Intel® Aero Platform For UAVs
Peer-to-peer support only
Announcements
This is a peer-to-peer only forum. This forum is not monitored by Intel.
774 Discussions

AC adapter for Intel Aero RTF drone not suitable

ZChen57
Beginner

The output of my adapter is 12v - 5A, it works well when I don't install the four propellers on the drone, the power of the adapter is enough since there is no load. But when I install the propellers on, and try to increase the speed of the four rotors with the remote control joystick, which means to increase the throttle, after I increased a little bit, the drone will suddenly power off. I think it is because the adapter doesn't have enough power to keep a large speed of the rotors?

So what is the maximum power when the four rotors roatate at the fastest speed with propellers on? And can I choose a more powerful AC adapter for the drone like more that 60 watt? Maybe 20v-5A?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Alexandra_C_Intel
Hi ZChen57, Thank you for your interest in the Intel Aero Drone. The motors require a lot of current when armed and is causing power failure since the wall socket adapter only provides 5 Amps. It is only recommended for bench programming, not flying. You would need to use a Li-Po battery to test the motors and fly. Regards, Alexandra

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Alexandra_C_Intel
Hi ZChen57, Thank you for your interest in the Intel Aero Drone. The motors require a lot of current when armed and is causing power failure since the wall socket adapter only provides 5 Amps. It is only recommended for bench programming, not flying. You would need to use a Li-Po battery to test the motors and fly. Regards, Alexandra
ZChen57
Beginner

Hi Alexandra,

Thanks for your help.

Is it suitable that if I purchase a more powerfully AC adapter like with the output of 15V-10Amps, can this AC adapter power the drone to the max rotor speed with propellers? Because I tried the li-po battery and it can only sustain a very short time?

Also, if I change the battery parameters on QGroundControl to a low value, can my current AC adapter power the drone with peopellers on?

Thanks.

Alexandra_C_Intel
Hi ZChen57, I strongly advise you to use a battery when flying the drone and the power adapter just for programming. Regards, Alexandra