cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CTali
Beginner

Configuring video streaming settings over LTE

Hoping someone can help.

I am working on a project to implement a software defined networking (SDN) technology onto an Aero for testing purposes over an LTE network (VZW) to connect back to QGroundControl running on a Mac. The SDN is functioning correctly. I am currently having an issue with the video starting to appear in QGC but immediately disappears and says "waiting for video". Occasionally it will return but never persist. Also the telemetry information tends to come and go as well (mostly go).

My theory is that the size of the video stream (RTSP) is too much for the LTE network and the QGC endpoint ends up dropping the packets.

What I'd like to try is to reduce the resolution and frame rate of the video but I cannot find out how to do that.

Questions:

1) Is this a reasonable guess as to what may be going on?

2) How do I reset the resolution and frame rate? Is it a gstreamer command or a MAVLink command? And what is the command?

3) How do I prioritize the telemetry packets out of MAVLink?

4) For testing purposes how do I shut off the video stream all together to at least prove I can get telemetry?

I'm quite new to this so any help would fantastic.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello ChipT,

Thank you for your interest in the Intel Aero Ready to fly Drone.

We have received your query and are currently investigating.

I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Casandra
idata
Community Manager

Hello ChipT,

Thank you very much for your patience in receiving an answer.

The issue seems to be with the LTE speed, if you want to test the connection without the cameras you can stop the systemctl stop csd.service , to see if the cameras are the issue.

Also I would recommend checking all the settings so that you are sure that you have set them up correctly.

We have a guide with some tips available here:

https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/91-(References)-LTE-Modems https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/91-(References)-LTE-Modems

Let me know if this works.

Best regards,

Casandra
CTali
Beginner

Hi Casandra,

Thank you for the response. That seems like a great approach to start. I feel like if I can see the telemetry traffic by shutting down the cameras then I know the end-to-end connection is stable and can start to address the camera as a separate issue.

Thanks,

Chip

idata
Community Manager

Hello ChipT,

Thank you for your confirmation.

Let me know how it works.

Is there anything else I can assist you with in the meantime?

Regards,

Casandra
CTali
Beginner

Hi Casandra,

So I was able to stop that feed and am having some issues getting mavlink-router to start (currently getting an error). I have a couple of network things to do to fix that issue, but in the meantime, I noticed in GitHub the following:

On Ubuntu, Intel Aero is proposing 5 RTSP video feeds:

• RealSense R200, HD camera: rtsp://AERO_IP_ON_YOUR_NETWORK:8554/video13
  • RealSense R200, depth sensor: rtsp://AERO_IP_ON_YOUR_NETWORK:8554/rsdepth
  • RealSense R200, infrared first camera: rtsp://AERO_IP_ON_YOUR_NETWORK:8554/rsir
  • RealSense R200, infrared second camera: rtsp://AERO_IP_ON_YOUR_NETWORK:8554/rsir2
  • Bottom facing black and white global shutter: rtsp://AERO_IP_ON_YOUR_NETWORK:8554/bottom

Does the csd service stream all these simultaneously? I only want to get the HD camera over my network and keep the other camera's local. My experiment does not require receiving these over the network. How can I shut down each of these individually?

Thank you

Chip

idata
Community Manager

Hello ChipT,

The camera streaming daemon would need to be modified from source to only stream the camera you require.

There is an easier way to achieve what you are trying to do.

You can use the instructions on the wiki available here:

https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/06-Cameras-and-Video# network-streaming-with-gstreamer https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/06-Cameras-and-Video# network-streaming-with-gstreamer

You will also have to disable the csd service and put that command into a startup script.

Let me know if this helps.

Best regards,

Casandra
CTali
Beginner

Casandra,

That did the trick! Thank you so much for your help.

Chip