Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arong1
Beginner

Does the Aero board has already intergraded the Flight Controller hardware?

Jump to solution

intel_adminCommunityAdmin

Hi,

Considering the Aero board has all sensors like pixhawk, and Intel-Aero-Compute-Board-Getting-Started.pdf says that "Flexible I/O connector supports 3rd party flight controller and accessories (I2C, UART, GPIOs) ".

Does it means that actually the Aero board has already intergraded the Flight Controller hardware and the problem is the firmware is not released yet? And in the future, does means that it is unnecessary to connect the external flight controller like pixhawk or Intel® Aero Flight Controller?

Best Regards,

-AlexRong

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Community Manager

Hi AlexRong,

That's a really good question. I will investigate more about it and get back to you as soon as I have some useful information.

I appreciate your patience.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Leonardo R.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi AlexRong,

That's a really good question. I will investigate more about it and get back to you as soon as I have some useful information.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Leonardo R.

View solution in original post

arong1
Beginner

Hi Leonardo,

Tks for your reply. I'll wait.

Regards,

AlexRong

arong1
Beginner

Leonardo R.,

You've been very kind and helpful.

Tks for your accurate reply. Wish Intel could provide the software earlier. &BTW, is it possible for Intel to provide the BOM and the PCB file to developers, so that we can understand the kit better.

Regards,

AlexRong

idata
Community Manager

Hi guys,

That schematic file is not available right now, but we have this new document that can be helpful for you guys: https://communities.intel.com/thread/111462 https://communities.intel.com/thread/111462, and about the ARM processor the Aero doesn't have it, it just has an Intel® Atom™ processor.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Leonardo R.
DDavi21
Novice

My (current, please correct me if I'm wrong) understanding is that the Aero platform contains an integrated ARM processor that is the rough equivalent to a PixHawk PX4 Flight Controller for attitude control. This FC performs the IMU inner-loop stabilization and receives high-level (outer loop) flight commands from the Aero platform.

I recall running across a document residing somewhere on this site that described how to disable the embedded FC function and connect an external FC module like a PixHawk.

I need more motor-control outputs (12) and apparently Aero only supports four, so I'm probably going to have to integrate a PixHawk in the new future. Which of course leads to the question of whether the newly-released PixHawk 2 is compatible. I asked that here but nobody here knew the answer. My guess is since the wire protocol is the same it very well might be.

However, I just today received my Aero kit a few hours ago so I'm still low on the learning curve. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong or if you have additional details.

Regards,

-Dave

arong1
Beginner

Hi Dave,

Tks for your reply. I share most of your points.

But as to why Aero can connect to pixhawk, I'm not sure if it is because Aero has no enough IO to support more then 4 motors. I'm from China and I can not get Aero now. So if you are clear about the problem now ,pls tell me. As for me,I think it's just because Intel have no firmware to support Flight Controller on Aero as Leonardo R. replied,not beacause the Aero has to pixhawk to support more motors.

Cause I don't have the Areo ,I even don't know the Areo contains an integrated ARM processor, and we can not read some chips from Intel's datasheet. I'm wondering if you can give us a chip list you can recognize from your board.

Regards,

AlexRong

idata
Community Manager

Hi AlexRong,

Yes, you are right. The Intel Aero Compute Board does have the hardware to be a flight controller, but currently there is no software to support it. And about when it will be available, well there is currently no ETA on this.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Leonardo R.