cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Intel Aero ribbon cable wiring

Hello Intel Aero Community Forum,

I need to verify the wiring in the ribbon cable. Figure 7 of "Intel® Aero Compute Board Hardware Features and Usage" appears to be labeled incorrectly, causing confusion. The wiring for the ribbon cable appears to be a one-to-one relationship where pin 2 of the top connector goes to pin 2 of the bottom connector and so on, however, this is difficult and tedious to verify using a multimeter. I've attached a picture that should clear up any confusion. The picture shows a ribbon cable with what I think the pin numbering is for the ribbon cable connectors. In summation, I need to verify the pin numbers for the ribbon cable connectors shown in the attached picture. In case my numbering is confusing in the picture, '1-79' and '2-80' are for the pins on the connector going from right to left (even though my notation, 1-79, is increasing from left to right).

Thanks,

John

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello John,

Thank you for your interest in the Intel Aero drone.

Your request has been received and is currently being investigated.

We will get back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

Octavian

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello John,

Thank you for your patience.

For this ribbon, assuming it is the 80 pin FPC for the Aero Sub PCB, the configuration of the guide should be correct as labeled on the FPC ribbon. The side labeled for the sub PCB should go to the sub PCB, and the side labeled for the motherboard should connect to the motherboard.

Can you please tell me exactly on what specific aspects do you find confusing in the document?

Regards,

Octavian
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Just so you know where I am coming from, I am designing a replacement ribbon cable. This means I need to know exactly how the sides of the two connectors (80R-JMDSS-G-1-TF) are connected.

Figure 7 of https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/aero/intel-aero-compute-boar... https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/aero/intel-aero-compute-boar... is confusing because this connector has 40 pins on each side (80 total), not 30 as shown in Figure 7. There are two number ranges printed on the ribbon cable (1-79, 2-80) but there are 4 sides that need to be numbered (each connector has two sides). We are missing the numbering scheme for the two connector sides on the outside of the ribbon cable.

If this is still confusing then I can boil everything down to one question: Is my labeling of the wiring in the provided picture correct?

Thanks,

John

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello John,

The numbering scheme is correct but the numbering/orientation of the IO Expansion Connector (Figure 2 and Figure 7) in the Hardware Features and Usage Guide needs to be corrected.

While the numbering pattern is correct, it needs to be extended to 80 pins.

We are in the process of updating the document.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Regards,

Octavian
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello John,

Do you require any more assistance with this issue?

Regards,

Octavian
0 Kudos