Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

EFI issues with the Aero Board

After attempting an Ubuntu install to the eMMC, the nvram on the Aero Board appears to be completely corrupt. I have multiple issues:

1. When booting up, the default boot selection doesn't exist. I always have to go the file manager to select the required entry.

2. Attempting a new install always fails in the grub-install phase with a "efibootmgr: Input Output error" I can provide more logs if it helps.

3. Most importantly, I can't make any changes to my BIOS.

So, although, my board is somewhat usable, making BIOS configuration changes or modifying the efi partition appears impossible. Any suggestions on how to fix this ?

Thank you for your time!

Bandan

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Bandan,

Thank you for your interest in the Intel Aero board.

Please let me look into it and I will get back to you later.

Regards,

Alexandra
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Bandan,

What version of BIOS do you have?

Could you please provide more logs?

Regards,

Alexandra
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Alexandra,

Thanks for following up.

So, here's the current situation:

After my failed previous ubuntu install, the board seems completely hosed.

Powering on the system always ends in a boot loop and booting from a usb to which a ubuntu or aero iso has been dd-ed doesn't work either. I can select "Boot from file" from the BIOS and select the appropriate efi entry but the boot doesn't jump to the grub menu, it ends up doing a power cycle.

I am not sure what else I can do. Any suggestions ?

Bandan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Bandan,

Did you follow the steps in this guide when installing Ubuntu?

https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/90-(References)-OS-user-Installation

You should try re-flashing the BIOS.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Alexandra
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

The instructions at https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/02-Initial-setup 02 Initial Setup · intel-aero/meta-intel-aero Wiki · GitHub won't work for me to re-flash the bios since the board won't boot the Aero image from USB. Is there another way ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Bandan,

Could you please provide more logs?

Thank you,

Alexandra
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Alexandra,

I am not even able to get past the BIOS, not even the EFI shell. I am assuming the BIOS doesn't log anything to the serial console because I don't see anything ? I believe that the failed grub-install completely messed up the EFI partition but I am surprised that this is enough to completely brick the Aero board!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Bandan,

Could you tell me if you are selecting the file to boot from or you just let it time out to automatically go to the OS?

Regards,

Alexandra

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Bandan,

Could you tell me if you are selecting the file to boot from or you let it time out to automatically go to the OS?

Regards,

Alexandra
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Sorry for the delayed response. I have tried out both ways - let the bios jump to the default label (which does show ubuntu) or from the uefi menu, select a file to boot. In both cases, the system just reboots again. My guess is that during my initial ubuntu install attempt, the efi partition on the eMMC git messed up. I would still expect the board to boot fine from USB but it doesn't.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Bandan,

Could you try installing Yocto OS to try booting from and tell me if you can get any farther?

If this doesn't work a boot repair/grub re-installer could help.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Alexandra
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Alexandra,

None of these options work because I can't get past the bios. Using a bootable usb doesn't help getting past the bios either. As I mentioned above, I can't even jump to the EFI shell. I can only do a grub re-install if I can boot to a OS which I am not able to.

Bandan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello Bandan,

It seems like it's a corruption of the BIOS.

Ar you willing to ship the board (just the board, not the entire kit) for us to try to flash it?

Is it still under warranty?

Regards,

Alexandra
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Alexandra,

Of course I am more than willing to ship the board to get it re-flashed. I don't think it's under warranty anymore; so, I am more than happy to bear the cost for shipping and back as well as any cost incurred to get the board flashed.

Thanks,

Bandan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Bandan,

Please ship the board to this address:

Address Removed

Regards,

Alexandra
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Sorry for the delay, I will ship the box out today.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Sorry for the inconvenience, Alexandra. Looks like there's a shipping exception which could cause a delay. The tracking number is

Tracking Number Removed
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Alexandra,

I noticed the board has been delivered. I just thought of following up in case there is an update ? Was the bios reflash successful ?

Thanks,

Bandan

0 Kudos