cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JGome26
New Contributor I

Negative Z Accelerometer Values

Jump to solution

Hello, I've been looking at the raw IMU values of the intel Aero through the Mavlink inspector on QGroundControl. While the X and Y values seem to be fine, the Z axis accelerometer values seem to be off. When the drone is at rest the values should be at 0 unless if I'm mistaken, but when the Aero is completely stationary the Z accelerometer values are around -999. Is there something wrong with the way I calibrated the Aero or is this how the accelerometer is supposed to actually function. It seems to me I can only get the values close to 0 for the Z axis when I pick up the drone and turn it to its side while I'm still holding it in the air. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
EMyer1
Novice

The negative value is the acceleration caused by gravity.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
EMyer1
Novice

The negative value is the acceleration caused by gravity.

View solution in original post

JGome26
New Contributor I

Thanks for the help. So if the drone is stationary on a table the z axis accelerometer should read -999 or should it be higher? From my understanding I thought that when stationary on a level surface the accelerometer values should be more or less around 0. That's why I was caught off guard when I was getting such a low negative value.

JoshDavisNC
Beginner

I don't know what the conversion formula is to convert the accelerometer reading to meters/second^2, but if you plug in the readings when stationary, it should calculate about -9.2.

Accelerometer values of all zeros would mean the drone is in free-fall.

JGome26
New Contributor I

Alright so it seems that something went wrong with the calibration since when the drone is completely stationary on top of a table it is giving me a raw value of -999. Thank you for the information it was really helpful.