Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AVerm9
Beginner

Intero Aero UAV RTF flight issue

Hi

I had the following issue in the first two flights out of the box -

1) In manual flight mode the drone, without any input from my end, flies off in different directions on its own. I have not updated the firmware and have not performed any calibration.

2) In GPS hold mode, the moment I switch from manual to GPS hold mode it rises up in altitude on its own without any throttle input upto a certain altitude (approx 10ft). Is there a minimum/maximum altitude the GPS hold mode requires?

I saw other posts with similar flight unstability issues, would be great if you could provide a fix and reason for the same.

Thanks

Ambika

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi Ambika_Verma,

Thank you for your interest in the Intel Aero drone.

Could you please provide the output of the command get_aero_version.py?

Regards,

Alexandra
idata
Community Manager

Hi Ambika_Verma,

I would recommend you to do a software update on all the components and do a frame reset/calibration as mentioned in the setup documentation. In manual mode, the drone is expected to drift as it is not using the GPS or barometer.

https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/02-Initial-Setup

Regards,

Alexandra
AVerm9
Beginner

Hi Alexandra,

Thanks. I did the software update and calibration as suggested in the initial setup.

I now have much more controlled and stable flight.

Another question I had was regarding the GPS hold flight mode. When I switch to GPS hold it does maintain its position to a decent amount but the altitude does not seem to be fixed (I end up having to control the altitude manually as the drone drifts a lot even if I leave the throttle at 50%).

Any advice for this issue? Would adding an ultrasound or lidar sensor help in better altitude control?

Thanks

Ambika

idata
Community Manager

Hello Ambika,

Thank you for your reply.

I found this guide you could use for altitude and position hold using PX4Flow : http://www.instructables.com/id/Intel-Aero-Drone-Altitude-and-Position-Hold-Using-/

Adding a lidar sensor would indeed help as well if you don't have a PX4flow sensor or don't want to buy one.

You can set up the optical flow using a lidar sensor from here: https://github.com/intel-aero/aero-optical-flow

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Octavian
idata
Community Manager

Hi Ambika_Verma,

Could you please tell me if there is any GPS shadowing by objects in the environment?

Also, how many GPS satellites are you using?

Regards,

Alexandra
AVerm9
Beginner

Hi Alexandra,

I fly the drone in an open field so I do not expect any gps shadowing to happen.

In qgroudcontrol it shows 10-13 satellites on average.

Thanks

Ambika

idata
Community Manager

Hi Ambika,

Could you tell me what is the output of the command get_aero_version.py ?

If you use ardupilot do you see the same behavior?

Also, please make sure the GPS antenna is in the correct direction, and all the trims on the flight controller are centered.

Regards,

Alexandra