Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1540 Discussions

Command & Conquer - Remastered Collection - Steam Play - Linux timeout (but then works)

guccismith
Novice

After launching C&C Remastered via Steam Play on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04) the game indeed starts but is stalling at a black screen and the OS reports the application as unresponsive, but manages to recover from here and then seems to work normally.

Logs also complains this but manages to recover:

Steam: An X Error occurred
X Error of failed request: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
Major opcode of failed request: 20 (X_GetProperty)
Resource id in failed request: 0xa001d3
Serial number of failed request: 21
xerror_handler: X failed, continuing

See attached screenshot.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Jean_Intel

Hello guccismith,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. I am sorry to hear you are experiencing issues when playing Command & Conquer - Remastered Collection.

To have a better understanding of your issue, please provide me with the following:

• Is this the only game that exhibits this issue?
  • Once the game opens, do you experience any other issues?
  • Are you running the latest game version?
  • Have you reached the Game developer or steam support regarding this issue?
  • Try using your processor's Integrated GPU (if your CPU has one) and check if the issue persists.
  • Create a report using Intel System Support Utility (Intel SSU). It will gather information about your system, which will help us troubleshoot your issue. However, this tool has not been validated to work with Ubuntu 22.04. If the application doesn't start, please provide me with the CPU, motherboard, Graphics card models, and the BIOS and kernel version you are running. 
    • Download the Intel SSU
    • Open the application and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel SSU will take you to the "Summary View." 
    • Click on the menu where it says: "Summary" to change it to "Detailed View." 
    • To save your scan: click "Next"; then "Save." 
  •  

Best regards,

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
guccismith
Novice

Hi Jean O.,

• Is this the only game that exhibits this issue?
    • I have observed this in multiple titles where the application either temporarily or permanently hangs/stalls and thus the OS reports it as unresponsive with the pop-up dialogue that follows "wait or force quit"
  • Once the game opens, do you experience any other issues?
    • For this game so far no, it seems to tag along just fine - but then I have only tested to start one mission to even see whether it works or not. No graphical glitches at least.
  • Are you running the latest game version?
    • Yes, updated via Steam client to latest version
  • Have you reached the Game developer or steam support regarding this issue?
    • Now this is a very unorthodox ask to a customer of your product and clearly shows where you stand in this matter. When it comes to device drivers, I am pretty sure that it is the driver that needs to align with the applications out there and not the other way around. This game/application (along with several others) worked perfectly fine with my previous graphics adapter (non-Intel). Maybe you should reach out to all game developers and ask them to align with your drivers? I have bought your product in good faith and I accept that there will be some catch-up that is required on your end in terms of driver compatibility, but I do not accept ignorant answers to queries from customers in this forum - implying that the problem resides on customer side - when that is clearly not the case. Whether you are interested in seeing this one through with Arc product line-up is on your (Intel's) end. You have a golden opportunity to leverage on customers good faith in this forum, by at least acknowledging the fact. We are willing to do some "tinkering" - provided that we have something to "tinker" with. Now it just don't work.
  • Try using your processor's Integrated GPU (if your CPU has one) and check if the issue persists.
    • My system does not have an integrated GPU. It worked just fine with my previous (non-Intel) graphics adapter on the very same system.
  • Create a report using Intel System Support Utility (Intel SSU)
    • Please find attachment. Worked just fine for me with Ubuntu 22.04.

Best regards,

Linus

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello guccismith,

I appreciate the information you provided.

Regarding my question about contacting the game developer or Steam for support regarding this issue, this was to confirm if you consider it a step to solve your problem and check for insight that would help us investigate this matter.

Also, about your issue, I want to request the step-by-step. These would help us with issue reproduction porpuses. If possible, please provide us with a video showing the steps to replicate the issue.

The report did not gather information about the Intel® Arc™ Graphics, could you provide us with the model of your card?

Best regards,

Jean O. 

0 Kudos
guccismith
Novice

Hi Jean,

Sure thing attaching a video showcasing the symptoms. I can also report that I have similar timeouts in other games (e.g. Doom 2016 in OpenGL mode, which eventually crashes, but works just fine with Vulkan renderer - this probably deserves a separate thread though).

As for which Intel® Arc™ Graphics card, it is the A770 Limited Edition (16GB) version.

Considering that the application stalls to the extent that the OS reports it as unresponsive, means that API calls towards the graphics device doesn't respond in a timely fashion.

Note that I am running the same game on Ubuntu 22.04 on a considerably less powerful system (laptop), with dGPU (non-Intel) - which does not show these symptoms. All the Steam Play titles I have reported so far works on that system.

Best regards,

Linus

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello guccismith,

The information you have shared will be helping us further research this matter.

Let us look into this and we will get back to you at our earliest convenience.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello guccismith,

Thanks for waiting for a response.

We have tried to replicate the issue in our lab, and we have not been able to reproduce the problem. We ran a system with the

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, and App build 745903.1 version 1.153. It seems that the issue has been addressed on a new game update for the C&C Remastered. Here is the video we recorded:

https://youtu.be/Pq4HH4gEEQc

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
guccismith
Novice

Hi Jean,

Thanks for the update and taking the effort to verify this. I can indeed confirm that this issue is now resolved with the latest update of C&C Remastered.

Best regards,

Linus

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello guccismith,

Thanks for reporting back to us. We are glad to hear that the issue is now solved and everything is working fine.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos