Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1613 Discussions

No difference at all between "Quality" and "Performance" when using Arc Control's camera

TheWonderfulPie
New Contributor I

I noticed that with the Arc Control Studio camera, there is no difference at all between "Quality" and "Performance" in how the software detects the main object in the camera. The errors of detection in Performance are exactly the same than those with Quality. When checking with Intel's System Analyser, I notice too that the XMX cores are not being used more when switching from Performance to Quality, the overall GPU and CPU usage is not affected either. I have tried rebooting, reinstalling Arc Control as well as a DDU

I have linked a SSU, let me know if anything more would be useful

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello TheWonderfulPie

Thank you for posting on the Intel® ARC™ Graphics Communities. I am sorry you are experiencing issues with the virtual camera modes in the Intel® Arc™ Control Software.

If possible, Could you please share a short video or maybe screenshots showing the issue you are experiencing?

Also, based on the log file from Intel® System Support Utility you are using an Insider Preview version of the Windows Operating System. We will need that you test the software in the latest stable build of the OS since the Insider Preview can cause all kinds of compatibility issues. Let us know if you see the same in the latest stable Build 22621.

Best regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
TheWonderfulPie
New Contributor I

I don't see what I could show in the videos/screenshots. Everything you would see is that there is no visual difference in the output at all, and you would see the XMX Engines usage graph not changing when switching to from Performance to Quality

I understand, and I'm already in the queue to have the stable version of Windows

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello TheWonderfulPie

Were you able to install the stable build of Windows on your system? And did the issue continue to occur? Please let us know.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
TheWonderfulPie
New Contributor I

I told you that I'm in the queue to get out of Windows Insider, it can take some time, please do not close this thread

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello TheWonderfulPie

We would like to know if you have been able to install the stable build of the Windows Operating System and if the issue persisted.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
TheWonderfulPie
New Contributor I
No, I told you that I'm in the queue. Once I will have the stable version, I will comment back on this thread, I won't forgot. In the meantime, please do not close it
0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello TheWonderfulPie

We would like to know if you have been able to try out a stable version of your Operating System and if this issue continued to happen. Please let us know.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
TheWonderfulPie
New Contributor I

(posting the same thing, in case you don't see comments that aren't replying to yours)

Yes it does, although I noticed that now in the stable Windows, when checking the Intel System Analyzer, the XMX engines are being more used in Quality than in Performance, even though there is zero difference in the final render

0 Kudos
TheWonderfulPie
New Contributor I

Yes it does, although I noticed that now in the stable Windows, when checking the Intel System Analyzer, the XMX engines are being more used in Quality than in Performance, even though there is zero difference in the final render

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello TheWonderfulPie

Thank you for letting us know. In this case, since the issue is still happening after updating your Windows system we can further check into this issue.

Please let's try updating to the latest driver version 31.0.101.4382 and check if the same behavior persists.

Also, please let us know the following:

• Is Resizable BAR enabled on your system?
  • Was this issue happening on the previous driver version 31.0.101.4314?

Best regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
TheWonderfulPie
New Contributor I

Hello, yes the issue persists with 4382

Yes ReBAR is enabled on my system

I am not entirely sure, but I do think the issue was already appearing on 4314

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello TheWonderfulPie

Please test the driver 31.0.101.4314 or 31.0.101.4255 to discard any possible regression issues and let us know if the same issue can be seen

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
TheWonderfulPie
New Contributor I

Hello, I have tried with the 4314, and the issue was the same. This is with Arc Control 1.68.4369.6

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello TheWonderfulPie

We will further check this issue with our team and I will get back to you once I have more of an update or in case I need more information from you.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello TheWonderfulPie

We continue to work on the replication of this issue and we would like to ask for shorts videos of the output you get when using both performance and quality modes so we can have a comparison point to further investigate the issue if you can also capture the Intel Arc Overlayit would be better so we can check the way the GPU behaves.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
TheWonderfulPie
New Contributor I

Sure, I linked it

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello TheWonderfulPie

Thank you for sharing the video with us, this will work to compare results. We will now be doing some testing related to this issue and we will post back once we have an update or in case we need more information from you.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello TheWonderfulPie

Thank you for your patience. After reviewing this issue we want to let you know that the difference between the performance and quality modes on the Intel Arc Control virtual camera is related to the way the GPU behaves on the different power and performance indicators for the GPU.

When enabling Quality vs. Performance observe the GPU clock, utilization, and power draw, however, this profile is mostly evident on mobile platforms where power consumption is key and is not too much noticeable in desktops.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
TheWonderfulPie
New Contributor I
I'm sorry but there's 3 things I'd like to say
First : Then, why give the desktop user the choice if in the end, you say it yourself, there are no difference at all?
Second : My XMX Cores usage does go up when using the "Quality mode", so you can't really say that the setting doesn't have an impact on desktop
Third : Yes, on desktop there is no battery so no worry about power consumption, but using the "Quality" preset does have a performance impact on the PC, because, as I said earlier (as early as 21 days ago) the XMX Cores are being used more in Quality than in Performance
0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello TheWonderfulPie

The options are available on both desktops or laptops since the software is standard and what we mentioned in our previous is not that there is no difference at all between performance and quality on desktops rather that the behavior is more evident in mobile platforms that need more performance or power savings depending on the situation. This difference is only at a resource consumption level.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos