Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1834 Discussions

Total War: Rome 2 Black Screen with Cursor on Campaign Launch

Geoseogan
Beginner

I have tried all the solutions from Creative Assembly; however, as I suspected, the culprit is the Intel Arc GPU.  My iGPU has no issues (but it's practically unplayable due to lag with iGPU).  The only campaign that doesn't have this problem is Hannibal at the Gates.  Custom battles/multiplayer battles work fine, but do get a black screen after a couple battles (resolved by restarting the game).

1. Driver version: 31.0.101.4502

2. Total War: Rome 2 Emperor Edition on Steam

3. SSU attached.

4. To reproduce, simply launch Total War: Rome 2 Emperor Edition on Steam, start the Grand Campaign, and skip the cut scene intro. You will be left with audio effects that indicate the game is working, however you will only see a cursor and nothing else.  This problem persists on all campaigns except Hannibal at the Gates.

5. n/a

All assistance is greatly appreciated! 

Edit:

Lowering the texture quality from ultra to high has fixed the problem; however, I am still curious to know why ultra textures are fine on Hannibal at the Gates but results in a black screen with audio, cursor, and game interactivity on other campaigns. 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Geoseogan
Beginner

I can't seem to do another edit.

Black screens still randomly appear, e.g. after battle, so I do hope to figure out a solution.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Geoseogan

Thank you for posting on the Intel® ARC™ Graphics Communites. We are sorry you are experiencing black screen issues when trying to play Total War: Rome 2 on your system and we appreciate that you take the time to report the issue to us:

Based on the log file that you provided, please let's try the following steps to ensure the best compatibility with the GPU:

Uninstall the current driver using Display Driver Uninstaller(DDU). Once uninstalled update to the latest driver version 31.0.101.4514.

Update your BIOS to the latest version. Go to your motherboard manufacturer's website to download the BIOS and for installation instructions.

If the issue persists, please let us know the following information:

• Share a screenshot of the in-game graphics settings
  • is Resizable BAR enabled on your system?

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Veni89
Beginner

Im having the exact same issue, the only change is ill crash on campaign start as well. 

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Veni89

If you continue to experience this issue after performing the avise troubleshooting steps, open a new thread as the owner if this thread seems unresponsive the thread will no longer be monitored. Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards, 

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Geoseogan

I hope you are doing fine. 

Were you able to check the previous post? 

Let us know if you still need assistance. 

Best Regards,  

Hugo O.  

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Geoseogan

I hope you are doing fine. 

I have not heard back from you. So I will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Best Regards, 

Hugo O.  

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Geoseogan

before closing this thread, we want to let you know that we followed the instructions from the original post and tried to replicate this issue, however, the game worked fine and no black screen or any other issue occur during the gameplay session. We would recommend that you do a clean Operating System installation and in case the issue persists, please contact the game developer since this seems unlikely to be a driver issue.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos