Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ZachK_Intel

Aero Software Release - BIOS Update

An Aero Software Update to v1.6.1 has been added, updating the BIOS to v 1.00.16.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27399/Intel-Aero-Platform-for-UAVs-Installation-Files?prod... Download Intel® Aero Platform for UAVs Installation Files

Please also note the updated Wiki page in the "Initial Setup" section for instructions on how to remove v 1.00.13 and add v 1.00.16.

https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/02-Initial-Setup# flashing-the-bios Wiki link to flashing the BIOS for Yocto

https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/90-(References)-OS-user-Installation# bios Wiki link to flashing the BIOS for Ubuntu

0 Kudos
10 Replies
LFerr7
New Contributor I

Dear zack_intel,

where are we supposed to copy the aero-bios-01.00.16-r1.corei7_64.rpm file?

The wiki says "copy onto the Aero disk space." but that's a pretty vague explanation for such an important operation.

Thanks!

Octavian_C_Intel
Employee

Hello Ludovico,

You can download the RPM file anywhere on the drone.

By default, it should go into the Downloads folder.

From there you can just navigate into the Downloads folder and depackage the file.

Note that on Ubuntu, it might not let you run RPM to depackage the file. You will need to install Alien and run these commands:

Installing an RPM file directly

In a terminal, enter:

sudo alien -i package_file.rpm

Converting the RPM file to a Debian package

In a terminal, enter:

sudo alien package_file.rpm

Installing the converted Debian package

Either use http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=gdebi gdebi, or in a terminal, enter:

sudo dpkg -i package_file.deb

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Octavian

CRamé
New Contributor I

Hi Octavian,

I am trying to update the BIOS on Ubuntu but when I run the first or second Alien command provided I get the following error: "aero-bios-01.00.16-r1.corei7_64.rpm is for architecture corei7_64" ; the package cannot be built on this system. Before that error I get about 10 warning messages : warning: "aero-bios-01.00.16-r1.corei7_64.rpm: Header V4 RSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID bb0396db: NOKEY"

Thanks for the help,

Coline

Octavian_C_Intel
Employee

Hello Coline,

Thank you for your message.

You need to modify the control file.

sudo alien -g package-name.rpm (this will generate a folder with the package contents) cd package-dir/  sudo vi debian/control

Now change the architecture (i386 in my case) to be the one you need. For example, I added the amd64 archicture and this is how the line ended up:

Architecture: i386, amd64

Last step:

sudo debian/rules binary

This will produce the .deb file.

Don't worry about the NOKEY message. It's just looking for an RSA encryption on the file, if there's no encryption, you get that warning but it doesn't affect the output.

CRamé
New Contributor I

Hi Octavian,

Thanks for the answer. However I am still having issues. I followed the instructions but it doesn't look like I am getting the debian file (or I could be looking at the wrong place).

I did lscpu to figure out the architecture (x86_64), and I added it to the control file (see attached)

When I run "sudo debian/rules binary" from the terminal in the aero-bios-01.00.16 folder, I get the following output to the terminal

dh_testdir

dh_testdir

dh_testroot

dh_prep

dh_installdirs

dh_installdocs

dh_installchangelogs

find . -maxdepth 1 -mindepth 1 -not -name debian -print0 | \

xargs -0 -r -i cp -a {} debian/

dh_compress

dh_makeshlibs

dh_installdeb

dh_shlibdeps

dh_gencontrol

dh_md5sums

dh_builddeb

Where should the debian file be? I can't find it anywhere in the aero-bios-01.00.16 folder.

Thanks again for the help,

Coline

Octavian_C_Intel
Employee

Hello Coline,

Thank you for your reply.

The architecture line in the Control file should like something like this:

Architecture: i386, amd64

Also, the .deb file should be generated outside of the folder where you run the command sudo debian/rules binary

If not, you can also run the command sudo alien -d package-name.rpm after modifying the control file.

If you are still having issues, please try the steps shown here: https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/90-(References)-OS-user-Installation# get-version 90 (References) OS user Installation · intel-aero/meta-intel-aero Wiki · GitHub

rpm2cpio aero-bios-01.00.16-r1.corei7_64.rpm | cpio -idmv

sudo mv BIOSUPDATE.fv /boot

sudo reboot

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Octavian

CRamé
New Contributor I

Hi Octavian,

I have tried both methods, without success.

I added amd64 to the architecture list as you suggested which allows the debian file to be built with alien.

Then I did sudo dpkg -i aero-bios_01.00.16-1_amd64.deb

However the BIOS version staid the same after reboot.

Then I did:

rpm2cpio aero-bios-01.00.16-r1.corei7_64.rpm | cpio -idmv

cd etc/bios

sudo mv BIOSUPDATE.fv /boot

sudo reboot

And the aero-get-version.py still returns Aero-01.00.13 for the BIOS_VERSION. Am I missing a step?

Thanks for the help

MEppl
Beginner

Hello Coline,

I think it's just the wrong folder.You have to put it in the "efi" folder

sudo cp /boot/BIOSUPDATE.fv /boot/efi/

For me that worked. After that it returns Aero-01.00.16.

CRamé
New Contributor I

Thanks a lot! it worked

ZachK_Intel

The announcement has been updated to reflect the different installation instructions for the different OS options.