cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CClar8
Beginner

Aero Compute Board M.2 to USB 3.0

Hello,

I want to improve the compute ability of the Aero RTF drone by connecting a Movidius compute stick and establish a LAN with another compute board via USB at the same time. There is only one USB 3.0 OTG port on the Aero board. I tried USB hub but it wouldn't work. So I need one more USB port. I wonder if the M.2 port supports USB 3.0 protocol so I can use a M.2 to USB converter.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi clarence_c,

Thank you for your interest in the Intel Aero drone.

Are you using a 3.0 USB hub? If yes, you should also try a 2.0 USB hub.

You might also find this link helpful:

https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/07-Movidius-Neural-Compute-Stick 07 Movidius Neural Compute Stick · intel-aero/meta-intel-aero Wiki · GitHub

Regards,

Alexandra
CClar8
Beginner

Thank you for the reply.

I think the Movidius VPU stick may work with a USB 2.0 hub as the tutorial shows. But I also want to establish a LAN with another compute board via USB. It doesn't work whether I use a 2.0 or 3.0 hub. I guess it is because it's an OTG USB port. Is there any way that I can have another USB port? Like using some kind of cable connecting to the M.2 port if USB protocol is supported.

Thanks.

idata
Community Manager

Hi clarence_c,

What exactly are you trying to accomplish by doing that? Could you send us a photo of your set-up?

Can't you connect the two boards wireless?

Regards,

Alexandra
CClar8
Beginner

I am sorry. I should explain more clearly.

I use a NVIDIA TX2 compute board to run the SLAM to position the drone. The Aero compute board and TX2 must be connected with wire to establish a LAN so I can get a stable visual position. As can be seen in the picture below.

The situation is that running SLAM algorithms has taken most of the compute capacity of TX2. But I also need to run a deep learning network for the task planning and real-time decision. So I would like to use Movidius compute stick. Since I can't find a way to use the Movidius compute stick on TX2( with arm cpu), I need to connect the stick to the Aero compute board.

Here the problem comes. There is only one OTG USB port on Aero compute board. So I have to use a USB hub. But if I connect a hub(either the 2.0 hub or 3.0 hub), the ethernet connection is broken. Therefore, I want to have another USB port...

Thanks.

idata
Community Manager

Hi clarence_c,

Did you try to connect the OTG USB (try with 2.0) cable to Aero and USB 2.0 Hub to OTG cable?

Regards,

Alexandra
idata
Community Manager

Hi clarence_c,

Do you still need help with your issue?

Regards,

Alexandra
CClar8
Beginner

Thank you for the help.

My RTF drone crashed and I guess I won't do any experiment this monthly. I will close this issue.