Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

Debugging Board issue

I am trying to see if I have a bad Board. I powered up my board, and various LED's lit up, however I can't get any video output via HDMI. ( I had to buy a special Micro HDMI cable) . I Then tried to plug the board up to a Mac via a USB 3 Cable (basically a USB Hard drive cable) , and using Apple's USB prober to see if the board comes up in Device mode , (at least you would see the descriptors), I got nothing.

Is there a debug serial port I can use to see if the board is booting up?

At this point, I have a very expensive $400 door stop.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

I think Intel needs to provide better documentation on setting this board up. There are a lot of connectors (and some of them are not keyed).

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello irieblue,

Thank you for interest in the Intel® Aero Compute Board.

I'll be needing more time to come up with information that you may find relevant. As soon as I find something that may help solve your issue, I'll contact you through this post.

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,

Andres
idata
Community Manager

Hello irieblue,

The Quickstart Guide ( https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/Quickstart-Guide# how-to-get-to-a-console) shows three ways to get to the console. Since you are not getting any video output via HDMI, I'll suggest you to try the remaining two methods.

I hope you find the previous information useful, please let me know how it turns out.

Regards,

Andres
idata
Community Manager

Hi Andres,

In looking at The documentation, it refers to a USB TTL cable. Does Intel have a recommendation?

Is this cable acceptable https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12977 USB to TTL Serial Cable - CAB-12977 - SparkFun Electronics?? If not what part number does intel recommend?

The intel documentation says:

• Following is the pin configuration of UART(s1) located on the power connector cable: Black is ground, Blue is TX and Yellow is RX. Connect the USB-TTL serial cable to your host and other end of cable(i.e TTL) to UART breakout with correct mapping of GND,TX and RX.

Intel docs calls out 3 pins (ground, tx, rx), I have seen usb ttl cables that have 3 and 4 wires (vcc). Please clarify..

idata
Community Manager

Hello irieblue,

Unfortunately, we can't explicitly recommend a certain brand/model that hasn't been officially tested for that specific product. What I can do, is tell you that the link that you provided contains a USB to TTL serial cable that seems compatible with what you are trying to accomplish. The number of outputs shouldn't be a concern since the minimum required (RX, TX, and GND) are present to perform the communication.

Regards,

Andres
idata
Community Manager

I have come to the conclusion that I have a bad board. How do I go about returning it? I ordered it online.

idata
Community Manager

Hello irieblue,

If you are positive that you want to go on with the returning process, please send an email to the Click Support team at mailto:click.support@intel.com click.support@intel.com.

Regards,

Andres
idata
Community Manager

Hello irieblue,

I was wondering if you decided to go on with the returning process. And if you have, could you get in touch with the Click Support team?

Regards,

Andres
idata
Community Manager

The click support team sent me an email, and I have received the information to return the board for a replacement. I do hope intel is working on the documentation , as in the interim , I have had to switch to a beagle bone board to finish my prototyping.

I have to say I find it very strange how intel has released and is supporting a $400 like the aero compute board.

idata
Community Manager

Hello irieblue,

I'm glad that you could get in touch with the Click support team.

I'm sorry to hear the inconvenience you have experienced due to the defective board.

I assure you that we are working in developing the proper documentation and software, but there isn't an official release date, so please keep visiting the community for updates regarding this information.

Regards,

Andres