Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Employee

Aero - USB3 OTG port is functional in USB2 mode only

Hello,

I'm trying to connect USB3 devices via USB3 OTG port:

I have a self-powered USB3 hub connected to the USB3 OTG port with USB3 cable (SS Micro A <-> SS Micro B, see attached).

When I attach a mouse and keyboard - they run properly. But any USB3 device attached to the hub, including USB3 DiskOnKey, are not recognized at all.

When I run 'dmesg' - there are no logs whatsoever, when USB3 devices is plugged in or out. And the devices are not listed with 'lsusb', 'lsblk' or similar commands.

Even more- USB3 DiskOnKey is not even recognized in BIOS as a boot device, so I thinkg it could be on BIOS level.

At the end I managed to connect a Depth camera via R200 USB3 interface, and it is working properly (albeit via a 2nd self-powered USB3 hub), but is this the only way to connect USB3 devices to the board ?

During my attempts to make it work I also upgraded the BIOS from 01.00.03 to the latest version posted ( https://downloadmirror.intel.com/26500/eng/capsule-01.00.12-r0.core2_64.rpm capsule-01.00.12-r0.core2_64.rpm), but the results are the same - USB3 devices are not recognized.

I tried to look up the documentation but could find any indications that OTG port does not support USB3 protocol.

Q: Does the USB3 OTG is configured to run in USB3 mode by default ? If yes - what are the settings in BIOS that control its behavior ?

If USB3 is currently not supported for OTG port - please update on ETA for this to be functional.

I tested it with two types of powered USB3 adapters and also two almost identical Aero boards ( BIOSes 1.0.03 and 1.0.04) and none of the configurations recognized USB3 on OTG port.

Aero boards s.n: IC00934 and IC00623.

Any help will be appreciated,

BR,

Evgeni

14 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Ev_R,

Thank you for contacting us. As I understand from your description is that the USB hub only recognize a mouse and keyboard, but not the USB3 DiskOnKey, is this correct? What other devices beside the USB3 DiskOnKey have you tried to connect? Also, what USB3 hub model are you using? I ask this because I've seen other cases where users have issues with the powered hub and the reason why devices weren't recognized was because of the cables used.

The setup we use is the one described in the Quickstart guide https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/Quickstart-Guide https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/Quickstart-Guide . Using a USB OTG cable, we connect the micro B end of the USB OTG cable to USB 3.0 OTG port of the board and the other end to the USB hub.

USB3 OTG should be working by default if you already have the firmware flashed and BIOS updated. Please send us a picture of your setup.

Regards,

-Sergio A

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hi Sergio,

In addition to three types of USB3 DOK devices (Corsair, Sundisk, Kingstone) I tried to connect R200, LR200 and ZR300 Depth cameras.

When connected, none of DOKs were recognized at BIOS as "EFI USB Device". It was only when I connected USB2 DOK then they showed up in BIOS settings.

And later on ,when I boot up Yocto/Ubuntu none of USB3 devices are listed with "LSUSB".

The USB hubs we use are IOGear and UNITEK (see attached)

The USB3 hubs are running properly with other HW, but the real question, I guess, is did you ever managed to communicate with any type of USB3 device via USB OTG port?

I also attach a partial setup image without Depth camera attached. As you may notice - I use USB3 OTG cable instead of the USB2 OTS that is supplied with Aero board.

Please contact me on a corporate network so I'd send you image of the full configuration (though it is not really relevant)

BR,

Evgeni

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Evgeni,

Thank you for your reply and for attaching these pictures. Is there a reason why you're using that cable instead of the cable that is supplied with the kit? We suspect that the issue is caused by the cable you're using. We'll investigate further to see if there are restrictions on the types of cables that can be used and if there are BIOS settings that need to be changed.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

-Sergio A

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

HI Sergio,

please send me a link to the cable that support USB 3 connections to the AERO BOARD .my goal is to use USB 3 devices with the board like DOK and USB 3 HUB and cameras.

thanks

Alex

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Evgeni,

After double-checking the thread, it seems you were able to connect the R200 camera to the USB3 interface using a second USB3 hub. If you were able to interface the R200 camera with this second USB3 Hub, but can't with the original USB3 Hub, then the issue might be with that Hub, although this is just an idea because you've mentioned that the Hub works.

What was the difference in the setup between that second Hub and the current Hub you're using? The more information you can provide the better we'll be able to assist you.

Regards,

Sergio A

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Evgeni,

Do you still need assistance with this thread? Let us know if you have any updates.

-Sergio A

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hi Sergio,

The OTG port issue remains unresolved...

The second USB hub I was mentioned to highlight the fact the board does provide USB3 connection via alternative USB3 connector for R200 device.

So the issue is specific to USB3 OTG port.

In addition, it seem strange that the board has USB3 OTG connector, but is being distributed with USB2 OTG cable.

I'd suggest that USB3 functionality is not verified/supported in BIOS and therefore disabled. At least with current BIOS versions.

Can you forward this query to BSP team for confirmation ?

You would probably be asked to reproduce the behavior - the setup is very straight-forward and also deterministic:

- Connect an USB3 device (USB DOK/WebCam/etcw) to the USB3 OTG port with USB3 cable. Check whether it is recognized/enumerated ('dmesg' or 'lsusb').

Expected results: USB3 device is enumerated by the board.

Actual result: USB3 devices are not enumerated. 'dmesg' lacks any log entries as devices are being plugged in/out

BR.

Evgeni

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Evgeni,

Thanks for the confirmation. We'll do some research about this case and contact you as soon as we have more information.

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,

-Sergio A

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Evengi,

We want to let you know we've edited some of the contents of this thread. We've replaced "Aero2" with "Aero", as there is no Aero2. We've done this to avoid confusions. We're still researching about your case and will post a reply soon.

Regards,

-Sergio

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hi Sergio,

Thanks for the update.

I have also forwarded this issue to validation team to have USB3 compliancy tests run on the OTG port.

With Regards,

Evgeni

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Evgeni,

Thanks for the confirmation. We want to let you know we were able to replicate this issue and the engineering team is currently working on it.

Regards,

-Sergio A

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Sergio,

I have seen the same behavior so thanks for working the issue.

This is important as dd runs so much faster on a good USB3 stick.

I look forward to hearing an update in your progress.

As this discussion has been marked as "answered" I'm assuming details have been added to a "known issues" document. Could you point me to it?

Regards,

Henry Bruce

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

We want to let you know we're still working on this case. We'll post an update as soon as we have a solution.

The known limitation document can be found here: https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/Known-Limitations-&-Work-Arounds .

Regards,

-Sergio A

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hi, I want to update that we've further looked into it and eventually found a way to run USB OTG port in USB3 Host mode.

• Before powering up Aero board connect USB2 hub with KB+Mouse.
  • Power up and proceed with OS bootup.
  • When OS is loaded - disconnect USB2 Hub and connect USB3 HUB.

So the problem is still there but we have an effective workaround for it.

Once we found out that the bug is limited to the Boot/BIOS phase, then we started to experiment with different USB3 cables.

We have tried several types of standard USB3 cables and found a single type of connector (seen in picture) that for some reason was able to force Aero OTG into USB3 Host mode.

https://www.amazon.com/Estone-Speed-Female-Adapter-Converter/dp/B00F068T1Q/ref=sr_1_14?s=audio-video... https://www.amazon.com/Estone-Speed-Female-Adapter-Converter/dp/B00F068T1Q/ref=sr_1_14?s=audio-video...

Though it didn't work with other cables that we've tried, I wouldn't actually blame the cables, as the same cables worked correctly when we connected them to other platforms (Desktop/Laptop)

So now we've pinpoint and isolated the issue - hope that this may help the BSP team to resolve it.

The type of connector that did work (but only after the OS was booted, as said above)

0 Kudos