cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SAhma5
Novice

Aero RTF Struggling To Hover

Hi,

I am having this problem with aero rtf to getting it to hover inside vicon motion capture area in offboard mode. I am publishing vicon pose to /mavros/mocap/pose topic (Ive tried /mavros/fake_gps/mocap/tf as well). Its position is not stable while hovering. Ive attached the outputs of my ubuntu terminals. Top left terminal shows the output from mavros. The middle one on the right shows the output of aero-get-version.py. The setpoint is (0,0,1) for this trial. I thought its a PID gain tuning problem but I tried tuning them too, couldnt get it any better. Ive attached the video to show clearer picture of the problem. Thanks!!!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi Shakeeb,

Thank you for your interest in the Intel Aero drone.

Please make sure you are booting in the right kernel.

The output to the command uname -a should be:

Linux intel-aero-rtf-ubuntu 4.10.0-28-generic # 32~16.04.2-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jul 20 10:19:48 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Regards,

Alexandra
SAhma5
Novice

Hi Alexandra,

Thank you for replying. My current kernel was 4.4.76-aero-1.2, because when I tried updating the fcu firmware (aerofc-update.sh nuttx-aerofc-v1-default.px4) after booting in any other kernel, it used to hang at "If the board does not respond within 1-2 seconds, unplug and re-plug the USB connector." I tried "aerofc-force-bootloader-pin.py 1" before updating followed by "aerofc-force-bootloader-pin.py 0" too, couldnt make it work.

Now that everything is updated using kernel "4.4.76-aero-1.2", I tried booting the system up in kernel "4.10.0-28-generic", I am getting fcu device error. Ive attached the terminal output.

Thank you

Shakeeb

idata
Community Manager

Hi Shakeeb,

We didn't use Aero with a motion capture system. Also, the Aero Drone needs to boot into the correct kernel all the time to function properly. The last screenshot shows a connection refused from the FCU, ensure that the right kernel is booted and that the mavlink-router is running.

Regards,

Alexandra
SAhma5
Novice

Hi Alexandra,

Shouldnt the mavros connect to the fcu for offboard mode even if motion capture is not used? What should I do to connect the px4 fcu to ros in the right kernel through mavros?

Thank you

GBrun1
Beginner

Hi,

I am having the same problem. I am using motion capture for position feedback.

It takes off from the ground and wanders around the position setpoint.

It appears to be a tuning issue but I haven't been able to improve it by changing

parameters in QGC.

idata
Community Manager

Hi,

We haven't done testing with the motion capture system, but we can look into it and provide suggestions.

Regards,

Alexandra
SAhma5
Novice

Thank you Alexandra. Looking forward to your comments. Please let me know if I can provide any other information.

idata
Community Manager

Hi shakeeb,

Looking into motion capture systems with PX4, the firmware needs to be using LPE as it's estimator. By default, Aero uses the EKF2 estimator. Please try to change the estimator to LPE and see if that improves the stability inside the motion capture system. You may also need to change additional parameters, take a look at the following page for additional information. As I previously mentioned, we have not done any tests using motion capture systems.

Hope this helps!

https://dev.px4.io/en/ros/external_position_estimation.html https://dev.px4.io/en/ros/external_position_estimation.html

Regards,

Alexandra
wliu28
Beginner

Hi,

Have you ever solved the problem and can your drone hover stable in vicon environment?

Would you mind sharing your solutions?

Thank you!

Weiqi Liu

SAhma5
Novice

Hi weiqi_liu . Sorry I just saw your comment. I couldnt make it to hover stably in VICON. I actually ultimately wanted to make it capable of VIO but after some testing in vicon. I am now trying VIO but I couldnt find enough documentation for that either.

For VICON, I used mavros with feeback from motion capture system published on mocap/pose topic. If you could specify what ayou are doing currently Ill be able to answer better.

Thank you

idata
Community Manager

Hi,

Where can I find the LPE version of the PX4?