cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DTail
Beginner

External position extimation

Jump to solution

I am having a very hard time using the latest px4 firmware on the intel aero rtf drone platform to perform external position estimation through mavros.

I have read the other threads on this topic however, I believe my problem is unique as there is no way for me to access the FCU params ATT_EXT_HDG_M or LPE_FUSION through QGC. I can access them and set them using the mavlink shell; however, when I list the mavlink parameters it indicates that these two are unused. Could this have something to do with the aerofc release of px4 firmware?

I have attempted using the plugins mocap_pose_estimation, fake_gps, and vision_pose_estimation. I have successfully verified that messages are being sent to the flight controller using the mocap and fakegps plugins however the /mavros/local_position/pose topic does not mirror my mocap data.

My suspicion that the ATT_EXT_HDG_M and LPE_FUSION adjustments were having no effect, I adjusted the EKF2_AID_MASK bits to accept vision position estimation and vision yaw estimation. Upon reboot, it seems I am unable to access flightcontroller data (i.e. imu, magnetometer, barometer do not provide data and mavros topics are not being published to). I then try sending VISION_POSITION_ESTIMATE mavlink messages however they have no effect.

Maybe I am missing something very obvious here, although I feel that I have tried everything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If anyone could suggest why the parameters ATT_EXT_HDG_M and LPE_FUSION are listed as unused, it may help me troubleshoot my issue further.

Thank you.

dtaillie

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Yun_W_Intel
Employee

Hi dtaillie,

The LPE estimator does not work very well on Aero, please stick with EKF2. I've only tested vision position estimate with a "Poxyz-like" indoor positioning system, but yaw estimate should work if you're using a system that provides yaw data.

Instead of using VISION_POSITION_ESTIMATE, please try ATT_POS_MOCAP along with the patch from this px4 thread: http://discuss.px4.io/t/indoor-positioning-fake-gps-with-ekf2/4539/6 Indoor positioning (fake gps) with EKF2 - PX4 Discuss

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Yun_W_Intel
Employee

Hi dtaillie,

The LPE estimator does not work very well on Aero, please stick with EKF2. I've only tested vision position estimate with a "Poxyz-like" indoor positioning system, but yaw estimate should work if you're using a system that provides yaw data.

Instead of using VISION_POSITION_ESTIMATE, please try ATT_POS_MOCAP along with the patch from this px4 thread: http://discuss.px4.io/t/indoor-positioning-fake-gps-with-ekf2/4539/6 Indoor positioning (fake gps) with EKF2 - PX4 Discuss

View solution in original post

BSzeb
Novice

Hi dtaillie,

Were you able to use position control with the drone using ATT_POS_MOCAP with EKF2 (and the patch)?

I am trying to build an autonomous drone with visual odometry (SVO 2.0) and was wondering if this is the right path.