Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

Aero RTF platform --> maximum motors?

My plan is to graft the Aero flight controller hardware from the RTF kit onto a larger (12 motor) air frame once I get familiar with the platform. What is the maximum number of props the flight controller as supplied with the Aero RTF drone kit will support? Is it integrated into the Aero board or a discrete off-the-shelf PixHawk?

Is it a Pixhawk 2 or 2.1? An OEM Pixhawk has 12 PWM outputs and should work fine. Does the Aero support motor control via S.Bus?

Are more detailed specifications for the Aero available anywhere? If so, where?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi DGeise,

Thanks for reaching out.

Let us investigate more about your questions, I will let you know when we have updates. You can find a lot of useful information in the following link: https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki

Have a nice day.

Regards,

-Leonardo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Thanks for taking a look Leonardo. From what I can tell on the github wiki it looks possible to attach an external PixHawk. This implies supporting 12-PWM outputs is at least indirectly possible.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but two key areas where I need information are: 1) hardware specifics & 2) application information. I.e. what capabilities are enabled 'out of the box' on the RTF platform. For example, is sense-and-avoid capability enabled or do I have to write the application? How does Intel's RealSense stack relate to Dronecode? etc. The information I've found so far seems to jump from marketing material to low-level technical details with not much in-between.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi DGeise,

We are still investigating, I will reply you when we have something helpful. Right now you can check the hardware specifications here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/aero/drone-dev-kit

We appreciate your patience.

Regards,

-Leonardo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi DGeise,

I found some information about your questions, I hope you find it helpful:

The Intel Aero Ready to Fly Drone comes with 4 motors and 4 ESCs, it might be possible to upgrade to 6 motors and 6 ESCs but this has not been validated. The RTF drone also comes with an Intel Aero Flight Controller with Dronecode* PX4* autopilot and it isn't possible to control the motor via S.Bus because s not enabled in the Intel Aero Platform.

At last the RTF drone provides standard drone flight controls. Examples showcasing sense and avoid will be available soon.

Thank you for your patience.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

-Leonardo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi Leonardo,

Thanks for taking the time to look into this for me and apologies for the delay in my response.

So it looks like I'm going to have to install an external PixHawk to get the number of output channels I need. This is acceptable as long as it works.

Do you (or anyone else reading this) know if the Aero RTF platform is or is planned to be compatible with the new PixHawk 2.0 flight controller?

Regards,

Dave

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi DGeise,

Thank you so much for letting us know, I found this guide that can be helpful using the Pixhawk: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-aero-boards/000023093.html

About the Pixhawk 2.0, I didn't find any useful information, so I can't help you answering it because I'm not sure about it, but hopefully they will be compatible.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

-Leonardo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

Hi ,

I am curious to see if you are able to transfer the Aero board and put it in 6-8 motors frame. Could you please provide us with more information about your experience to do that because I have to do the same thing soon and I guess other members will see your experience extremely helpful?

Regards,

Soubhi.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi DGeise,

How is your project going so far. Were you able to connect more than 4 motors using an Intel Aero Compute Board or connecting a Pixhawk. I am planning to purchase an Intel Aero Compute Board for my Hexacopter project. Any input from your part regarding this would be motivating and informative.

Thank you.

Robin.

0 Kudos