Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1539 Discussions

% Utilization of CPU jumps high for a few moments

Medicronos
Novice

I use my PC most of the time to develop and listen to music while developing. My PC specs: Asus Prime Z690-A, i9-12900K, 32 GB Ram. Since I installed an Intel Arc A770 the % Utilization of CPU jumps high for a few moments every time that I restored a minimized program or launch a new one. This “jump” interrupts the music and is very annoying. I reinstalled Windows, updated drivers, disabled antivirus, etc. and the only working solution was to disable the Arc A770 and enabled the integrated GPU. What can I do to use the A770 again?

18 Replies
Jordan6
Novice

Hi,

Also, having the same issue. Where there is sudden high CPU utilisation which interrupts audio in all outputs (USB and 3.5mm jacks). Tried the same troubleshooting as you (and updated BIOS) and came to the same conclusion that it was the GPU causing the issue. I have a 12700k (which has integrated graphics), when I disable my Arc A770 and use only the CPU graphics, the problem goes away, no 'jumps' or spikes in utilisation and no audio issues. 

0 Kudos
EndBase
New Contributor I

Yeah have the same issues with the latest 2 drivers tbh every time I start Fortnite or Rocket league my CPU goes wild.

And music interupts for short period when I start my browser......

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello Medicronos, Jordan6, and EndBase,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing CPU utilization issues affecting the audio. We appreciate your patience.

To have a better understanding of your issue, please provide me with the following:

• What are the applications affected by this issue?
  • Did you check if any other heavy-workload programs are running in the background?
  • What type of program causes the audio issue once you open them? Are they heavy-workload programs?
  • If possible, provide us with a video showing the step-by-step of the issue. It will help us with issue reproduction purposes.
  • Create a report using the Intel System Support Utility (Intel SSU). This report will gather information about your system, such as Operating System Built, Driver, BIOS versions, etc. 
    • Download the Intel SSU
    • Open the application and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel SSU will take you to the "Summary View." 
    • Click on the menu where it says: "Summary" to change it to "Detailed View." 
    • To save your scan: click "Next"; then "Save." 

Best regards,

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello Medicronos,

I hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello Medicronos,

I hope you are doing fine.

I have not heard back from you. So I will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards.

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your feedback. We want to investigate this issue, and your inputs are extremely helpful.

Can you please confirm if the issue occurs when using an older driver? per example, 31.0.101.3490 (it is just to test, you can go back to the latest driver after testing it).

We need the SSU from affected systems as well. If you need the steps to create the report, we listed them in a previous post.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

0 Kudos
Medicronos
Novice

Thank you for answering my request.
This issue was present in previous driver versions. The problem is reduced a lot in the current version, but still is it present.
I usually find the problem when:
-A simple double click over a small jpeg file that load the Windows 11 Photos program.
-When I scroll a web page that include an autoplay video at the bottom, at the moment that the browser tries to play the video.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello Medicronos,

Let us look into this and we will get back to you at our earliest convenience.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello Medicronos,

We are still looking into this matter, however, we haven't been able to reproduce the issue. Our test consists of 13th and 12th gen systems with Arc A750 and A770 using USB headphones and also 3.5mm speakers. Loading the latest PV driver 101.4032 and opening apps and .jpg photos over and over... so far couldn't see any audio interruption whatsoever. Recording of our lab: https://youtu.be/lAY0MtaV5DI

Can you test using a different USB audio device? In case you have any other 3rd party peripheral connected (besides the audio output) then try disconnecting it as well.

If the issue is still present, can you record a video showing the issue behavior where we can see and hear the issue?

Also, provide us with an IGCC report, this will help us evaluate the graphics card Firmware version:

• Open the Intel Graphics Command Center
  • Navigate to the Support tab
  • Select System Diagnostic
  • Click Generate Report
  • Select Save and name the output file.

Best regards,

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Medicronos
Novice

Thank you so much for all your help. I did your recommendations, and my conclusion is: the problem is in my Logitech G560 Speakers connected thru USB port. If I connect it by Bluetooth or audio cable, I have no problems at all.  

I attached the firmware information.

0 Kudos
Medicronos
Novice

Please forget my previous reply,  the audio only works fine thru Bluetooth, If I use an audio cable connected to the motherboard the system eventually fails.

When I restart the PC, the systems work fine for some time. I think the problem is related to video card resources. The active application locks the resources and when a new application try to get access to that resources, it uses all the CPU power to get access and this produce the CPU spike and the audio failure.

The CPU spikes are not present when I use the Integrated GPU of the i9 CPU.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello Medicronos,

We appreciate the information you have shared.

We will resume our research regarding this matter. We will post back as soon as we have more details.

Best regards,

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello Medicronos,

Thanks to your reports, we were able to reproduce this issue, and we have now reported this to our driver debug team. We are currently investigating this under the

bug ID 22016601751

We can't commit to an ETA or a particular outcome, but rest assured that we are working on it.

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

Jordan6
Novice

Hi Jean,

Apologies for the delay in the reply and thank you for chasing this issue. I've had this audio issue since I bought the product back in October. The issue still persists on driver ( 31.0.101.4091). I dont believe the newest drivers have made any improvements to this issue. 

Please find attached my Intel SSU report and a screenshot of a typical CPU spike and audio interruption. This was simply launching Discord, but audio interruptions also occur when interacting with the UI of programs like Discord. 

Kind regards,

Jordan

PH8
New Contributor I

Hello

I am asking for an update on this issue? 
Following this thread from here: https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/ARC-A770-is-killing-my-audio/td-p/1443864/page/2

0 Kudos
PH8
New Contributor I

Bump. Asking politely for any news? 

0 Kudos
BladeOnion
Beginner

My CPU utilization ramps up by 10 percentage points when my PC is idle due to Service host Diagnostic policy service, a service that disappears when I use the CPU more intensely. If I end the Diagnostic policy service task in task manager, the probem goes away, but when I restart the computer, the problem comes back.

This only happens when my A770 LE CPU is connected. When I unplug it from power and use integrated graphics, the problem goes away. I am afraid this might be a driver issue similar to the one described in this thread.

Please advise.

0 Kudos
BladeOnion
Beginner

Problem solved for me. It was the gen3 riser cable of my 2021 NZXT H1 case that was causing the errors that kept Diagnostic Policy Service busy. Sorry about that.

0 Kudos