cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DFine
Beginner

Aero RTF - Flight controller stops working

Hi

I recently bought the AERO RTF. I installed Ubuntu 16.04 and the last version of Ardocopter.

I managed to fly the drone a few times and run mavproxy (using tcp port 5760) and mission planner programs with no problem.

Today, after a good flight, I tried to run again but there were no heartbeat messages from the flight controller -

I couldn't get connection with the FCU no via Mavproxy and neither with Mission Planner.

Something seems to have gone wrong on the flight controller.

However I do manage to burn the firmware again but it does not help.

How can I check the FCU ?

Doron

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello JustFineD,

Have you tried to connect to the Aero RTF Drone via QGroundControl? Do you see the same behavior when using px4 flight stack as ardupilot?

If you establish a communication via QGroundControla sensor calibration may be required. Also, which bios and FPGA version are you using?

Regards,

Jesus
DFine
Beginner

Hi Jesus,

I don't think that using QGC will improve the result - both QGC and MP are acts the same. They both waiting for a heartbeat signal from the FCU.

I will try to install the px4 and see if something will change.

Is there any script or (linux) tool to do some BIT test to the FC?

I tried to use the 'dmesg' command but not sure what I'm looking for...

BR,

Doron

idata
Community Manager

Hi Doron,

It sounds like the flight controller is working as you are able to flash it. Please try to flash the FPGA again with aero-rtf.jam or aero-rtf-recovery.jam. The recovery will stop the flight controller on the bootloader, try to reflash the ardupilot or px4 flight stack.

Here are some steps:

https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/02-Initial-Setup# flashing-the-fpga

https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/02-Initial-Setup# flashing-the-flight-controller-rtf-only

Regards,

Jesus
DFine
Beginner

Hi Jesus,

I still do not get any signal from the flight controller even though I ran the following commands:

root@Aero-RTF1:/etc/fpga# jam -aprogram aero-rtf-recovery.jam

Jam STAPL Player Version 2.5 (20040526)

Copyright (C) 1997-2004 Altera Corporation

DONE

Exit code = 0... Success

root@Aero-RTF1:/etc/aerofc/ardupilot# aerofc-update.sh arducopter-aerofc-v1.px4

BIOS_VERSION = Aero-01.00.13

OS_VERSION = Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS"

AIRMAP_VERSION = unknown

FPGA_VERSION = 0xc0

AeroFC firmware version = unknown

/dev/ttyS1:

Updating firmware on AeroFC

Erase : [====================] 100.0%

Program: [====================] 100.0%

Verify : [====================] 100.0%

Rebooting.

me@Aero-RTF1:~$ aero-get-version.py

/sys/firmware/dmi/tables/smbios_entry_point: Permission denied

/dev/mem: Permission denied

BIOS_VERSION = unknown

OS_VERSION = Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS"

AIRMAP_VERSION = unknown

FPGA_VERSION = unknown

AeroFC firmware version = unknown

me@Aero-RTF1:~$ mavproxy.py --master=tcp:127.0.0.1:5760

WARNING: You should uninstall ModemManager as it conflicts with APM and Pixhawk

Connect tcp:127.0.0.1:5760 source_system=255

Log Directory:

Telemetry log: mav.tlog

Waiting for heartbeat from tcp:127.0.0.1:5760

Note that I switch to superuser for updates but the mavproxy.py I ran without su.

Does it matter?

Doron

DFine
Beginner

Hi

I installed ubuntu and all the other programs (python, mavproxy, ...) and flash the FPGA and the arducopter.px4.

Only after I inserted the command: "sudo apt-get autoremove modemmanager" - the FCU back to life.

Thanks,

Doron Fine

DFine
Beginner

Hi Jesus,

Unfortunately I was happy too soon. The FCU is unstable - sometimes it sends mavlink messages but most of the time does not.

Very weird the following sequence to receive message from FCU:

I first run: mavproxy.py --master=tcp:127.0.01:5760 - nothing happens

Then I run: mavproxy.py --master=/dev/ttyS1,115200 - still nothing happens

but at the third try when I run again mavproxy.py --master=tcp:127.0.01:5760 - I receive mavlink messages.

Where is the script that link the tcp port 5760 to ttyS1 ? I think the problems start there

BR.

Doron

idata
Community Manager

Hi Doron,

The mavlink-router configuration file is located in the /etc/mavlink-router/main.conf. If you continue to have issues with the configuration, I suggest you to re-install Ubuntu and setup the Aero again.

Regards,

Jesus
DFine
Beginner

Hi Jesus,

I think i know what gone wrong:

The last time I wrote the parameters into the FCU (using MP) - I also wrote SERIAL* parameters that changed the baud rate between the AERO board and the FCU.

I edited the main.conf and changed there the baud rates - Now it seems to work just fine.

Regards,

Doron

idata
Community Manager

Great, I'm glad you figured it out!

Regards,

Jesus
SBijj
Beginner

Hello Doron,

Im running into the same problem. I connected to MP via telemetry radio and changed parameters which may have resulted in the FCU going dead. Could you please let me know how you changed the baud rates and the actual value of the rates.

Thanks,

Suraj