cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RKura
New Contributor I

Issue during MAVLink installation

HI,

I am trying to install MAVLink on my ubuntu machine following the instructions at

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-aero-compute-board-developer-guide-for-setting-up-a-... Set Up a Simulation Environment with the Intel® Aero Compute Board Developer Guide | Intel® Software

https://github.com/mavlink/mavlink GitHub - mavlink/mavlink: Marshalling / communication library for drones.

When I cd to the mavlink directory and run cmake and then try a make or the python -m pymavlink.tools.mavgenerate command, I get the following error

/usr/bin/python: No module named pymavlink.tools

I have set my PYTHONPATH to /usr/bin/python.

MartyG

intel_corp

Any idea what I am missing ?

Thanks

Rohan

0 Kudos
22 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

From the look of your instruction, it seems as though you are trying to use the command line installation for mavgenerate instead of the GUI installation approach. The two have slightly different instructions, and it looks like you have mixed the two together into one.

For GUI installation, you use:

$ python -m mavgenerate

For command line installation, you use:

$ python -m pymavlink.tools.mavgen

In the instruction you used, you have put mavgenerate instead of mavgen

RKura
New Contributor I

I tried both. The git clone https://github.com/mavlink/mavlink.git of GitHub - mavlink/mavlink: Marshalling / communication library for drones. created a mavgenerate file. No mavgen

idata
Community Manager

Hello rohanK23,

I was wondering if you have any updates regarding the MAVLink installation, or if you still require some sort of assistance.

I'll be waiting for your response

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Andres V.
RKura
New Contributor I

Hi Andres,

I have been stuck on that and havent had a chance to look further. Can you give me step by step instructions on how to install MAVLink and PX4 and make it work with the compute board ?

Thanks

Rohan

idata
Community Manager

Hello Rohan,

I'm trying to reproduce the issue you are experiencing, but I am not getting the /usr/bin/python: No module named pymavlink.tools error message.

By looking at the error message, the issue may not be related to the installation process, it seems to be related to setting the PYTHONPATH. You may want to check this couple of links just to make sure you are correctly setting the environmental variable:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/18247333/python-pythonpath-in-linux

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/16913086/ubuntu-add-directory-to-python-path

As a side note, do you have Tkinter installed?

If you don't, these are the commands that I ran on my Ubuntu 16.04 LTS system (that already had Python 2.7 installed):

sudo apt-get install python-tk git clone –recursive https://github.com/mavlink/mavlink

If you have any update or question, don't hesitate to contact us.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Andres V.
RKura
New Contributor I

Hi Andres,

I will try this soon.

Couple questions -

1. How can I communicate between the compute board and a flight controller using MAVLink protocol ? Are there any code examples I can follow ?

2. Do I need any extra hardware for my compute board to connect the flight controller via UART ? I am planning to buy Pixhawk

best

Rohan

RKura
New Contributor I

Hi Andres,

Different error. I think I did not have --recursive the last time I did the clone.

I ran out of my home directory /home/rohan-

sudo apt-get install python-tk (Although I am not using GUI). 

git clone –recursive https://github.com/mavlink/mavlink https://github.com/mavlink/mavlink

Then added /home/rohan/mavlink to the PYTHONPATH

export PYTHONPATH=/home/rohan/mavlink

cd to mavlink

rohan@penguin:~/mavlink$ python -m pymavlink.tools.mavgen

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/runpy.py", line 174, in _run_module_as_main

"__main__", fname, loader, pkg_name)

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/runpy.py", line 72, in _run_code

exec code in run_globals

File "/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/tools/mavgen.py", line 16, in

from pymavlink.generator import mavgen

File "pymavlink/generator/mavgen.py", line 12, in

from future import standard_library

ImportError: No module named future

I did sudo pip install future and re-ran the command and still got the same error.

Let me know what I might be missing.

best

Rohan

idata
Community Manager

Hello Rohan,

Thank you for the updates.

I fixed the "ImportError: No module named future" error message by running the following commands:

sudo apt install python-pip

pip install future

Are you sure you have pip installed?

After that I ran the python –m mavgenerate command and the MAVLink generator window shows up.

Please let me know if this works for you.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Andres V.

RKura
New Contributor I

Hi Andres,

rohan@penguin:~/mavlink$ sudo apt-get install python-pip

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

python-pip is already the newest version (8.1.1-2ubuntu0.4).

The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:

fonts-lato gir1.2-cryptui-0.0 libcryptui0a libepoxy-dev libruby2.3 libxtst-dev linux-headers-4.4.0-75 linux-headers-4.4.0-75-generic linux-image-4.4.0-75-generic linux-image-extra-4.4.0-75-generic rake ruby

ruby-did-you-mean ruby-minitest ruby-net-telnet ruby-power-assert ruby-test-unit ruby2.3 rubygems-integration seahorse-daemon ttf-liberation x11proto-record-dev

Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 21 not upgraded.

rohan@penguin:~/mavlink$ pip install future

Requirement already satisfied: future in /usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages

rohan@penguin:~/mavlink$ python –m mavgenerate

python: can't open file '–m': [Errno 2] No such file or directory

exec code in run_globals

rohan@penguin:~/mavlink$ ls

cmake CMakeLists.txt config.h.in COPYING doc examples mavgenerate.py message_definitions missionlib pc.in pymavlink README.md scripts

Please advise

Thanks

Rohan

RKura
New Contributor I

Just a FYI..

rohan@penguin:~/mavlink$ ls /usr/lib/python*

I see these 2

__future__.py

__future__.pyc

My PYTHONPATH variable is set to the directory mavlink that got created after the clone of the mavlink.git. I assume thats what it should be , correct ?

And also see

/usr/lib/python2.7/compiler/future.pyc

/usr/lib/python2.7/compiler/future.py

idata
Community Manager

Hello Rohan,

Thank you for the information provided.

Could you please try using the sudo apt install pythin-pip command instead of the sudo apt-get install python-pip command? Just to make sure you are following the same exact steps as I am.

I'll be waiting for your response.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Andres V.
RKura
New Contributor I

Hi Andres,

rohan@penguin:~/mavlink$ sudo apt install python-pip

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

python-pip is already the newest version (8.1.1-2ubuntu0.4).

The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:

fonts-lato gir1.2-cryptui-0.0 libcryptui0a libepoxy-dev libruby2.3

libxtst-dev linux-headers-4.4.0-75 linux-headers-4.4.0-75-generic

linux-image-4.4.0-75-generic linux-image-extra-4.4.0-75-generic rake ruby

ruby-did-you-mean ruby-minitest ruby-net-telnet ruby-power-assert

ruby-test-unit ruby2.3 rubygems-integration seahorse-daemon ttf-liberation

x11proto-record-dev

Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 21 not upgraded.

rohan@penguin:~/mavlink$ pip install future

exec code in run_globals

What is your PYTHONPATH variable set to ?

Mine is

declare -x PYTHONPATH="/home/rohan/mavlink"

Rohan

RKura
New Contributor I

Hi Andres,

Can you give me your step my step instructions you used to create mavlink.h ? I am stuck

here is what I did:

1. From home dir:

git clone --recursive https://github.com/mavlink/mavlink.git https://github.com/mavlink/mavlink.git

2. cd mavlink

3. sudo apt install python-pip

pip install future

4. export PYTHONPATH=/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages:/home/rohan/mavlink

5. Run command

exec code in run_globals

Also can you tell me where the header files are generated ?

Its a bit confusing. I did a find . -name "*.h" from my mavlink directory and got this

rohan@penguin:~/mavlink$ find /home/rohan/mavlink/ -name "*.h"

/home/rohan/mavlink/missionlib/testing/mavlink_missionlib_data.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/missionlib/mavlink_missionlib_data.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/missionlib/mavlink_parameters.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/missionlib/waypoints.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v0.9/mavlink_types.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v0.9/test/test.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v0.9/test/version.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v0.9/test/testsuite.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v0.9/test/mavlink.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v0.9/test/mavlink_msg_test_types.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v0.9/checksum.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v0.9/mavlink_helpers.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v0.9/protocol.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/test/windows/targetver.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/test/windows/stdafx.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v2.0/mavlink_types.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v2.0/checksum.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v2.0/mavlink_sha256.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v2.0/mavlink_conversions.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v2.0/mavlink_get_info.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v2.0/mavlink_helpers.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v2.0/protocol.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v1.0/mavlink_types.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v1.0/test/test.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v1.0/test/version.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v1.0/test/testsuite.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v1.0/test/mavlink.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v1.0/test/mavlink_msg_test_types.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v1.0/checksum.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v1.0/mavlink_conversions.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v1.0/mavlink_helpers.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v1.0/protocol.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/mavnative/mavlink_defaults.h

Are these the generated header files I am suppose to use in my application ?

Thanks

Rohan

RKura
New Contributor I

I noticed that pip install future is referring to the 3.5 python version.

So I did a sudo pip2 install future and it installed future

rohan@penguin:~/mavlink$ sudo pip2 install future

The directory '/home/rohan/.cache/pip/http' or its parent directory is not owned by the current user and the cache has been disabled. Please check the permissions and owner of that directory. If executing pip with sudo, you may want sudo's -H flag.

The directory '/home/rohan/.cache/pip' or its parent directory is not owned by the current user and caching wheels has been disabled. check the permissions and owner of that directory. If executing pip with sudo, you may want sudo's -H flag.

Collecting future

Installing collected packages: future

Successfully installed future-0.16.0

But then I ran the command

usage: mavgen.py [-h] [-o OUTPUT]

[--lang {C,CS,JavaScript,Python,WLua,ObjC,Swift,Java,C++11}]

[--wire-protocol {0.9,1.0,2.0}] [--no-validate]

[--error-limit ERROR_LIMIT]

XML [XML ...]

mavgen.py: error: too few arguments

RKura
New Contributor I

I ran

pymavlink/tools/mavgen.py -o generated/ --lang C --wire-protocol 2.0 message_definitions/v1.0/standard.xml

rohan@penguin:~/mavlink$ pymavlink/tools/mavgen.py -o generated/ --lang C --wire-protocol 2.0 message_definitions/v1.0/standard.xml

WARNING: Unable to load XML validator libraries. XML validation will not be performed

Validation skipped for message_definitions/v1.0/standard.xml.

Parsing message_definitions/v1.0/standard.xml

Validation skipped for message_definitions/v1.0/common.xml.

Parsing message_definitions/v1.0/common.xml

Note: message GPS_STATUS is longer than 64 bytes long (109 bytes), which can cause fragmentation since many radio modems use 64 bytes as maximum air transfer unit.

Note: message ATTITUDE_QUATERNION_COV is longer than 64 bytes long (80 bytes), which can cause fragmentation since many radio modems use 64 bytes as maximum air transfer unit.

Note: message GLOBAL_POSITION_INT_COV is longer than 64 bytes long (189 bytes), which can cause fragmentation since many radio modems use 64 bytes as maximum air transfer unit.

Note: message LOCAL_POSITION_NED_COV is longer than 64 bytes long (233 bytes), which can cause fragmentation since many radio modems use 64 bytes as maximum air transfer unit.

Note: message HIL_ACTUATOR_CONTROLS is longer than 64 bytes long (89 bytes), which can cause fragmentation since many radio modems use 64 bytes as maximum air transfer unit.

Note: message HIGHRES_IMU is longer than 64 bytes long (70 bytes), which can cause fragmentation since many radio modems use 64 bytes as maximum air transfer unit.

Note: message HIL_SENSOR is longer than 64 bytes long (72 bytes), which can cause fragmentation since many radio modems use 64 bytes as maximum air transfer unit.

Note: message SIM_STATE is longer than 64 bytes long (92 bytes), which can cause fragmentation since many radio modems use 64 bytes as maximum air transfer unit.

Note: message FILE_TRANSFER_PROTOCOL is longer than 64 bytes long (262 bytes), which can cause fragmentation since many radio modems use 64 bytes as maximum air transfer unit.

Note: message HIL_STATE_QUATERNION is longer than 64 bytes long (72 bytes), which can cause fragmentation since many radio modems use 64 bytes as maximum air transfer unit.

Note: message LOG_DATA is longer than 64 bytes long (105 bytes), which can cause fragmentation since many radio modems use 64 bytes as maximum air transfer unit.

Note: message GPS_INJECT_DATA is longer than 64 bytes long (121 bytes), which can cause fragmentation since many radio modems use 64 bytes as maximum air transfer unit.

Note: message SERIAL_CONTROL is longer than 64 bytes long (87 bytes), which can cause fragmentation since many radio modems use 64 bytes as maximum air transfer unit.

Note: message ENCAPSULATED_DATA is longer than 64 bytes long (263 bytes), which can cause fragmentation since many radio modems use 64 bytes as maximum air transfer unit.

Note: message RESOURCE_REQUEST is longer than 64 bytes long (251 bytes), which can cause fragmentation since many radio modems use 64 bytes as maximum air transfer unit.

Note: message FOLLOW_TARGET is longer than 64 bytes long (101 bytes), which can cause fragmentation since many radio modems use 64 bytes as maximum air transfer unit.

Note: message CONTROL_SYSTEM_STATE is longer than 64 bytes long (108 bytes), which can cause fragmentation since many radio modems use 64 bytes as maximum air transfer unit.

Note: message AUTOPILOT_VERSION is longer than 64 bytes long (68 bytes), which can cause fragmentation since many radio modems use 64 bytes as maximum air transfer unit.

Note: message LANDING_TARGET is longer than 64 bytes long (68 bytes), which can cause fragmentation since many radio modems use 64 bytes as maximum air transfer unit.

Note: message GPS_INPUT is longer than 64 bytes long (71 bytes), which can cause fragmentation since many radio modems use 64 bytes as maximum air transfer unit.

Note: message GPS_RTCM_DATA is longer than 64 bytes long (190 bytes), which can cause fragmentation since many radio modems use 64 bytes as maximum air transfer unit.

Note: message HOME_POSITION is longer than 64 bytes long (68 bytes), which can cause fragmentation since many radio modems use 64 bytes as maximum air transfer unit.

Note: message SET_HOME_POSITION is longer than 64 bytes long (69 bytes), which can cause fragmentation since many radio modems use 64 bytes as maximum air transfer unit.

Note: message V2_EXTENSION is longer than 64 bytes long (262 bytes), which can cause fragmentation since many radio modems use 64 bytes as maximum air transfer unit.

Note: message CAMERA_INFORMATION is longer than 64 bytes long (243 bytes), which can cause fragmentation since many radio modems use 64 bytes as maximum air transfer unit.

Note: message CAMERA_IMAGE_CAPTURED is longer than 64 bytes long (263 bytes), which can cause fragmentation since many radio modems use 64 bytes as maximum air transfer unit.

Note: message LOGGING_DATA is longer than 64 bytes long (263 bytes), which can cause fragmentation since many radio modems use 64 bytes as maximum air transfer unit.

Note: message LOGGING_DATA_ACKED is longer than 64 bytes long (263 bytes), which can cause fragmentation since many radio modems use 64 bytes as maximum air transfer unit.

Note: message VIDEO_STREAM_INFORMATION is longer than 64 bytes long (254 bytes), which can cause fragmentation since many radio modems use 64 bytes as maximum air transfer unit.

Note: message SET_VIDEO_STREAM_SETTINGS is longer than 64 bytes long (255 bytes), which can cause fragmentation since many radio modems use 64 bytes as maximum air transfer unit.

Note: message WIFI_CONFIG_AP is longer than 64 bytes long (104 bytes), which can cause fragmentation since many radio modems use 64 bytes as maximum air transfer unit.

Note: message UAVCAN_NODE_INFO is longer than 64 bytes long (124 bytes), which can cause fragmentation since many radio modems use 64 bytes as maximum air transfer unit.

Note: message PARAM_EXT_VALUE is longer than 64 bytes long (157 bytes), which can cause fragmentation since many radio modems use 64 bytes as maximum air transfer unit.

Note: message PARAM_EXT_SET is longer than 64 bytes long (155 bytes), which can cause fragmentation since many radio modems use 64 bytes as maximum air transfer unit.

Note: message PARAM_EXT_ACK is longer than 64 bytes long (154 bytes), which can cause fragmentation since many radio modems use 64 bytes as maximum air transfer unit.

Found 160 MAVLink message types in 2 XML files

Generating C implementation in directory generated/standard

Generating C implementation in directory generated/common

Copying fixed headers for protocol 2.0 to generated/

Is this correct ? I see under

rohan@penguin:~/mavlink$ ls generated/

checksum.h common mavlink_conversions.h mavlink_get_info.h mavlink_helpers.h mavlink_sha256.h mavlink_types.h protocol.h standard

and under common

rohan@penguin:~/mavlink$ ls generated/common/

common.h mavlink_msg_gps2_rtk.h mavlink_msg_mission_item.h mavlink_msg_safety_set_allowed_area.h

mavlink.h mavlink_msg_gps_global_origin.h mavlink_msg_mission_item_int.h mavlink_msg_scaled_imu2.h

mavlink_msg_actuator_control_target.h mavlink_msg_gps_inject_data.h mavlink_msg_mission_item_reached.h mavlink_msg_scaled_imu3.h

mavlink_msg_adsb_vehicle.h mavlink_msg_gps_input.h mavlink_msg_mission_request.h mavlink_msg_scaled_imu.h

mavlink_msg_altitude.h mavlink_msg_gps_raw_int.h mavlink_msg_mission_request_int.h mavlink_msg_scaled_pressure2.h

mavlink_msg_attitude.h mavlink_msg_gps_rtcm_data.h mavlink_msg_mission_request_list.h mavlink_msg_scaled_pressure3.h

mavlink_msg_attitude_quaternion_cov.h mavlink_msg_gps_...

idata
Community Manager

Hello Rohan,

My PYTHONPATH variable was set to /home/makers/mavlink.

Something I noticed from the outputs that you shared is the presence of both python 2.7 and 3.5, this may create certain inconsistencies with the libraries.

One of the key differences between Python 2 and Python 3 is related to the future module. If you want to read more about those two versions and why you should be consistent when choosing one of them, please check this couple of links:

Should I use Python 2 or Python 3 for my development activity?

https://wiki.python.org/moin/Python2orPython3

The key differences between Python 2.7.x and Python 3.x with examples

http://sebastianraschka.com/Articles/2014_python_2_3_key_diff.html

Since the MAVLink guide ( https://github.com/mavlink/mavlink) states that one of the requirements is to install Python 2.7+:

These scripts, as well as the generated Python code for MAVLink dialects, require Python 2.7 or greater.

I'll suggest you to uninstall Python 3.5 and try again installing the corresponding future module.

I'll be waiting for your response.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Andres V.

RKura
New Contributor I

hi Andres,

Please check my last 2 messages. I noticed the 3.5 install of future it was doing and not 2.7

So I did a pip2 install future.

That seemed to have install it.

I then ran pymavlink/tools/mavgen.py -o generated/ --lang C --wire-protocol 2.0 message_definitions/v1.0/standard.xml

Please check my previous reply for output and confirm if it is correct. And if it is these headers I am suppose to use.

Thanks

Rohan

idata
Community Manager

Hello Rohan,

I checked your latest posts, and I can confirm that those headers are the ones that you are supposed to use.

Please keep in mind that all these steps are provided by MAVLink and are out of the scope of this technical support team, so when you mention "…please update the documentation on your page to reflect the correct command using command line.", I'll suggest you to contact the corresponding team with that request ( http://qgroundcontrol.org/mavlink/start). The same suggestion applies if you intend to get more insight regarding how to use those headers and how to test the examples.

If you have a question related to the Aero Ready to Fly drone, don't hesitate to contact us.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Andres V.
RKura
New Contributor I

Hi Andres,

Thanks for confirming the header files generated including mavlink.h are correct.

Regarding the documentation update, the documentation I was asking you to take a look at was the documentation on the Intel Aero site that had the command to generate headers not work for me (python -m pymavlink.tools.mavgen)

Can you point me to any examples for using MAVLInk with a Flight Controller if you have any ?

Thanks

Rohan

idata
Community Manager

Hello Rohan,

Sorry for the confusion regarding the commands, I'll inform the corresponding team of your request.

For more information on how to use MAVLink, please check this couple of links:

https://pixhawk.org/dev/mavlink

http://qgroundcontrol.org/dev/mavlink_groundcontrol_integration_tutorial

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Andres V.