Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WAng
Novice

M.2 USB 3.0 Host Controller

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am trying to integrate a M.2 B+M key Renasas uPD720202 USB 3.0 Host Controller into the M.2 SSD slot. The problem is the Intel Aero Compute will not detect this Renasas PCI Express device when I typed "lspci" in the terminal. Is there any BIOS setting that Intel is setting that does not allow PCI Express configuration cycle to take place for non-SSD device?

The reason why I need to expand the USB ports of Intel Aero Compute is because I have used/configured the existing USB port as a USB end-point/slave and I can't hook up any additional USB devices (such as Intel Movidius) that require host controller.

Can Intel remove the restriction that only M.2 SSD is supported and allow other non-SSD M.2 device to be connected to the Intel Aero Compute Board?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
WAng
Novice

Is okay now. I have got it working. For people who faced the problem of not having enough USB ports for Intel Aero Compute board can consider purchasing a M.2 USB 3.0 Controller. The board that I have got it working is http://www.delock.de/produkte/G_62842/merkmale.html Delock Produkte 62842 Delock Konverter M.2 Key B+M Stecker > 1 x USB 3.0 Pfostenstecker

View solution in original post

6 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello wei7698,

Thank you for your interest in the Intel Aero Compute Board.

Let me investigate your query and get back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

Casandra

idata
Community Manager

Hello wei7698,

Thank you for your patience.

My suggestion would be that you try adjusting the ssd/test with a different ssd if this is possible and this way see if the light is detected with a different or modified ssd.

The next step if this does not work, is to re-flash the image.

Let me know if this works.

Regards,

Casandra

idata
Community Manager

Hello wei7698,

I apologize for the confusion the post from above is for a different community thread, regarding the same M2. SSD slot.

In regards to your query, we do not recommend re-programming the SSD slot to USB. The slot is not programmable and cannot be altered in such a way.

My advice would be to use an USB hub if you would like to have multiple USB ports available.

For more information about the Intel Aero Compute Board you can check out:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/aero/intel-aero-compute-boar... https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/aero/intel-aero-compute-boar...

Regards,

Casandra
WAng
Novice

1. I have tested with a M.2 SSD before i post this in the forum and it is found to be working well. From this, I can conclude the PCI Express interface is functionally well.

2. When i plugged in my M.2 PCIe-to-USB controller, Intel Aero Compute board failed to perform a PCI configuration read. This lead me to suspect two possibilities:

i. BIOS detected it is a non-SSD and somehow disable it via the NXP L04083B 2:1 multiplexer or via some other means.

ii. Signal integrity issue due to the 8.5mm height M.2 connector and the NXP L04083B multiplexer in the path of the PCIe signals.

Can share what's the logic behind the NXP L04083B multiplexer? Under what circumstances, it will disable the PCIe path to the M.2 slot?

Is there any equalization/pre-emphasis setting for the PCIe interface that i can set to improve the PCIe eye?

WAng
Novice

Can you guide me on how to re-program the M.2 slot to accept a M.2 PCIe-to-USB controller?

As I have mentioned in my first post, my situation doesn't allow me to use a USB hub as i have configured the USB OTG port in device mode (for my camera interface).

WAng
Novice

Is okay now. I have got it working. For people who faced the problem of not having enough USB ports for Intel Aero Compute board can consider purchasing a M.2 USB 3.0 Controller. The board that I have got it working is http://www.delock.de/produkte/G_62842/merkmale.html Delock Produkte 62842 Delock Konverter M.2 Key B+M Stecker > 1 x USB 3.0 Pfostenstecker

View solution in original post