Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1947 Discussions

PC Spontaneously Reboots in middle of Gameplay.

Nazrex
New Contributor I

Starting a new thread on this at the request of @Hugo_Intel 

Newly built PC, just about a week old.

Fresh installation of Windows 10 Pro on a brand new Samsung 990 Pro SSD.

Hardly any other software installed yet other then necessary drivers, and a few Steam Games.

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X

32 GB GSkill Flare DDR5-6000 

ASRock B650E PG Riptide Motherboard

Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 240

Intel ARC A770 Limited Edition 16GB

EVGA Supernova G2 750 80+ Gold

PC spontaneously reboots in the middle of gameplay.  

Exact same issue and symptoms as described in the following discussion:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-ARC-Graphics/PC-Crash-and-Reboots/m-p/1483509

I've tested with the following Drivers:

4335 (Beta)

4311 (Beta)

4257 (Beta)

4314 (whql)

4255 (whql)

4146 (whql)

4091 (whql)

The problem seems to occur LEAST frequently with Driver 4314 WHQL.

It becomes MORE frequent with BETA Drivers, 4257, 4311, and 4335.

Unfortunately, Driver 4257 is the only one I've found that successfully runs ALL my games, while Elite Dangerous, won't even load with any other Driver.

Attached is my latest Intel System Support Utility report.

0 Kudos
50 Replies
Nazrex
New Contributor I

Well this already is a clean operating system installation.  This PC is brand new, and was just built... and the OS was installed fresh on a brand new Samsung 990 Pro SSD.

Aside from the installation of a few additional games, the PC remains in the same condition.

I think I found the XML LOGS you're asking for, and I have them attached.   

I also found multiple events within the Event Viewer associated specifically with the ARC Driver file "igfxnd" showing it having multiple "errors" and "failing to start" on multiple occasions but I do not know whether it is related, because the time stamps do not match my reboots. 

I've attached a screen shot of that anyway, to give you something to look for within the XML File.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Nazrex,

Thank you for the information provided.

We understand that this is a clean operating system installation, and you believe that a fresh install is not necessary. 

However, we would like to recommend testing critical components (processor, RAM, PSU and video card). Can you test the video card on another system or a different GPU on this one?

Once again, we appreciate the files you provided. We will check this once we hear your response. Let us know the outcome, or inform us if you can't try using another system/GPU.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Nazrex
New Contributor I

Hello Jean;

I'm still trying to get my hands on another GPU to test with...

Trying to convince my wife to let me swap with her but she's being reluctant! lol 

In the mean time though, I am also exploring other options.

I found another similar issue on AMD's support forums, that implies a possible BIOS setting issue, though the discussion is over a year old and the poster's solution was for an ASUS motherboard BIOS with a completely different CPU... while I have an ASRock motherboard and my BIOS settings aren't the same.   

So I am looking for advice from there as well.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Nazrex,

Thanks for your response.

We understand that it has been hard for you to try another GPU. It would be ideal if you could try using another graphics adapter for testing; however, if you can't test this, it is ok; just let us know what other steps you were able to try to test different components.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

0 Kudos
Nazrex
New Contributor I

Quick update on this...

While playing Conan Exiles last night, instead of getting an unexpected Reboot...

This time the Video just flat out, died.   Right in the middle of gameplay, lost all Video.  Screen went black, but the PC was still running, and the game was still running... just suddenly no Video.

Turned my Monitor off and back on, still nothing...  Unplugged the video cable, and plugged it back in, still no video... 

Hit the reset switch on my PC... which also, did not resolve it... the PC booted up normally, but with no Video.

Next, I completely powered down the PC... and then unplugged its power cable for a few seconds... plugged it back in, and then powered it back up.

THEN, the Video came back and everything was working normally again.

At about the time the video went out, the video card was running at around 80c with the fans at around 2100 rpm. 

0 Kudos
Nazrex
New Contributor I

Also... 

I just ran CoreCycler/Prime95 for about 14 - 15 hours straight stress testing the CPU and the RAM, and had no issues with either of those.

Now to just convince the wife to let me temporarily "borrow" her nVidia GPU for a week...

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Nazrex,

Thank you for continuing to investigate this matter. If you have the opportunity to test with your wife's graphics card, please inform us of the results. If you are unable to do so, please do not hesitate to let us know and we will continue to research the issue.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Nazrex,

We hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Nazrex
New Contributor I

Yes, I'm still testing and researching other possible causes... However its become more difficult to track down because the issue, is now only happening maybe once a week... Where-as with some of the older Intel Arc Drivers, it used to happen once a day, sometimes even more frequently.

What I've found though, is that with each new Driver released... its happening less and less.

However, as I've said... I'm also testing other possibilities.

I may not be able to test with another Video Card.... but I can at least focus my efforts on putting more serious stress testing on other hardware components.

While I've had zero problems with most benchmarks, I recently ran Prime95 with a focus on heavily stressing the main system Ram and Ram Controller... and it failed within minutes of starting the test.    Yet when running MemTest... it runs for hours and hours and never fails at all.   Then when I run stress tests on just the CPU, it too passes.  So the question I'm researching now is, why did Prime fail within minutes of starting the test?   

I'm looking at the possibility that some DRAM Settings within the BIOS may have had something to do with it... and maybe something with the ARC Drivers, didn't like it?   Or maybe its just the Ram itself doesnt like a specific setting?

Its been a few days since I ran the Prime95 tests, and I've not had any problems since then, after changing the DRAM settings from AMD EXPO, back to their default Auto. 

But since this reboot problem seems to only happen once a week now, all I can do is sit and wait for it to happen again... then try something else, and wait... again.

I've been through at least 3 different BIOS changes in the past couple weeks, trying this setting, or that setting... trying to rule something out... but I've not had any luck with it yet.   But just the fact that Prime failed while running a heavy stress test on just the RAM makes me think I'm on the right track.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Nazrex,

Thanks for the information provided.

We understand that you are not able to try a different video adapter. However, it would be ideal if you still test your critical components.

We always recommend running the BIOS settings to default settings. So we recommend you contact your motherboard manufacturer (ASRock) for further instructions on how to set the BIOS to deffaults.

Unfortunately, Intel does not endorse or recommend any particular tool or software nor comment on benchmarks from third-party tools, as we do not know how they test the system and measure the scores. However, since the test failed when testing the RAM. This can indicate that the system may be related to the memory.

Checking the system reports, we noticed that the memory speed is set to 6000 MHz. Based on your processor specifications, the maximum supported speed is DDR5-5200 MHz. We recommend you contact your processor manufacturer for further support regarding the memory speeds supported by your processor, to confirm if they have validated your processor to support a memory speed of 6000 MHz.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Nazrex
New Contributor I

Well regarding the processor, supposedly, only being rated for DDR5-5200, and the RAM itself being DDR5-6000...

That was actually a promotion, in fact currently still is a promotion... that Microcenter is doing, with AMD!

Buy any Ryzen 7 7000 Series Processor and get a FREE kit of GSkill Flare DDR5-6000 Ram with it.... so if its incorrect, someone needs to tell both those businesses that they're wrong! LOL  Cause they have been running that deal since at least January.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Nazrex,

We understand that you bought this as a promotion. However, you should consult AMD support to confirm if your processor supports RAM speeds of 6000MHz or if they have validated this RAM module to be compatible with your CPU.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Nazrex,

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Nazrex
New Contributor I

Yes, I saw your previous post.

The testing I'm doing is taking time, considering the reboot only happens once every 3 -4 days... once a week, at the most.

So all I can do is try this fix, or try that fix... do this, do that...

Make one change... Then sit and wait... and wait... 

I'm trying a new BIOS update that was recently released, with all BIOS settings reset to factory default... and the reboot still happens.  So now I'm testing with some tweaks to the PBO Curve Optimizer, with everything else left at factory default settings.   Its been somewhat promising so far, but its only been a few days and of course now that I'm mentioning it here... I probably just jinxed it and the reboot will happen within the next 24 hours... 

But if it last longer then week without rebooting... then it might be solved.

Also, later today... Funcom, the Developers of the game Conan Exiles... will be releasing a large Update to the Game, which could also make a difference in how it performs, and all I can do is wait to see what happens with that.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Nazrex,

Thanks for your response.

We are considering further looking into this issue internally. However, since you mentioned that your latest results are promising so far, we would like to wait for you to test this out and check if the reboot issue remains. We appreciate your efforts in trying a possible solution for this matter. Please, don't hessite and let us know if you have any updates.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Nazrex,

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Nazrex
New Contributor I

Still working on it... 

Previous test was a fail.

Found something else though, might be a PSU issue... looking into it though cause its odd if it is... 

I've got an EVGA Supernova 750w G2 80+ Gold; which is actually a rebranded Superflower Leadex ... its old, but its been rock solid for years and 750w should be more then enough for the ARC A770 with a Ryzen 7 7700X. 

But something in the Event Viewer Logs that I previously sent to you, implied it might be that PSU... question is... if that IS the issue, then what's causing the power to spike so much so, that its triggering a sudden reboot?   Is the CPU spiking?   Is the GPU spiking?   If its the GPU, I need to try to find an external means of recording it... so far I've only been able to capture around 10mins with my cell phone before it runs outta memory and I gotta start deleting stuff then start again... 

Waiting for some other third party opinions though.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Nazrex,

Thank you for the information provided.

We would like to further investigate this matter internally. Once we have further information we will post back as soon as we have more information.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello Nazrex, I just received an update on this matter.

While we are still working on this scenario, we just wanted to confirm, if you have the option to test all other components and rule them out as possible causes for the issue? This is just to make sure that the problem is actually the Intel® card itself.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Nazrex
New Contributor I

Yes.

I've been testing other components.

So far, everything passes every stress test, torture test... benchmark.. that I've thrown at it.

The problem persists... but here's the catch...

Its taking longer and longer to happen.

The last time it happened, was on the 23rd of June...

Then suddenly out of the blue it happened again last night.

So...

12 days... I had to wait.   12 freaking days, waiting to see if ONE little setting change in my BIOS might have fixed it.  

It didn't.   Because the **bleep** thing rebooted again 12 days after it previously did.... 

-and yes, it rebooted again while playing the SAME game... Conan Exiles... its always, with that one game... and never any other.

I test this, I test that... I try this possible fix... that possible fix... and then I'm waiting days... this time waited TWO weeks, to see if my efforts were a success... or a failure.

During these two weeks, I have run into a NEW problem.

While playing my game... the screen will suddenly and spontaneously go black, just like it does when the system is about to reboot... but instead of rebooting, the video just goes out for a few seconds, then comes back.   Its only started doing that within the last two weeks.

Last night it did it... but that time, it actually rebooted the PC.

I don't know if its the video card, I can run Furmark for hours... and never have an issue.

I don't know if its the CPU, I can run Prime95 & AIDA64 Extreme CPU Torture Tests, and  for hours... and never have an issue....

I don't know if its the RAM, I can run the same Torture Tests with a RAM focus for hours... and never have an issue.

Then I go log onto Conan Exiles.

..and BAM, it reboots within 5 minutes.... only I have to wait for days and days, to see if it'll happen.   

I thought it was the Power Supply... but I've still not been able to reproduce it any other way... why is it only just this one game, and no others?

If its the Power Supply, well... I was using this same Power Supply with my previous PC build, so why didn't that have issues then?   

Ironically, the only thing I've gotten out of all this, is that every time I install a new updated ARC Driver... these reboots seem to be happening less and less with each new Driver.... I'm currently running BETA Driver 4514... and the last reboot was on the 23rd of June... it didn't happen again until July 4th.

12 days... 

When I first built this PC, I installed WHQL Driver 4255... and these reboots were happening once every 2 - 3 days.... then at some point, they started happening once a week... and now 12 days between?

I'm about ready to give up on trying to figure this out on my own... 

My wife and I are moving to a new apartment on the 25th of this month, and I'm thinking I'm just going to take the whole PC over to some local IT Shop, and leave it with them while we transition to our new apartment... let them try and figure it out.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello Nazrex, Thank you very much for your response.

We are sorry to hear about the new issue and all the complications you are going through in order to try to fix this problem. We apologize for any inconvenience.

We will continue with our research on this matter. As soon as I get any updates, I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos