Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1539 Discussions

Suggestion on Intel Arc Control/Fan Speed Control/Fan Curve

Suzie1818
New Contributor I

*The Fan Curve UI has several problems:

1. The GPU temperature is actually limited at 90°C maximum in the first place, and thus for the fan curve ranged from 91°C to 100°C is useless and even causes trouble because 100% fan speed cannot be achieved at 90°C unless you make the fan speed to be 100% at the previous mark point, which is 85°C in the current design.

2. In the current design, the full scale of the configurable range is from 25°C to 100°C, i.e. a total range of 75K, but the graph shown in the UI is actually consisted of 60 intervals(grids). 

3. In the current design, customization can only be made vertically at fixed temperature points (25°C, 40°C, 55°C, 70°C, 85°C, 100°C)

**My suggestion:

1. Make the configurable range to be from 30°C to 90°C instead so that the range of 60K matches the 60 intervals in the UI graph. The range from 25°C to 30°C is also useless because this GPU can never be that cool as soon as it is powered up and running.

2. Make the mark points to be able to shift horizontally, otherwise the benefit of customizing the fan curve is very limited because what really matters and needs fan speed fine tuning is within the GPU's actual working temperature range that really needs the help of proactive fan cooling, which is roughly from 65°C to 85°C. If it is designed to be only adjustable on fixed temperature points like it is right now, first several mark points are too many and too tight, and the mark points in the crucial range are too few and too loose. Actually the Intel Arc Control's is the only one I've seen that has this kind of design, which is so weird, compared with other similar apps such as MSI Afterburner, etc.

15 Replies
LuisGustav_A_Intel

Hello Suzie1818,  

Thank you for contacting Intel Technical Support for graphics.  

We are sorry to hear you experience problems with fan curve parameters on Intel® Arc™ A770 Graphics. We are glad to assist.  

Thank you for the feedback about the fan curve. I will investigate or send your feedback for analysis, but we require to know about the system environment.

Please download, run and reply back attaching the .txt file of the tool Intel® System Support and a graphics report (For download go the link https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/25293/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html?product=91600 )

Thank you for choosing Intel. 

Best regards, 

Luis A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.  

0 Kudos
Suzie1818
New Contributor I

As per your request, please see the attached file.

It is irrelevant to my suggestion, though.

0 Kudos
Suzie1818
New Contributor I

After some more experiments, I also found that when sliding the mark points to set the desired fan speed percentage, some particular percentage values are always skipped and can never be designated, which are:

7%, 24%, 40%, 57%, 74%, and 90%

In addition, the only one way to set the percentage is dragging the mouse pointer, which is quite a painful process. I always have to try back and forth so many times in order to let the mark point positioned precisely on the percentage I want. Can't you make it easier by simply letting the user to input a number with the keyboard?

0 Kudos
LuisGustav_A_Intel

Hello Suzie1818

Thank you for the information provided. I will investigate with the information provided. 

Best regards, 

Luis A. 

0 Kudos
LuisGustav_A_Intel

Hello Suzie1818, 

Thank you for the feedback provided about the suggestion on Intel Arc Control/Fan Speed Control/Fan Curve, we appreciate the information provided about Intel products. 

Best regards, 

Luis A. 

0 Kudos
LuisGustav_A_Intel

Hello Suzie1818, 

Thank you for the information provided.

To continue the investigation, may I  get your Intel® Arc control version?

Please take a screenshot by going to Arc control > Settings > System info > Software > Intel Arc control version

Best regards,

Luis A.

0 Kudos
Suzie1818
New Contributor I

screenshot attached

0 Kudos
LuisGustav_A_Intel

Hello Suzie1818, 

We appreciate your information. As soon as possible I will provide you with some updates.

Best regards,

Luis A.

0 Kudos
Suzie1818
New Contributor I

Hey @LuisGustav_A_Intel 

I just want to tell you a really bad news that the manual fan curve functionality is totally broken in the latest updated Arc Control (version 1.64.4583.3) bundled with the latest WHQL driver release (version 31.0.101.4091).

You guys really have to fix it as soon as possible.

0 Kudos
LuisGustav_A_Intel

Hello Suzie1818,

Upon investigating these Fan Curve UI improvement opportunities, you brought to our attention, we are working on enhancing it. As of now Arc Control 1.64.4583.3 is not officially unlocked yet. We really appreciate your time and the feedback provided.

Thank you for choosing Intel. 

Best regards, 

Luis A. 

0 Kudos
Suzie1818
New Contributor I

@LuisGustav_A_Intel  wrote:

As of now Arc Control 1.64.4583.3 is not officially unlocked yet. 

Was it that you mistyped something? I guess you were trying to say "as of now in the Arc Control version 1.64.4583.3 the Fan Curve feature is not officially unlocked yet," right? Otherwise you get yourself in BIIIIIIIG trouble as the version 1.64.4583.3 has been out for a week already, dude!

0 Kudos
Programinjo
Beginner
0 Kudos
davfel
Novice

the fan curve still is really bad. the fan is either racing or it is zero. please fic this

0 Kudos
davfel
Novice

The fan still really really sux. not only does it still race up and down it also sets itself to automatic when it feels like it. Please fix this, It is a rather annoying problem and its possible to damage the video card. And it is really loud when it cycles up and down.

Thanks

0 Kudos