I just received my Aero RTF kit today so apologies in advance for day-1 ignorant questions.
My intention is to experiment using the Aero platform to enable higher-level smart-drone behaviors like sense & avoid and automated landing in the context of controlling larger vehicles. Flight control is sort of a side-project. My primary focus on technology development related to large vehicle architectures.
Reading the documentation, I'm sort of scratching my head. What functionality is enabled by default in the vehicle 'out of the box' and what will I have to develop myself? Specifically:
Thanks. I'm looking forward to working with the community to make Aero relevant to important & practical new applications.
Thanks for your interest in the Intel Aero Platform.
These are really good questions! You should know that we are still working on the documentation for the Intel Aero Platform. However, we will investigate more about all your inquiries and get back to you as soon as I have some useful information.
Have a nice day!
Thanks. I'm looking forward to getting some clarity here. Actually it's quite surprising that these questions haven't been asked before and that you guys don't have more immediate answers. Do you or the other forum ops have any direct experience with the vehicle or are you more of a customer liaison?
And please publish that documentation ASAP even if it's not 'validated'. I'm shelving my Aero until I get a better understanding of what's going on (as described in my other posts)
I appreciate your patience.
I will address your concerns in order:
1) Is RealSense Sense & Avoid behavior active in the drone? If not, what do I need to do to enable such 'applications' that run in the Aero environment to enable such behaviors? I'd rather avoid attempting collisions to see if the feature is active. I'm looking for general sense and avoid behavior similar to what was demonstrated at CES2015. If it's not included, are these applications available? My vehicles are growing larger & more expensive every iteration and I'd like to avoid crashing them.
By default the RealSense Sense and Avoid is not enabled. The hardware is made available for the developer, but currently Intel is not providing the algorithms.
2) Is the optical-flow sensor active and used for XY and possibly Z stabilization?
We do not currently have the algorithms for optical flow sensor available, the hardware is made available for the developer but currently Intel is not providing the algorithms.
3) Is this thing reasonably safe to fly indoors? With proper precautions taken, of course. My experience so far is limited to flying outdoors, usually under GPS stabilization.
http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/aero/intel-aero-rtf-drone-get... http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/aero/intel-aero-rtf-drone-get... .
INDOOR FLIGHTS: Use Manual flight mode (mode 0). Manual flight mode requires reasonable piloting skills. Until you are experienced, use caution while operating in this mode.
4) What additional features / behaviors / etc are enabled by default and what optional applications are available to install into the platform?
5) Although I have a lot of drone & software development experience, I don't have a lot of free time to dedicate to the software side. Is my expectation of getting sense/avoid smart-drone behavior running without too much time investment on the software side a reasonable one?
We are not providing any algorithms, it would be up to the developer to develop these algorithms.