I have a fairly basic question.  I just purchased the a770, which seems to be running fine under Windows 11.  However, I'm uncertain of the prerequisites for WSL2.  What steps are needed to enable access to the driver, or is there a separate Linux (Ubuntu 22.04) set of installations?

Searching led me to the Compute Runtime (Neo?) and the oneAPI packages I installed.  I'm also attempting to get IPEX running.

Thus far, neither PyTorch or the Heaven benchmarking tool detect the "xpu/arc" device. 

Update: I have completed the steps at: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/installation-guide-for-intel-oneapi-toolkits-linux/top/installation/configure-wsl-2-for-gpu.html, but still no luck.   

Thanks.

1 Solution
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello KNSKNS

Before closing this thread and after checking this issue we want to let you know that WSL2 needs virtualization in order to allow GPU passthrough. Intel® Arc A-Series doesn't support virtualization technologies that would enable WSL2 to pass through the device.

Please check the following article for more information:

Graphics Virtualization Technologies Support for Each Intel® Graphics Family

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello KNSKNS

Thank you for posting on the Intel® ARC™ Graphics Communities. I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues getting WSL2 to recognize your Intel® Arc™ A770 Graphics.

Instructions to enable general-purpose GPU on Ubuntu 22.04 can be found in the following:

Where Can I Find Linux Drivers for Intel® Arc™ Graphics?

Make sure to use our latest available drivers you can download them from this link.

If you continue to have issues, please share with us screenshots of the errors that you are seeing on screen to further check this issue.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
KNSKNS
Novice

Thanks, Hugo.

It looks like AMD CPUs are not supported in combination, or at least that's implied.  I completed that installation last week.  Hopefully, I'm not out of luck for too long.

K

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello KNSKNS

Good to know that the information helped. In case you want us to further check this issue. Please share with us screenshots of the error messages where the GPU is not getting recognized.

Create a log file with the Intel® System Support Utility and attach it. Instructions to create the log file are in the release note on the same website.

Best Regards,

Hugo O,

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello KNSKNS

I hope you are doing fine. 

Were you able to check the previous post? 

Let us know if you still need assistance. 

Best regards,  

Hugo O.  

0 Kudos
KNSKNS
Novice

Thanks. I've just resumed an attempt at a fix. For the most part, the diagnostic applications only return the Microsoft Corporation Device, if anything - no passthrough of the Arc. Thus far, I believe clinfo is the sole exception that detects the Intel hardware. 

For what it's worth, my installation didn't have /etc/wsl.conf. So, that file will be updated. 

Attached are the outputs from ssu.

K

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello KNSKNS

Thank you for sharing this information. Please also share with us the screenshots from the outputs and error messages showing this issue.

Also, please update your Bios to the latest version provided by your system manufacturer and use the latest version of the Windows driver version 30.0.101.4123.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello KNSKNS

Were you able the troubleshooting steps advised in my previous post? Let us know the outcome.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello KNSKNS

I hope you are doing fine. 

I have not heard back from you. So I will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Best regards, 

Hugo O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello KNSKNS

Before closing this thread and after checking this issue we want to let you know that WSL2 needs virtualization in order to allow GPU passthrough. Intel® Arc A-Series doesn't support virtualization technologies that would enable WSL2 to pass through the device.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

zenon
Novice

That's disappointing. I was hoping to use it with WSL2.

0 Kudos
zenon
Novice

@Hugo_Intel wrote:

Hello KNSKNS

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

https://forums.fast.ai/t/just-received-my-intel-arc-a770-gpu/101049/36?u=romrom

This thread suggest that the A770 does support virtualization under WSL2. Has Intel's virtualization support changed since you posted this? @Hugo_Intel 

0 Kudos