Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Issue with streaming video from Intel Aero Realsense camera

20190711_110047.jpgHello,

I am trying to run your program on your website to stream video from the Intel Aero Drone to QGC on my laptop. I have attached a pic of it. The video quality is not right and I was wondering if you can tell me what setting on the realsense camera needs to be changed or tweaked in order to see good video.

Thanks

Rohan

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Issue with streaming video from Intel Aero Realsense camera

Looks like the camera does not behave correctly in the dark. If its outside then the video appears correct. What setting should I change for it to work in less light as well ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor III

If you are using the R200 camera model, it has a component called the IR Emitter that assists the IR sensor with lighting. In very dark or very bright lighting conditions, it can cause the IR sensor to become saturated, negatively impacting the image.

The IR Emitter can be turned off with scripting in the Librealsense 1.12 SDK, also known as Librealsense1. Code for turning the emitter off in Librealsense1 can be found in the link below.​

https://github.com/IntelRealSense/librealsense/wiki/API-How-To#controlling-the-laser

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks @MartyG​ 

I tried a few ways but still see the quatiy indoors like in the pic

rs_disable_stream( camera, RS_STREAM_INFRARED, &e);

rs_disable_stream( camera, RS_STREAM_INFRARED2, &e);

rs_set_device_option( camera, RS_OPTION_F200_LASER_POWER, 0.f, &e);

rs_set_device_option( camera, RS_OPTION_R200_EMITTER_ENABLED, 0, &e);

None of the above worked unfortunately. Here is the camera supported options. Let me know what you think

Supported options:                                   min       max      step default 

COLOR_BACKLIGHT_COMPENSATION                      : 0   ... 4          1    1        

COLOR_BRIGHTNESS                                  : 0   ... 255        1    56       

COLOR_CONTRAST                                    : 16  ... 64         1    32       

COLOR_EXPOSURE                                    : 1   ... 666        1    1        

COLOR_GAIN                                        : 0   ... 256        1    32       

COLOR_ENABLE_AUTO_EXPOSURE                        : 0   ... 1          1    1        

COLOR_ENABLE_AUTO_WHITE_BALANCE                   : 0   ... 1          1    1        

R200_LR_AUTO_EXPOSURE_ENABLED                     : 0   ... 1          1    0        

R200_LR_GAIN                                      : 100 ... 6399       1    400      

R200_LR_EXPOSURE                                  : 1   ... 330        1    164      

R200_EMITTER_ENABLED                              : 0   ... 1          1    0        

R200_DEPTH_UNITS                                  : 0   ... 2.14748e+09 1    1000     

R200_DEPTH_CLAMP_MIN                              : 0   ... 65535      1    0        

R200_DEPTH_CLAMP_MAX                              : 0   ... 65535      1    65535    

R200_DEPTH_CONTROL_ESTIMATE_MEDIAN_DECREMENT      : 0   ... 255        1    5        

R200_DEPTH_CONTROL_ESTIMATE_MEDIAN_INCREMENT      : 0   ... 255        1    5        

R200_DEPTH_CONTROL_MEDIAN_THRESHOLD               : 0   ... 1023       1    192      

R200_DEPTH_CONTROL_SCORE_MINIMUM_THRESHOLD        : 0   ... 1023       1    1        

R200_DEPTH_CONTROL_SCORE_MAXIMUM_THRESHOLD        : 0   ... 1023       1    512      

R200_DEPTH_CONTROL_TEXTURE_COUNT_THRESHOLD        : 0   ... 31         1    6        

R200_DEPTH_CONTROL_TEXTURE_DIFFERENCE_THRESHOLD   : 0   ... 1023       1    24       

R200_DEPTH_CONTROL_SECOND_PEAK_THRESHOLD          : 0   ... 1023       1    27       

R200_DEPTH_CONTROL_NEIGHBOR_THRESHOLD             : 0   ... 1023       1    7        

R200_DEPTH_CONTROL_LR_THRESHOLD                   : 0   ... 2047       1    24       

FRAMES_QUEUE_SIZE                                 : 1   ... 20         1    20       

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor III

As the R200's tech is 4 years old, the options for dealing with low light may be more limited than the current cameras. I did find a YouTube video that shows R200 settings shown with a drone on a bright day. The effects of bright sunlight on an R200 are probably similar to a dark room, so the settings shown on the video may be useful guide values for you if you enlarge the video to full screen.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wO6PQwwNZEQ

0 Kudos
Highlighted

@MartyG​  I am full screen :)

I will try again.

Any clue when the realsense camera drivers on the Aero will be updated ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor III

Intel has unfortunately closed down the Aero platform and are not updating it any more.​

0 Kudos
Highlighted

@MartyG​  Oh no.. when did this happen ? So no support any longer ? Or have they stopped manufacturing the Aero drones now ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor III

Intel made the announcement in January on the Aero forum and stopped providing forum support after June 15. Some Aero drone parts are still available in Intel's online Click store but parts are available whilst stocks last.

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004CfP2bSAF/intel-aero-platform-for-uavs-discontinuation-...

https://click.intel.com/intel-aero-platform-developer-kit.html

Some drone users have started using the modern RealSense D435 camera for their drones now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks @MartyG​ . I will look into the D435 cameras.

I guess I should buy any Aero drones or parts I need now while they are in stock

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor III

Yes, that's a good idea to get what you need now in terms of parts in case they go out of stock for good.

The link below is a good information primer about making the transition to D435 drones.

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D70P000005SLIYSA4/i-have-a-project-where-the-d435-camera-will-d...

Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to help!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

@MartyG​  - In your opinion whats a good alternative to the Intel Aero drone ? Something that is development friendly , linux platform preferably. Any suggestions ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor III

My knowledge of programmable drones does not extend far outside of Aero, regrettably. When Aero was an active product line, I believe that Yuneec was the other main supporter of RealSense on drones, and have pretty much become the primary platform for RealSense with drones. They also offer Aero drone parts.

https://us.yuneec.com/faq-typhoon-h-with-realsense

https://us.yuneec.com/intelaerodroneparts

Highlighted
Honored Contributor III

Spam ad for perfume - do not click on the 'Check here' link above!

0 Kudos