Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1612 Discussions

Driver installation

Saabjock
Novice

Has anybody else had issues installing the driver package in .exe form on an AM4 based motherboard?

To date every one of the eight drivers...starting with 3517 all the way to 4146, has required the manual install from the .zip archive.

Once manually installed, the card runs great....no crashes, no throttling, no weirdness.

I never install the Intel control panel.                                

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Saabjock
Novice
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Your link is nevergoing to work unless you fix it.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
Saabjock
Novice

No option to edit threads.

New link provided.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

New link is just as bad as the old link.

And, look to the right of your post for the three verticle dots, and select EDIT. 

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
Saabjock
Novice

That 'edit' option does not exist for me when I click to expand the 'show options menu'.

I opened Intel web page with both Opera and Microsoft Edge. Same result.

I can see the error in the first link, as it shows http twice.

That is what I wanted to edit initially.

I can copy and paste the second link to start the video.

It just does not open as a link directly from here.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Saabjock

Thank you for posting on the Intel® ARC™ Graphics. I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues when trying to install the driver for yourIntel® Arc™ Graphics. Please let us know the following information:

• What is exactly the issue that happens when trying to install the driver through the .exe file?
  • Share screenshots of the issue or error messages if any.
  • Create a log file with the Intel® System Support Utility and attach it. 

Best regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Saabjock

I hope you are doing fine. 

Were you able to check the previous post? 

Let us know if you still need assistance. 

Best regards,  

Hugo O.  

0 Kudos
Saabjock
Novice

I have sent that Intel system support utility file numerous times now...even supplied video to corroborate the issue.

The driver installation starts off normally enough... looking for supported hardware.

While scanning, the mouse cursor becomes erratic followed by a full computer freeze and subsequent Green screen of death (GSOD).

A full restart of the computer and subsequent log into windows will see the driver installation process try to automatically resume from where it crashed but will do the exact same thing....i.e crash.

You will then need to restart in safe mode to get that automatic process to stop repeating itself and to change the video adapter driver to the standard VGA in the Device Manager.

At that point, you can then restart...download and extract the .zip driver and manually install it by selecting update driver from the VGA entry in the Device Manager.

You then point it to the driver file in the 'graphics' folder of the extracted directory where it installs successfully.

If you want to install ARC Control, you then go back into the resources-extras folder... also in that extracted directory and run the .exe for that program.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Saabjock

Based on the video, the issue is happening on a Windows Insider Preview Build. These builds could cause issues and instability. Please let's try installing a stable Windows on your system, the latest version is 22621 and let us know if the same issue happens.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Saabjock

Were you able to check the previous post and test a stable Windows build? Please let us know if the issue persisted.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Saabjock

I hope you are doing fine. 

I have not heard back from you. So I will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Best regards, 

Hugo O.  

0 Kudos
Saabjock
Novice

The Intel driver installation is the only task that has ever caused a (GSOD) green screen of death on my computer.

The system is using Windows build 22621 and is extremely stable in every other task...web browsing, gaming, editing, content creation, etc...

It is even rock solid with the Intel driver installed.

The only issue, is the fact that only Intel drivers have to be manually installed by extracting them from a zipped archive.

All other drivers install normally from either an exe or zip file.

I can live with manual installs, if there isn't another solution to Intel driver installation that does not require disrupting the entire apple cart.

I did however notice that the newest driver ending in 4255 released yesterday (03/23/2023) does not show a .zipped option.

Will one be coming in the future? 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Saabjock

Thank you for your response. We have tested the driver installation on AMD platforms however this issue that you are reporting does not happen in our system and seems to be isolated to your system.

• Could you please do a clean installation of the Operating System and check if the issue persists?
  • Also, please share with us the log files from the Intel® System Support Utility that we requested in previous posts.

In regards to the .zip file for the new driver 31.0.101.4255, I will check with our team and will let you know once I have the information.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
CraigAV
Beginner

Please spare us the "seems to be isolated to your system" response in the future Hugo/Intel.  The Intel Arc .exc files are not ready for prime time for many people.  As others have said, many of us are here to help (Us and Intel) get thru this rough time.

My intel 10th gen Intel system with newest igpu driver didn't do well with the first ARC update I did 6 days ago.  .4146  ended in a Windows Blue Screen Stop Code: Driver_Verifier_DMA_Violation. Restart showed the driver, but no ARC Control.  Day later I downloaded the zip file and extracted the Arc Control .exc.  Both driver and arc control worked well with stable OC of 2650 mhz.  Burn test at 100% gpu usage pulling 54 watts for over 10 min.  GPU 76deg/ Memory 86deg. Impressed.  Failing to wake from sleep only happens if programs are running.  Once it resulted in a Windows stop code: Video_Scheduler_Internal_Error.   Happy ARC owner so far 6 days in.

So I felt a little adventurous today when I saw the new .4255 driver in .exc form only and went ahead and gave it a go. Hours later I will say that .4255 gave ME a go.   WOW.  Almost stopped when I couldn't unselect the driver assist program. I have not read good things about it. Only wanted the driver and Arc Control updates.  So back to being adventurous (and maybe a helpful customer) I took the full update.  Opps.   Ended in black screen.  Hard reboot brought back what appeared to be a good install.   Launch the unwanted Intel Driver & Support Assistant program only to have it launch a web page that says "Something when wrong with your scan".  Tried to uninstall D&SA and you can't.  Didn't want it and know can't remove.  Hmmmm.   Arc Control updates seems to be ok.

Now the fun really starts.  I try to open Magix Vegas 20 and am greeted with windows BAD IMAGE error screen with note that the System32/MSVCP140.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error.  Error status: 0xc000012f   It said to reinstall the program.  OK, there was a new update of Vegas I was going to load anyway.  Ugh, first bad install of Vegas ever for me.

Vegas Installer Error code during uninstallation phase:  An installation for Microsoft Visual C++ 2022 X64 Minimum Runtime-14.32.31332 is currently suspended. You must undo the changes made by that installation to continue. Do you want to undo those changes?  Yes gets me to sfvstwrap.dll failing later in the installation.  Looks like the tested Intel exc file toasted my Microsoft visual C++ Redistributables.  Quick search gets me to the info I need to uninstall all visual c++ apps, reboot,  download five files and install in chronological order.   Last one (2015-2022)  kicks up error code: vc_runtimeMinimum_x86.msi cannot be found.   Double ugh.  

Now my searches gets me to the point of diving into the regedit for the first time.  Did I say adventure yet?  Deleting all folders that referenced Visual C++ in   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products  let me finish the .  This allowed me to successfully install Vegas software.  All seems to be good now. I rolled back the driver in device manager at some point at the start of this adventure and I won't be going back to .4255 until there is a zip option.  

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Saabjock

In regard to the .zip file for the driver download we will no longer be publishing them for this version 4255 or future versions of the driver. You can use a third-party tool like 7-Zip to extract the .zip from the .exe file. Please note this is a third-party tool not endorsed or developed by Intel.

Please share with us the outcome of the troubleshooting step provided in my previous post and share with us the log file from the Intel® System Support Utility tool.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Saabjock

We would like to know if you were able to complete the Windows reinstallation on your system. And in case the issue persisted, please share with us the report from the  Intel® System Support Utility as well we would like to ask you to create a System report following these instructions. Only use the instructions under Intel Graphics Command Center (Intel GCC):

Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Saabjock
Novice

I was able to download the latest driver (31.0.101.4257) beta in .exe format, then extract the files from it with 7zip.

(Never knew that could be done.)

The driver installation completed successfully despite my receiving a checksum message during file extraction.

The card is working very fast, smooth and 'rock' solid....as it has with all the drivers I've used previous to this one.

0 Kudos
CraigAV
Beginner

Saabjock, thanks for letting us know about your success unzipping the driver only from the beta exe file and it running well for you.  I wanted to let you know that I had no problems with a full .4257 exe install.  Here is the info I posted in the bad exe thread I started. 

BTW,  nice driving in the rain in your video. Being an old dirt biker that has done lots of mud riding, I gotta say you have good throttle control.

----------------------------

The Intel crew might not see this but thought I would share some info for other users.  First off, life is good with ARC Asrock a380 now.   Working great in Dell XPS 8940 i5 10th gen with igpu for output and ARC for acceleration.  Multi monitor works split between igpu and ARC also.  Wakes from sleep except if Magix Vegas is running. Vegas is utilizing both graphic chips.

Did the Beta 101.4257 exe full install and all went perfect.  Here is a list of things that I did prior and things I noticed that may have contributed to my success vs. the bad install I had with .4255.

+ I reset my virtual memory/page file to 5000/32000MB.  

+ I turned back on UEFI Capsule updates in BIOS

+ I installed new 6-10th gen igpu driver (101.2121) that dropped yesterday before the ARC update.  With no internet connection, in device manager, I deleted current igpu driver to get back to OEM/DELL igpu driver and then updated with option to not delete old drivers.  This in an effort to keep MS from downgrading to OEM driver in the future.

+ ARC Beta exe forced a uninstall of previous drivers.  I had not selected that option in .4255 exe as I had concerns of it messing with the igpu driver.

+ Beta appears to include new visual c++ package.  

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Saabjock

Thank you for letting us know, it is good that you can install the driver using the 7-zip tool. Do you still get GSODs when trying to use the .exe file with the newest drivers?

If you still have this issue we would like to gather the following log file so we can research this issue:

Please make sure to generate the logs after a crash has happened.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos