Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1533 Discussions

Windows 11 freezing after Monitors shut off [ARC A770]

okaay3D
Beginner

Hi, I already described my problem on Reddit, but was referred here, so copy&paste!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor

RAM: 16GB DDR4

Motherboard: Asus PRIME A320M-K

GPU: Intel Arc A770

GPU Driver Version: 31.0.101.3490

Storage: Crucial MX500 1TB (SSD), Samsung 850 EVO mSATA 250GB (SSD), Toshiba HDWD110 1TB (HDD)

PSU: be quiet! 450W

Laptop Model (if applicable): -

System BIOS: 6042

OS Build/Version: Windows 11 Build 22621.755 (22H2)

Affected 3rd Party software version: -

Issue: After waking up my computer from sleep mode (German: 'Energie sparen') I can see the Windows 11 lock screen (clock, news, etc.) and I can move the cursor for some time but I am unable to use the system. The system neither reacts to clicking nor using the keyboard. It keeps stuck on the lock screen. After some time I can no longer move the mouse. No matter what I do the only solution I found yet is restarting the system by removing power. In rare cases, the system can show the password prompt but submitting only results in a loading animation and the system freezing again. (The problem started to occur after I replaced my Nvidia 1060 with the Intel Arc A770)

Have you done any troubleshooting? Can you reproduce the issue? I reinstalled Windows 11 (full reinstall), updated the BIOS to the latest version and installed the latest Intel drivers using the 'Intel driver and Support assistant' application. I tried disabling CPU virtualization in BIOS, but the problem still occurs. I also tried swapping my RAM and using only one instead of two RAM sticks. Resizable BAR is enabled but the drivers application says 'Resizable BAR is not supported by the system firmware (BIOS)', when I enable CPU virtualization. The problem occurs everytime after waking the system up from sleep mode.The problem also seems to occur when leaving the system on the lock screen (Win+L) for a while (monitors turned themselves off).

Further Information:
I did some more testing: The problem occurs when the monitors get shut off. When I let the system idle and the power settings tell the monitors to shut off (black screen for a short moment, then panels turn off) and I get back after five minutes, the system is not locked but is not responsive either. I ran LatencyMon in the background and it showed 'Highest reported DPC routine execution time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation'. So maybe it's a DirectX problem?
To reproduce:
- Go to Settings > Power > Monitor and sleep mode > Turn off monitor after: 1 minute
- Let system idle for a minute (monitors shut off)
- Wait for 5 minutes
- Move mouse to wake up system
- Observe unresponsive system

I translated the Windows settings to reproduce from German, so the options might have slightly different names

Unfortunately, I didn't install the 1060 again. At some point I was just too lazy. In addition, my computer housing is not very spacious and I didn't want to remove the CPU cooler just to replace the GPU again. In hindsight, I should have done it. In the meantime, I have already sold the 1060 on eBay...

I am very grateful for any helpful suggestion! If I have forgotten something, I will try to add the info as soon as possible.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
pkh999
Beginner

I had the same issue. 

In my experience, it's just the screen not waking up. Because I can force restart my PC through command "shutdown -r -f -t 0" when the screen is blank. 

Another way is to wake up the system again after going to sleep through the power button, and the screen will display normally.

In addition, I can't understand why the screen is still black after entering through the vnc software.

When I want to remotely control the computer in the company at home, I have to go back to the company to restart it and wake up the screen. Super stupid behavior.

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K

RAM: 32GB DDR5

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B660-I GAMING WIFI

GPU: Intel Arc A770 LE

GPU Driver Version: 31.0.101.3793

Storage: KINGSTON SFYRS1000G

OS: Microsoft Windows 11 Professional (x64) Build 22621.819

PSU: Cooler Master V850 SFX

System BIOS: 1620

0 Kudos
Carlos_L_Intel

Hi @okaay3D

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities and for the detailed information. I'm sorry for the inconvenience this might have caused you. 

In both cases, I noticed that based on the information you provided you have an out-of-date driver, can you please update to version .3802: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/726609/intel-arc-graphics-windows-dch-driver.html

Let us know how it goes after the update.

Best regards,  

Carlos L.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Chro
Beginner

I'm having this monitor doesn't wake back up problem as well.

I'm using an Arc a770 and the latest 3802 driver on an Intel i7 9700k and MSI z390 CARBON motherboard. I was previously running an RTX 2080 and did wipe the drivers/services/registry keys but did not re-install the OS, which is Windows 10.

The computer does not freeze, it just doesn't have any video. I can restart the system remotely or just hit the reset button and it comes back up... though the video doesn't come back until Windows has initialized in these cases. I don't see any UEFI startup screen/Windows boot animation.

0 Kudos
mindplay
Beginner

Same problem here - power saving turned the screen off, and from the HD activity LED, it was clear the computer was still running - I tried switching the monitor on/off, but there was just no way to get the signal back, and finally had to hard reset.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900 (non-X)

RAM: 32GB DDR5-6400

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650M Mortar WIFI

GPU: Intel Arc A770 LE

GPU Driver Version: 31.0.101.4314

I've updated my BIOS and everything else to the latest available (non-beta) versions.

It sounds like your team is aware of the issue, so I guess I'll just disable power management for the monitor for now.

0 Kudos
Carlos_L_Intel

Hello @okaay3D

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let us know if you still need assistance.  

Best regards,  

Carlos L.  

0 Kudos
okaay3D
Beginner

@Carlos_L_Intel 

Hi, thank you for getting back to me and sorry for my late response.
When I created the original post, all my drivers were up-to-date. In the meantime, there was a driver update which seems to have fixed my issue. The freezing is gone, but in some cases, only one monitor wakes up after standby but a restart of the system fixes this. This might be a problem with my monitors tough

A quirk I noticed after updating the Intel Arc control is that after the system boots the control interface always opens up and always shows the cookie banner. Is it normal for the control overlay to always show up? Should I create another forum post addressing this behaviour?
Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Carlos_L_Intel

Hi @okaay3D

I appreciate the update. In this case, did you previously have a different graphics card on the system? If so, did you uninstall its drivers? On Intel Arc control do you mean the standard interface opens up after a reboot? Can you share a screenshot to clarify? Thank you for being so helpful. 

Best regards,  

Carlos L.  

0 Kudos
okaay3D
Beginner

Hi @Carlos_L_Intel ,
Yes, I did have a different graphics card. I had an Asus GTX1060 without any issues. During my troubleshooting, I fully re-installed Windows 11 so there aren't any old drivers.

Regarding my issue with Intel Arc control:
After Windows boots up, I see a Windows UAC prompt and after accepting the prompt, Intel Arc control appears (see attached screenshot). According to Known Issues with Intel® Arc™ Control (support page) the UAC prompt is a known issue, and the auto start of Arc control seems to also affect other people: Whenever I turn on my computer Intel Arc immediately starts asking permission to change something (post by blank). This happens after every start of Windows.

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
Carlos_L_Intel

Hi @okaay3D

I appreciate the information and details. Regarding the Windows UAC prompt, we will address the issue in future Arc control updates, but unfortunately, we cannot provide a specific date for when it will be released.

Best regards,  

Carlos L.  

0 Kudos
Carlos_L_Intel

Hi @okaay3D

Best regards,  

Carlos L.  

0 Kudos
okaay3D
Beginner

Hello @Carlos_L_Intel ,

Thank you for the information regarding the UAC prompt. So are you aware that the Arc control panel appears after every Windows boot? Is there a setting to change this behaviour I am not aware of?

Thank you for your support!

0 Kudos
Carlos_L_Intel

Hi @okaay3D

Thank you for your post. We are, and working on that as best as we can. Currently, there is no setting that would prevent it from happening, there is a workaround I can think of and that is disabling Intel® Arc™ Control on startup: 

1. Open task manager 
  2. Navigate to the Startup tab
  3. Look Intel® Arc™ Control
  4. Right-click on Intel® Arc™ Control
  5. Choose disable 

Let me know if this helps in your case. It is a pleasure to assist you. 

Best regards,  

Carlos L.  

0 Kudos
Carlos_L_Intel

Hi @okaay3D

Best regards,  

Carlos L.  

0 Kudos
okaay3D
Beginner

Hi @Carlos_L_Intel,

thanks again for your support! My autostart "issue" is fixed by now. I think disabling it using taskmanager did the trick. 

If I happen to encounter another issue, I think I will open a new thread so others with similiar issues have an easier time finding a solution.

0 Kudos
Carlos_L_Intel

Hi @okaay3D

Thank you for your post. I'm glad it worked for you. For now, we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. Thank you for your interest in Intel® Products.

Best regards, 

Carlos L.  

0 Kudos